Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Appeal Re Golf Forum ban

Options
  • 15-05-2012 8:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Yesterday I recieved a ban from the golf forum from a mod called "Greenbo"

There is a thread in the forum titled "south county closed" in which I was a golf member until last week when the club closed taking all out subscription money with it. It is a very raw and personal issue for many people as you can imagine.

I was a prominant poster in the thread which has hundreds of replies at this stage. All my posts were constructive and in no way had any personal information regarding members of the board at south county etc.

Some lads in the thread started to air their dirty laundry in public and started posting real names and taking badly about certain people withouit knowing the facts.

The mod stepped in and issued a warning regarding this rightly so and said any more personal stuff would result in a ban for 1 month. Very fair!

Yesterday a poster posted a message which had personal info in it regarding someone at the golf club. Greenbo(mod) stepped in immediately and banned the person for a month and edited their post. Greenbo posted a reply saying

"congratulations youve just won an all expenses paid trip away from the golf forum for one month"

I replied to this post saying

"haha banpie in the face"

I thought the mods post was funny and I was happy that someone posting personal info was banned.

I logged in a while later to discover Greenbo had decided to ban me for a week for posting that :confused:

I have conversed through PM's with Greenbo but unfortunately I think he has misunderstood what my post was. He thinks I was being uncivil to another member and he told me he didnt care if I was being uncivil to Hitler himself and the ban stood!

Have I been out of line or has the mod been very hasty in his actions in this case?

Cheers.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056634323&page=42

#618 #619 #622

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

I have PM'ed the mod in question and will revert back later.

cheers

D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

ForeRight

The mod in question has brought my attention to this post

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=78650757&postcount=557
    GreeBo wrote: »
    Several infractions handed out. The next piece of personal abuse gets a 2 week ban.
    Also, this board does not exist so that people can accuse other members of things or try to "out" their public persona.
    The next accusation, attempt at naming another boards member or making a derogatory remark against anyone related to SCGC gets a 1 month ban.

The mod clearly states that a 1 week ban would be handed out for personal abuse. Although you may think your comment was a joke given the tension in that thread it was uncalled for at the time and pointed directly at the user who received the ban. This in my opinion would be personal abuse of that user.

Ban remains.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

ForeRight

The mod in question has brought my attention to this post

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=78650757&postcount=557
    GreeBo wrote: »
    Several infractions handed out. The next piece of personal abuse gets a 2 week ban.
    Also, this board does not exist so that people can accuse other members of things or try to "out" their public persona.
    The next accusation, attempt at naming another boards member or making a derogatory remark against anyone related to SCGC gets a 1 month ban.

The mod clearly states that a 1 week ban would be handed out for personal abuse. Although you may think your comment was a joke given the tension in that thread it was uncalled for at the time and pointed directly at the user who received the ban. This in my opinion would be personal abuse of that user.

Ban remains.

Okie dokie.

All I can say is I meant no personal abuse in any way at all and it is a misunderstanding really. I am not in the habit of mocking or abusing a user name across the Internet.

The thread was very personal to me as a member of the golf club. I made the mistake of responding to a post by the mod in a jovial manner after he banned someone for posting personal info and made a jokey kind of post about it.

I honestly wasn't aware I was breaking any rule.

Anyway I appreciate your reply and time to investigate.

Can I have an admin look at this issue please?

The closure of south county golf club is a topic I really want to be involved in as an affected member.

I feel I have been treated in a heavy handed manner as a result of constant personal naming and abuse by other people in the thread.

I responded to a joke made by the mod by laughing. If I had known I was rule breaking doing that I obviously would not have posted especially after a general warning in the thread about personal attacks.

Very much appreciated if the admin could look into this in the hope they can see that my post was nothing but a jovial reply to a mods funny twist on banning someone and know that this is a very unfortunate misunderstanding.

Thanks.

Any update from the admin on this issue.

After our club meeting tonight I would like to be able to post in the thread if I can.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

I read through the incident that led to you ban and I have to admit I was <-> this close to shortening your ban. Then I read back a little further and found this gem:
    Sarcasm is lost in this thread.

Everybody is on edge and too busy entertaining goombeeno!

If you have an issue with a Mod, take it to a CMod and leave the personal insults out of it. I imagine the issue that led to your ban was the back-breaking straw.

Ban upheld.

I can't post in the thread in question and for some reason I can't pm you.

I think there is more confusion here?

Gombeeno is not the mod in the thread. He is a prominent poster in the thread who has been winding everybody up with comments about south county.

Greenbo is the mod and I was not insulting towards him at all anywhere in the thread or in a pm as I'm sure he will vouch for.

Have you confused the user gombeeno with the actual mod greenbo in this case?

I think you have confused the two usernames as you said I insulted a mod?

I didn't at all. Can you just look at it again and make sure you have not misread that?

Appreciated.

I'm sure the mod(greenbo) will confirm I was not insulting at all at any time.

I reckon you think I was calling greenbo a gombeeno??? Is that what has happened here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

You're right, my mistake. Apologies for that.

I've lifted the ban, four days are served which I think is an appropriate length of time given the initial misdemeanour.

In future on threads like that where the Mod is obviously under pressure, be mindful that comments like that are in no way helpful and only serve to fuel an already volatile situation.

Resolved again :pac:

g'em wrote: »
    You're right, my mistake. Apologies for that.

I've lifted the ban, four days are served which I think is an appropriate length of time given the initial misdemeanour.

In future on threads like that where the Mod is obviously under pressure, be mindful that comments like that are in no way helpful and only serve to fuel an already volatile situation.

Resolved again :pac:

No problem.

I appreciate the time you took to look over this item and the confusion involved.

Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement