Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland as a host for Euro 2020?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

It's not a good idea at all. Let's start with an U-21 event or something first, if we really want to host an international football tournament. We don't have the structures in place, and quite honestly, a country where so few people go regularly to watch live football does not deserve the right to host a major tournament.

However, if we did go for it, I think we'd probably need to provide three stadiums. Landsdowne would be good for a couple of group games, a quarter final, and maybe the third/fourth place play-off (if there is one).

I guess a bit of work done on Thomond could provide the other, though people are underestimating how far off Thomond Park is to being an acceptable venue for an international tournament.

The third is more problematic, but could potentially be a big moment for sport in this country if handled correctly. I don't think many will dispute that Cork should be involved. It's our second city and should be close enough to being able to handle the numbers of tourists.

As for the stadium, while I've never been I believe that the GAA stadium is a bit of a kip in a stupid location. Turner's Cross is obviously a non-runner, nor is Musgrave Park. Why can't a multi-purpose stadium be built in the city and run by the council?

This is the norm in a lot of European countries, and it makes sense in Ireland. Cork, Munster and Cork City don't have any regular need for a big stadium (30,000), but combined you could potentially be looking at filling the stadium at least 10 times over the course of a year.

Obviously the question is who pays for it, but I think it's about time the GAA, IRFU and FAI realised that by working together they could all benefit far more than by working apart. If the Government were to say they would withhold funding for any project that is not a joint venture, I think they would quickly find an accord.

It's ridiculous that in Ireland we have small cities with two or three dilapidated stadiums that are nearly never used to their full capacity. Limerick only has a population of 90,000 but has two 25,000+ stadiums, one primarily used in winter and the other in summer. Logically it makes little to no sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

This thread is truly ridiculous.

Have you ever been to Terryland or Turners Cross?

The third idiot who has picked up on a point that was simply an afterthought. I've already explained myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭darragh16

Expand Tallaght stadium to a 30,000 all seater....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

darragh16 wrote: »

Agreed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Unfortunately, because the GAA is dying, it makes this bid less likely to succeed as the boggers will be doing even more of the circling of the wagons crap to 'protect' their games. As organisations wane they become more and more insular and conservative - this is even more true for the GAA. So 'their stadiums' will stay shut, guaranteed. And we all know the culchie knackers couldn't care less about the good of the nation, only their own prosperity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

and ruin the LOI completely!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

Orizio wrote: »
    Agreed.

Flancare park in the midlands better suited.

Flancare park in the midlands better suited.

Could expand Lissywollen to 30,000 all seater. I mean if the Chinese are coming over to the midlands they'll probably want somewhere for a kick about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

After we win the euro's this summer UEFA will take the bid more seriously

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

Unfortunately, because the GAA is dying, it makes this bid less likely to succeed as the boggers will be doing even more of the circling of the wagons crap to 'protect' their games. As organisations wane they become more and more insular and conservative - this is even more true for the GAA. So 'their stadiums' will stay shut, guaranteed. And we all know the culchie knackers couldn't care less about the good of the nation, only their own prosperity.

Just like they turned their back on the soccer crowd when lansdowne was being redeveloped .......:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭Hannibal

I reckon the ten stadiums ear marked are

Dublin: Croke Park 76,500
    Cardiff: Millennium Stadium 74,500
    Edinburgh: Murrayfield 67,000
    Glasgow: Celtic Park 60,800
    Glasgow: Hampden 52,000
    Dublin: Lansdowne Road 51,700
    Cork: Pairc Ui Chaoimh 43,000
    Limerick: Thomond Park 26,000

Aberdeen: Pittodrie 22,200
    Swansea: Liberty Stadium 20,500

and if UEFA agree to let both Dublin and Glasgow use two stadiums each

Unfortunately, because the GAA is dying, it makes this bid less likely to succeed as the boggers will be doing even more of the circling of the wagons crap to 'protect' their games. As organisations wane they become more and more insular and conservative - this is even more true for the GAA. So 'their stadiums' will stay shut, guaranteed.

I think this is very debateable. You could argue with the strength of the Dubs, that the games are as strong as ever. The GAA did excellent business out of the last opening, can't see why they wouldn't do so again.

