Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cash payments for scrap metal and gold..why not stop this practice?

• 15-05-2012 9:41am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭

Metal and jewellery is being robbed all over the country

Scrap dealers and Jewellers are advertising are cash payments for them

Why not make it a cheque payment and make it harder for criminals to profit from crime

I often did work and wanted cash but most owners wanted to pay cheque

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭forfuxsake

Obviously you haver had the misfortune of an addiction. The heroin is not going to buy itself, is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I prefer to get cats for my stolen gold

http://www.catsforgold.com/

Hehe little furry critters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I built a Terminator to protect me and my gold. Made him sound and act just like Arnie, too.

Then someone stole him and melted him down................I suppose they did give him a poetic T2 send-off, in a way......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

i call it cash for stolen gold.

my neighbour got broken into last march and had about €3000 worth of his late wife's jewellry stolen. his heart was broken.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

Ive seen well known traveller criminals going to into a scrap yard in Cork with a trailer full of scrap and they would have gotten cash

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

i call it cash for stolen gold.

my neighbour got broken into last march and had about €3000 worth of his late wife's jewellry stolen. his heart was broken.

If it's any consolation the thieves probably only got half of it's true value.

Actually, that's probably no consolation at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Any scrap boss?

The travellers in Galway has signs up in some shops offering to take away your scrap metal for free
    They make it seem like they are doing you a favour

You'd be some fool to deal with them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

They're trying to regulate this now.

Guess i wont be selling grandmas pearls anytime soon now :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

You think it's bad now? Back in the Middle Ages in Ireland the place was ruined by all the Cash for Lead shops that Alchemists set up.

You couldn't leave a pipe or a pencil down anywhere without it being nicked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

Vicxas wrote: »

if your that strapped for cash sell your toyota i'll give ya €50 for it ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Vicxas wrote: »

Is it a pearl necklace?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

You couldn't leave a pipe or a pencil down anywhere without it being nicked.

Ye olde joke was on them. Pencils contain graphite not lead.

Anyway, you should have to leave your RSI number and show picture ID when hocking this stuff.

We get stainless steel and copper nicked from our yard here where i work constantly by members of a certain scrap dealing community.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Before these "Cash for gold" places their was an abundance of Pawn Stores throughout Dublin. Sure, you've also got the "Buy and Sell" as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

If they stop scrap yards paying cash there will just be some "Legit" bloke taking scrap from knackers for cash and then selling it above board to the scrap yards.
    Same with the cash for gold carry on. It'll just drive it underground.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

bbam wrote: »
    If they stop scrap yards paying cash there will just be some "Legit" bloke taking scrap from knackers for cash and then selling it above board to the scrap yards.
    Same with the cash for gold carry on. It'll just drive it underground.

He is paying out cash and getting paid by cheque? His tax will be based on a nil buy in value as he will not be able to show the purchase cost. Next up, he will have given his PPS number to the yards he sells to. An inspection of his books and premises to show where is his sourcing the scrap metal will take place. How long will he last?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Before these "Cash for gold" places their was an abundance of Pawn Stores throughout Dublin. Sure, you've also got the "Broken and Stolen" as well.
    fyp

You can't ban normal transactions because of something unproven that it causes.. Not saying it doesn't happen, just sayin ya can't ban it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,527 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

These cash for gold places really **** me off.

They pay little attention to the pieces they're sold and just melt it all down.
    You hear of family heirlooms like medals being stolen and melted down for scrap. The precious metal content of most medals is pretty minimal in most cases, some of the common silver service medals being worth very little, but the sentimental value is priceless.

Unscrupulous jewelers will even buy traceable items with serial numbers and melt them down.

All the same, I don't think you can ban the scrap metal trade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

sasta le wrote: »
    Metal and jewellery is being robbed all over the country

Scrap dealers and Jewellers are advertising are cash payments for them

Why not make it a cheque payment and make it harder for criminals to profit from crime

I often did work and wanted cash but most owners wanted to pay cheque

Cars are being robbed all over the country too, let's stop importing them:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

Nothing will be done about it. Shatter already rejected a proposed bill
    Justice Minister Alan Shatter has rejected legislation to clamp down on the sale of stolen gold and scrap metals.

March 2012
    He said the Bill, published by independent TD Mattie McGrath, would stretch garda resources too far and fail to tackle criminal trading.

"Whatever claims are made for it, it would not provide the gardai with effective powers in this area," Mr Shatter said.

"In practice, it would neither help the gardai nor deter those involved in nefarious trading."

Mr McGrath's Bill calls for gold and metal outlets to keep records of sales, which would include demanding sellers provide photo ID and their own descriptions of the items in question.

