Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worms in fish?

• 15-05-2012 10:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭

Picked up some Monkfish fillet and when cutting it up I saw what I thought was just a small threadlike red vein or something..decided to remove it only to se it wriggle and curl up! Gross...

Is it ok to eat this piece of fish, will be cooking it of course..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Worms in fish are common, and cooked they are harmless maybe just a bit more protein:)
    They are unappetising though and I would always remove them from fish as I cut the fillet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 367 ✭✭Chewabacca

Known in industry as cod worms. No taste and harmless.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭whistlingtitan

Nearly all white fish have once cooked it's fine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭jaydoxx

I've worked in a restaurant serving fish and let me tell you, its perfectly fine for there to be parasites as they are rendered harmless in the cooking process anyway. I would like to point out that cod is one of the most parasite infected fish i've ever come across, and even though its completely safe to consume, it's just one more reason for me to choose a different fish while doing the shopping or in a restaurant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭superluck

What about frozen cod? Is the worm just cryo preserved awaiting implantation into it's human host? If you take Tuna and the that gulf of Mexico oil disaster, fish is hardly safe to eat at all really.

• Advertisement

superluck wrote: »
    What about frozen cod? Is the worm just cryo preserved awaiting implantation into it's human host? If you take Tuna and the that gulf of Mexico oil disaster, fish is hardly safe to eat at all really.
    Rubbish.
    Freezing below -20c for more than 60hrs will kill all parasites.
    So aside from Tuna and the Gulf of Mexico there is no other fish to eat?
    We have plenty of fish here that is fantastic and safe to eat.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭niallam

jaydoxx wrote: »
    I've worked in a restaurant serving fish and let me tell you, its perfectly fine for there to be parasites as they are rendered harmless in the cooking process anyway. I would like to point out that cod is one of the most parasite infected fish i've ever come across, and even though its completely safe to consume, it's just one more reason for me to choose a different fish while doing the shopping or in a restaurant.

Red Gurnard is usually the worst for worms. Time of the year and where the fish are caught usually play the biggest part in worms. In monk they can infest the flesh but in most fish they only get to the belly flap, usually it's easiest to just cut the belly off during processing.
    If a live cod worm was eaten it may cause severe stomach pain requiring medical treatment. But this only really happens with sushi or lightly smoked fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 nikegame

It is terrible for me to eat some fish like that especially the situation i know!But i think it's harmless!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 teflonchest

I won't be eating that fish for sure. The thought of getting a worm in my fish terrifies me....

I won't be eating that fish for sure. The thought of getting a worm in my fish terrifies me....
    Yeah, it can be off putting but parasites affect more than just fish...
    When you think about it, how many truly wild foods do you still eat?
    Sheep, beef and pork are all farmed and have chemical treatments to prevent them getting worms.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

I saw this on Discovery a while ago.
    http://curiosity.discovery.com/question/worlds-dirtiest-man-videos
    There's a bit where they talk about the worms in fish. Probably not for the squeamish.
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭lounakin

All I can say is ewwwwww!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭Lisha

This gets my award for thread I wish I had not read:(

As i overcook everything anyway I should be fine

But there is no way I will ever, ever, try sushi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭lounakin

Lisha wrote: »
    But there is no way I will ever, ever, try sushi

You should! Sushi fish is raw but it's carefully cut and there's no way they'd leave a worm if they wound one! I've has sushi a million times and never had an unpleasant surprise. The thing about raw fish that most non-raw fish eaters don't know is that the taste is actually much less strong and much more delicate than cooked.

Sushi is actually rice with other bits and pieces not necessarily fish, Sashimi is raw fish.
    Even if you don't eat fish you can still get vegetarian sushi.

There is very little white fish used in sushi really, king/tiger/vanamei prawns, tuna and salmon are what you get most in Ireland. Sashimi grade tuna has been frozen once to kill parasites that may be present, salmon is farmed as are the prawns.
    Traditionally Sashimi meant the process of sticking a spike through the fish's head once aboard the boat to preserve the flesh better.

niallam wrote: »
    Traditionally Sashimi meant the process of sticking a spike through the fish's head once aboard the boat to preserve the flesh better.
    Ikijime is the process of killing the fish by crushing the brain, usually with a spike
    The way the Japanese kill tuna is they cut the head off and insert a length of monofilament into the spine to kill the nerve activity, that can cause the body of the fish to heat from twitching.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Ikijime is the process of killing the fish by crushing the brain, usually with a spike

Very true. The word sashimi means "pierced body", sashimi is what i'd use to describe raw fish suitable for eating because some sushi has no fish in it...
    Killing the fish quickly stops lactic acid building up and preserves the fish better.

Advertisement