And we all know the culchie knackers couldn't care less about the good of the nation, only their own prosperity.

WTF?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

It all seems quite ridiculous, but I can see us actually getting it.

We're probably going to have a better bid than Georgia for a starters, as are Turkey. But Turkey has problems with fan violence, racism and match-fixing. Couple that with Istanbul being one of the serious contenders for the Olympics that year, and Turkey may not want to host both.

I see no reason why UEFA would be against giving away 3 of the places at the tournament, given that they give away the same ratio currently.

I'd say we could manage 3 stadia. Maybe 4, but something would have to go to Cork, and there isn't a lot there to begin with. The Aviva and Thomond are the 2 biggest stadia in the country that wouldn't require the Gah to change its rules.

It's ridiculous that Ireland could host it, but I can easily see it happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭G S R

You're definitely one of those lads who call a team 500 miles away your team I'd say. You probably refer to them as 'we' too.

Compare GAA attendances to soccer attendances in this country and tell me which one is struggling more?

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    I think this is very debateable. You could argue with the strength of the Dubs, that the games are as strong as ever. The GAA did excellent business out of the last opening, can't see why they wouldn't do so again.

But the Dubs are under pressure, because Leinster wear blue...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

tolosenc wrote: »

We're probably going to have a better bid than Georgia for a starters, as are Turkey. But Turkey has problems with fan violence, racism and match-fixing. Couple that with Istanbul being one of the serious contenders for the Olympics that year, and Turkey may not want to host both.

I see no reason why UEFA would be against giving away 3 of the places at the tournament, given that they give away the same ratio currently.

I'd say we could manage 3 stadia. Maybe 4, but something would have to go to Cork, and there isn't a lot there to begin with. The Aviva and Thomond are the 2 biggest stadia in the country that wouldn't require the Gah to change its rules.

It's simple, if they get one they will not under any circumstances get the other. Both Platini and the head of the IOC have come out I think and said if they got one they won't get the other.

It'll come down to the vote next year in September. If Turkey get the Olympics then I'm sure we'll get the Euros.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

carlop wrote: »
    It's not a good idea at all. Let's start with an U-21 event or something first, if we really want to host an international football tournament. We don't have the structures in place, and quite honestly, a country where so few people go regularly to watch live football does not deserve the right to host a major tournament.

However, if we did go for it, I think we'd probably need to provide three stadiums. Landsdowne would be good for a couple of group games, a quarter final, and maybe the third/fourth place play-off (if there is one).

I guess a bit of work done on Thomond could provide the other, though people are underestimating how far off Thomond Park is to being an acceptable venue for an international tournament.

The third is more problematic, but could potentially be a big moment for sport in this country if handled correctly. I don't think many will dispute that Cork should be involved. It's our second city and should be close enough to being able to handle the numbers of tourists.

As for the stadium, while I've never been I believe that the GAA stadium is a bit of a kip in a stupid location. Turner's Cross is obviously a non-runner, nor is Musgrave Park. Why can't a multi-purpose stadium be built in the city and run by the council?

This is the norm in a lot of European countries, and it makes sense in Ireland. Cork, Munster and Cork City don't have any regular need for a big stadium (30,000), but combined you could potentially be looking at filling the stadium at least 10 times over the course of a year.

Obviously the question is who pays for it, but I think it's about time the GAA, IRFU and FAI realised that by working together they could all benefit far more than by working apart. If the Government were to say they would withhold funding for any project that is not a joint venture, I think they would quickly find an accord.

It's ridiculous that in Ireland we have small cities with two or three dilapidated stadiums that are nearly never used to their full capacity. Limerick only has a population of 90,000 but has two 25,000+ stadiums, one primarily used in winter and the other in summer. Logically it makes little to no sense.
    Top post.

Dotsey wrote: »
    Cork: Pairc Ui Chaoimh 43,000

19,500 actually.

Plus, it'd need to be pretty much knocked down and started again from scratch.

Aren't there plans in place to redevelop Pairc Ui Chaoimh?