The Tipperary South TD said criminals would think twice before selling stolen goods knowing gardai could trace the sale back to them.

"There are no boundaries to stop these cowboys and rogues plundering our national treasures and wreaking havoc," said Mr McGrath.

The Bill also calls for traders to hold gold and metal for 30 days before having it melted, to give gardai time to trace stolen property.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭Colonialboy

dissapointing, another FG cockup, that crowd are becoming like the Greens.
    No ones talking of banning scrap merchants...
    Just add some paperwork and if theres a paper trail them someone will get caught at some point.

Even if it only deterred 10% of this type of activity, it would be a good thing. Then over time the law could be evaluated and changed if it needed tweaking.

dissapointing, another FG cockup, that crowd are becoming like the Greens.
    No ones talking of banning scrap merchants...
    Just add some paperwork and if theres a paper trail them someone will get caught at some point.

Even if it only deterred 10% of this type of activity, it would be a good thing. Then over time the law could be evaluated and changed if it needed tweaking.

Yes it is. It wouldn't take much for the dealers to implement a recording system. I think the idea of holding it for a certain period is a good one, but the Gardai have to check these places when they are looking for stuff.

detection rates of burglaries is about 25%(CSO). It's a difficult crime to detect because the offenders have already left the scene by the time it is noticed. This would create some sort of barrier to them disposing of the stolen goods so quickly/easily

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

micropig wrote: »
    Nothing will be done about it. Shatter already rejected a proposed bill
    Justice Minister Alan Shatter has rejected legislation to clamp down on the sale of stolen gold and scrap metals.

March 2012
    He said the Bill, published by independent TD Mattie McGrath, would stretch garda resources too far and fail to tackle criminal trading.

"Whatever claims are made for it, it would not provide the gardai with effective powers in this area," Mr Shatter said.

"In practice, it would neither help the gardai nor deter those involved in nefarious trading."

Mr McGrath's Bill calls for gold and metal outlets to keep records of sales, which would include demanding sellers provide photo ID and their own descriptions of the items in question.

The Tipperary South TD said criminals would think twice before selling stolen goods knowing gardai could trace the sale back to them.

"There are no boundaries to stop these cowboys and rogues plundering our national treasures and wreaking havoc," said Mr McGrath.

The Bill also calls for traders to hold gold and metal for 30 days before having it melted, to give gardai time to trace stolen property.

I wonder was that before he was broken in to?

I wonder was that before he was broken in to?

It was proposed (3March) 2 weeks before he was broken it to (19 March) . Mattie was early, I wonder has Shatters opinion changed since.:D

http://www.thejournal.ie/man-arrested-over-burglary-at-home-of-justice-minister-alan-shatter-389671-Mar2012/

Near where I'm living at the moment a war monument was stripped for bronze and we lost our phone connection when the copper was ripped up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Are there no regulations on these places at all? I thought there was a 30 day period in which items bought had to be stored out of sight, and photo ID & proof of address etc had to be produced by anyone selling valuables?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,828 ✭✭✭✭28064212

kowloon wrote: »
    They pay little attention to the pieces they're sold and just melt it all down.
    You hear of family heirlooms like medals being stolen and melted down for scrap. The precious metal content of most medals is pretty minimal in most cases, some of the common silver service medals being worth very little, but the sentimental value is priceless.
    Why would a random piece of jewellery have any sentimental value to a dealer? If it's worth so little, but has massive sentimental value, why is the person selling it in the first place? That's a totally bizarre argument

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

28064212 wrote: »
    Why would a random piece of jewellery have any sentimental value to a dealer? If it's worth so little, but has massive sentimental value, why is the person selling it in the first place? That's a totally bizarre argument

Dealers are melting down items they know are stolen, the original owner isn't selling it. I'm not saying they have sentimental value to the dealer :confused:. 'Sentimetal' may have been the wrong choice of word, maybe Intrinsic? A Jackson Pollock doesn't sell on the value of a square of canvas and a splash of dried paint, the value of the item is not stored in its materials alone.

Take medals for instance, if a family sells them on they would rarely sell them as scrap as the value of the medals is far in excess of their precious metal value. Scrap metal dealers, however, will melt them down as they know selling them for a higher price as medals could potentially lead back to them being caught buying goods they know are stolen, or at least turning a blind eye to their source.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭WolfgangWeisen

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

I really don't understand why they haven't introduced something like that already across the UK and Ireland. Both countries are having problems with metal theft.

Just make it illegal to get cash payments for metal. And have a payment delay of a month or so. So no crims get instant cash from stealing metals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

darokane wrote: »
    Cars are being robbed all over the country too, let's stop importing them:rolleyes:

How far would you get trying to register a stolen car in Ireland as your own??

Advertisement