If the FAI could come to an agreement with the GAA, you could have Croker, Semple Stadium (although Thurles Town won't be big enough I'd say) and Waterford are currently looking at the possibility of developing a stadium too.

19,500 actually.

Plus, it'd need to be pretty much knocked down and started again from scratch.
    It was reduced last year to this if I recall correctly.

The Pairc, at full capacity was a disaster waiting to happen.

The sooner it's redeveloped the better.

• Advertisement

I think it's been said that 10 is enough.

Scotland
    Hampden
    Parkhead
    Murrayfield
    Aberdeen

Wales
    Millenium
    Liberty
    *New Stadium

Ireland
    Croke Park
    Aviva
    Thomond park

Scotland renovate Aberdeen, we do the same to Thomond. The Welsh probably have the cash in place to renovate Swansea's ground and build a new stadium. They would probably be rewarded with the final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Just like they turned their back on the soccer crowd when lansdowne was being redeveloped .......:rolleyes:

Because they knew it would be a PR disaster if they didn't open the ground up.

No doubt pressure from the business community too, who have been very supportive of the Gah, who didn't want lucrative money spinning events for our economy being moved out of the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

I don't think it's as unfeasible as most on here are saying. However I agree it would make more sense to host an underage tournament or something along those lines first. It isn't completely unrealistic, stadium wise - we have the Aviva which is obvious, then 2 more will be required I would think, probably an upgraded Thomond Park and then hopefully Croke Park, but if this isn't used then I think a new multi purpose 30,000 stadium to be constructed in Cork or Galway would be the best bet. Admittedly it will be rare that the stadium would ever be filled after the tournament, but if it was built in Galway for example, you have your LoI clubs, Connaught Rugby, Galway GAA, it could host Connaught finals in GAA, underage soccer internationals, concerts. As I said, it would probably never be used to it's full capacity, but I'd say it could be used regularly for large(ish) crowds.

Dublin would easily cope with the crowds, then cities such as Limerick/Cork/Galway should be capable with a bit of construction/upgrading of hotels, even things like college accommodation could be used during the summer, which each city would have plenty of as it stands. In terms of transport, getting into the country would be no problem, all cities have airports nearby, getting over via ferry from Whales is also another option. The country/host cities would need to improve a lot in terms of public transport though, Dublin would probably be okay again, but I cannot imagine thousands of fans relying on Bus Eireann to get them around the country.

flas wrote: »
    i can see it being a runner for the simple fact it has a selling point, as in a celtic nations selling point, i can see the twirly signs and stuff already! uefa love a unique selling point!

I can see this being a major factor, the whole celtic theme will be milked to the max I would imagine, and will be something UEFA will love I would say. I can see us getting it to be honest, probably more so down to the fact the other bids may not be great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Galway would be the best bet. Admittedly it will be rare that the stadium would ever be filled after the tournament, but if it was built in Galway for example, you have your LoI clubs, Connaught Rugby, Galway GAA, it could host Connaught finals in GAA, underage soccer internationals, concerts.

You expect the two (at the moment) LoI clubs in Galway to play in a 30,000 stadium? Similarly with Connacht rugby, why would any of these teams want o play in an empty stadium??? And the GAA have more than enough capacity in pearse, mcHale and Hyde parks.

Also Thomond Park is mentioned a being a certainty but is anyone familiar with it?? Ive never been so have no idea if there is potential to redevelop it to a 30,000 capacity or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Everyone's assuming that the FAI get to play with the GAA and IRFU grounds. they probably won't get GAA, but if they do, the cost of upgrading the ones they get, (most likely Páirc Uí Chaoimh and/or Semple Stadium) and Thomond Park would be costly as you can be damn sure that the GAA and IRFU wouldn't foot that bill.

also, to the poster who said a new sports stadium in Galway... Connacht Rugby wouldn't have a hope of filling it outside of Heineken/Amlin challenge cup, let alone Mervue or Salthill-Devon for LOI and the GAA are quite happy with Pearse Stadium. it would effectively be a ghost estate, stadium style.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

You expect the two (at the moment) LoI clubs in Galway to play in a 30,000 stadium? Similarly with Connacht rugby, why would any of these teams want o play in an empty stadium??? And the GAA have more than enough capacity in pearse, mcHale and Hyde parks.

Also Thomond Park is mentioned a being a certainty but is anyone familiar with it?? Ive never been so have no idea if there is potential to redevelop it to a 30,000 capacity or not.

Not familiar with Connacht rugby, but the LoI clubs can't exactly do much worse for crowds, could hardly bring attendances down. If they were getting it for free I'm sure they wouldn't object to playing there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dRNk SAnTA

Can people get one thing straight... the FAI barely has a pot to piss in, they are in way over their heads with the debt from Lansdowne so it's very unlikely they'll be paying for any stadium upgrades.

It would be public tax money going into the stadiums, in which case any new stadiums that are built should be all-purpose and, in fact, the investment shouldn't necessarily have to benefit the LOI or Football at all. As long as there is "national gain", i.e. for Ireland, that's all that matters.

Also, obviously Cork is the #1 candidate for a proper stadium.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

dRNk SAnTA wrote: »
    Ideally we'd have a stadium in Dublin, Belfast, Limerick and Cork.

That's Lansdowne, Thomand, plus 2 new stadiums. There are already plans for new stadiums in Belfast and Cork.

But you couldn't include NI in the co-hosting group because then they'd take a spot in the tournament proper.

Cork and Belfast really SHOULD sort themselves out with proper stadiums though. It's a much better answer than upgrading some sh1thole GAA "stadium" in two-mile-borris that'll never be filled to capacity. And it will open the door to us applying for tournaments regularly - under-age football/rugby competitions, rugby world cup, etc.

I know there was talk of a national sports stadium at the Maze but I think this may have been kicked to touch! Casement Park is getting funding to upgrade and I've a notion Windsor Park and Ravenhill are developing. 30,000 might just about be feasible for Windsor but the IFA haven't applied!
    With 24 teams it will be down to traveling support a good research part would be to look at england and euros 96 and their crowds lowest Bulgaria v Romania 19,000; avg per game 41,000, final 74,000. So 6 below have over 50,000 capacity; in Euro96 only 2 were over 50,000. There doesn't seem to be a huge amount to bring a selection below up to 30,000 so no new stadiums needed, costs should be doable!!!

Murrayfield 67,000
    Millenium 74,000
    Croke Park 82,000
    Parkhead 62,000
    Aviva 52,000
    Ibrox 52,000

Cardiff 27,000
    Thomond 26,000
    Aberdeen 22,000
    Swansea 21,000
    Hibernian 20,000
    Hearts 17,000

The problem seems to be 2 grounds in the 1 city is frowned on so Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen and maybe Dundee are feasible in Scotland, Cardiff and Swansea in Wales, can't see Wrexham as viable, Dublin and Belfast in Ireland if the North is a runner, that's 8.

I don't think it's as unfeasible as some think but would require big investment from Government and the football authorities.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

If we're playing the minor role in all of it, then it's easily doable with not a whole lot of upgrading required (exception being Thomond Park). Some people seem to be under the impression we are a third world country with the way it's being dismissed.

If more stadiums are required, would temporary seating be allowed? I'm sure a couple of football stadiums could be temporarily brought up to the minimum level required. No need to it to be permanent.

If Georgia is the only other option (assuming Turkey don't get it for whatever reason) I reckon it has a great chance of winning.
    Imagine the spectacle of the 3 celtic nations and england involved with the cream of europe.

Imagine how pissed Northern Ireland would be if they were the only country not to qualify :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,902 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Can people get one thing straight... the FAI barely has a pot to piss in, they are in way over their heads with the debt from Lansdowne so it's very unlikely they'll be paying for any stadium upgrades.

It would be public tax money going into the stadiums, in which case any new stadiums that are built should be all-purpose and, in fact, the investment shouldn't necessarily have to benefit the LOI or Football at all. As long as there is "national gain", i.e. for Ireland, that's all that matters.

I propose that we, the people of the boards.ie soccer forum, write an open letter to the GAA asking for the use of their stadia (which they will kindly upgrade for us between now and the big kick off).

Problem solved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I propose that we, the people of the boards.ie soccer forum, write an open letter to the GAA asking for the use of their stadia (which they will kindly upgrade for us between now and the big kick off).

Problem solved.

:pac: :pac: :pac:

Ah yes, but a few sell outs at Euro 2020, the Madonna concert and a few WC Qualifiers the FAI will be out of the red in no time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

K-9 wrote: »
    The problem seems to be 2 grounds in the 1 city is frowned on so Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen and maybe Dundee are feasible in Scotland, Cardiff and Swansea in Wales, can't see Wrexham as viable, Dublin and Belfast in Ireland if the North is a runner, that's 8.

hmm in euro 2004 there were 2 venues in both lisbon and porto and the last world cup had 2 venues in johannesburg so i don't see 2 venues in one city as a major problem

so then you would have
    murrayfield, hampden, one of ibrox/celtic park, another scottish stadium upgraded to 30,000 all seater in a city not edinburgh or glasgow, cardiff (millennium), swansea (would need to be increased to 30k seating), aviva in dublin, another one irish stadium upgraded to 30k seats e.g thomond, thats 8

And that isnt even enough for a 16 team tournament, its not going to be good enough for a 24 team tournament.

Nobody is saying that you cant have 2 stadiums in one city, you just have to do alot more work with your bid to give UEFA confidence that it can be managed properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Dempsey wrote: »
    And that isnt even enough for a 16 team tournament, its not going to be good enough for a 24 team tournament.

only 8 venues for euro 2008 and 2012 so its enough for a 16 team tournament, half the venues for this years tournament are only getting 3 matches

i just mentioned 8 venues without much money having to be spent, an upgrade to thomond to bring it to 30k seats would cost approx 30million euro (thats what the last upgrade cost in 2008-09 to build 2 stands), an upgrade to liberty stadium in swansea probably a little more as you would have to remove the roof

rossie1977 wrote: »
    only 8 venues for euro 2008 and 2012 so its enough for a 16 team tournament, half the venues for this years tournament are only getting 3 matches

i just mentioned 8 venues without much money having to be spent, an upgrade to thomond to bring it to 30k seats would cost approx 30million euro (thats what the last upgrade cost in 2008-09 to build 2 stands), an upgrade to liberty stadium in swansea probably a little more as you would have to remove the roof

2016 bids required 9 stadiums, France are providing 10 and 2020 will require more as there will be 8 more teams to cater for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dRNk SAnTA

Ah yes, but a few sell outs at Euro 2020, the Madonna concert and a few WC Qualifiers the FAI will be out of the red in no time

For a second there I thought you were suggesting Madonna will still be playing in 2020. Times are tough now, but that would truly be a nightmare hellscape.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Rojiblancos

So Turkey and Georgia are the only other 2 with bids submitted. Surely we'd be preferred over Georgia.
    Also read something about Turkey wanting the 2020 Olympics and a country can't hold 2 major sporting events at the same time so even if they do get picked they might have to give it up as the Olympics is what they really want!
    IOC are voting next wk on Olympic venue candidates so we'll know more then.

Dempsey wrote: »
    2016 bids required 9 stadiums, France are providing 10 and 2020 will require more as there will be 8 more teams to cater for

There will be 24 teams at France 2016. Unless we're going to 32 teams for 2020?

• Advertisement

Confused myself there, yea 24 team for 2016 & 2020 but the original 2016 bid spec was 9, now its using 10 and its rumoured that 2020 will specify more.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Just because Turkey really want the Olympics doesn't mean they're going to get it. Their bid is probably the worst bid of the five that the IOC has received IMO!! Baku, Tokyo, Madrid and Doha (Qatar) being the others.

On the Euro2020 bids, I doubt that the Georgian bid will amount to much as they had originally planned to host the tournament with Azerbaijan, only for the latter to pull out (:P (I'm so immature :D)) in order to focus on their Olympic bid.

So I recken it'll probably just go to Turkey. I know UEFA probably doesn't want it there but like, UEFA says a lot of things!!

When I opened this thread first though, I gotta be honest, I thought it was full of lols! But ye'r a persuasive bunch aren't ye??!!! I still don't think we'll get it though, not until we can prove that we can actually successfully manage some sort of International tournament first (i.e. the U20 etc.). I definately agree that that is the way to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

It's looking like we're going to get it.

For a start 25% of Georgia has broken away and is backed by the Russian Federation. There is a potential for a spill-over of Terrorism from Muslim extremists in Dagestan, and the Abkhazians and South Ossetians might do something.

Turkey has a a series of match fixing scandals and a history of stabbing foreign fans in European games. Also the Western border is volatile, with Armenia laying claim to large parts of Turkey, which made up Armenia in the 1920's before Turkey and the USSR split it up. Also the Turkish refusing to apologise for the Armenian genocide, and supporting Azerbaijan over the disputed Nagorno-Karabakh region. Armenia at the moment produce a lot of great young players, and with a 24 team Euro's could easily qualify. I dont think the Armenia fans will get a warm welcome should they qualify. Also another nearby nation, Israel has recently murdered 9 Turkish citizens on the Freedom Flotilla to Gaza. With a 24 team Euro's Israel too could conceivably qualify. Not to mention Turkey's disputes with Greece, Cyprus and its problem with domestic terrorism, mainly in the shape of its Kurdish minority.

So, I think we have to be dead certs, and should plan to get it.

The country is stuck for money, we all know that. But there is money there. Semi-State Enterprises such as Bord Gais, Coillte, the ESB, Bord na Mona and the National Pension Reserve Fund have between them 15billion Euro in cash reserves. A bilateral loan to a committee, the UEFA 2020 committee of 250 million Euro with a 1% interest rate and a long term pay back deal would not be too taxing on the FAI and the department of arts sport and tourism which would make up the committee members in the main. With that money they build infrastructure, 2 30-35k seater stadia, 1 in Galway, 1 in Cork (would cost around 50-60 million euro each, can be shared between every code of sports after as community stadia) plus Lansdowne road. The rail, road and tourist infrastructure is there already.

With the rest of the money, redevelop small LOI grounds to between 3-10k seater with the rest of the money, and have teams based in and around where the grounds are. A 7k capacity showgrounds in Sligo, where lets say Christiano Ronaldo and Portugal are based. The open training sessions to the public would get a great response, and kids would flock to see their heroes. Would also have a good effect on the local economy in that town and other such towns were teams would be based. This redevelopment would also put us in great shape to host an underage Euro's or World Cup and would leave a lasting legacy on Football in Ireland and would set us up nicely to employ a similar model for the 2023 Rugby World Cup should we get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

For a start 25% of Georgia has broken away and is backed by the Russian Federation. There is a potential for a spill-over of Terrorism from Muslim extremists in Dagestan, and the Abkhazians and South Ossetians might do something.

Turkey has a a series of match fixing scandals and a history of stabbing foreign fans in European games. Also the Western border is volatile, with Armenia laying claim to large parts of Turkey, which made up Armenia in the 1920's before Turkey and the USSR split it up. Also the Turkish refusing to apologise for the Armenian genocide, and supporting Azerbaijan over the disputed Nagorno-Karabakh region. Armenia at the moment produce a lot of great young players, and with a 24 team Euro's could easily qualify. I dont think the Armenia fans will get a warm welcome should they qualify. Also another nearby nation, Israel has recently murdered 9 Turkish citizens on the Freedom Flotilla to Gaza. With a 24 team Euro's Israel too could conceivably qualify. Not to mention Turkey's disputes with Greece, Cyprus and its problem with domestic terrorism, mainly in the shape of its Kurdish minority.

The country is stuck for money, we all know that. But there is money there. Semi-State Enterprises such as Bord Gais, Coillte, the ESB, Bord na Mona and the National Pension Reserve Fund have between them 15billion Euro in cash reserves. A bilateral loan to a committee, the UEFA 2020 committee of 250 million Euro with a 1% interest rate and a long term pay back deal would not be too taxing on the FAI and the department of arts sport and tourism which would make up the committee members in the main. With that money they build infrastructure, 2 30-35k seater stadia, 1 in Galway, 1 in Cork (would cost around 50-60 million euro each, can be shared between every code of sports after as community stadia) plus Lansdowne road. The rail, road and tourist infrastructure is there already.

With the rest of the money, redevelop small LOI grounds to between 3-10k seater with the rest of the money, and have teams based in and around where the grounds are. A 7k capacity showgrounds in Sligo, where lets say Christiano Ronaldo and Portugal are based. The open training sessions to the public would get a great response, and kids would flock to see their heroes. Would also have a good effect on the local economy in that town and other such towns were teams would be based. This redevelopment would also put us in great shape to host an underage Euro's or World Cup and would leave a lasting legacy on Football in Ireland and would set us up nicely to employ a similar model for the 2023 Rugby World Cup should we get it.

Ronaldo will be 35 by Euro 2020. Loved the rest of the post though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Mikeyt086 wrote: »

Not too far fetched he'd still be playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Not too far fetched he'd still be playing.

I would be highly surprised if he is. I think he'd have to reinvent his game completely to still be able to play at that level, more than most other players would/will have to do.

Very good post though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

rossie1977 wrote: »
    hmm in euro 2004 there were 2 venues in both lisbon and porto and the last world cup had 2 venues in johannesburg so i don't see 2 venues in one city as a major problem

so then you would have
    murrayfield, hampden, one of ibrox/celtic park, another scottish stadium upgraded to 30,000 all seater in a city not edinburgh or glasgow, cardiff (millennium), swansea (would need to be increased to 30k seating), aviva in dublin, another one irish stadium upgraded to 30k seats e.g thomond, thats 8

Yeah, insisting on one city seems a bit nuts.

Thought that too, wondered at that myself.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭MooShop

Mikeyt086 wrote: »

I think he was just giving Ronaldo as an example. The point he was trying to make is very valid.

Great post overall. Would be great to see it happening, but I don't think it will. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

This is the thread that just keeps giving and giving, I love it.

It's as if there was a shift change at around 7pm last night.

All that were here during the day with crazy notions about upgrading GAA grounds, and the likes of my self shooting them down, seemed to go away and a new set of crazy ideas like involving Northern Ireland and building 30K stadium in Terryland took over for the evening shift.

I love it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

You are talking total pie is the sky there.

We are a nation that's is broke, no one is going to Ok the raiding of the coffers of the bodies you mention to finance the building of two white elephant stadiums in Cork and Galway.

As has already been asked what would you do with a 30k stadium in Galway ?
    Connaught Rugby gets smalls crowds
    Soccer in Galway get dismal crowds
    The GAA already has redeveloped Pearse Stadium in the last 10 years to a level that is more tan acceptable for GAA games for the foreseeable future.
    Plus pParse stadium can and has been used for concerts etc.

Does anyone know where the SFA and FAW stand on all this.

What is there plan venue wise and how much help do they need form Ireland ?

If they only need the Aviva then it a real possibility.

If they need teh Aviva + Croke Park then you are into the 2 stadiums in once city situation that will hamper the bid.

And if they avoid that and go with Aviva + A.N.Other then it ain't going to happen

If they need teh Aviva + Croke Park then you are into the 2 stadiums in once city situation that will hamper the bid.

And if they avoid that and go with Aviva + A.N.Other then it ain't going to happen

Uefa have allowed 2 stadiums in one city for 16 team tournaments. If they are going to have 24 team tournaments then they are going to have to allow 2 stadiums in certain cities.

I haven't seen a persuasive argument yet for why 3 stadiums consisting of Croke Park, Aviva and Thomond won't work. Obviously there's a lot more to be done with Thomond than tacking two stands on either end, but if Ireland are getting to host Euro 2020 and the sole thing they have to provide is accomodation, better transport and a revamped Thomond, then they are getting a very sweet deal. Obviously as part of the agreement, the FAI would have a certain amount of use of the Thomond stadium after Euro 2020 also.

And 3 stadiums in Ireland, 3 in Wales and 4 in Scotland and you're hitting the magical 10. It's a long shot at this stage, but it's not a laughable bid.

• Advertisement
Advertisement