Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lylandii hedge, did I stop it growing up?

Options
  • 15-05-2012 11:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭

Hi all,

We planted a leylandii hedge to the front of the house just behind the wall to stop certain neghbours lookin in at us as they are driving by. It was going grand sprouting up no bother and some of the trees at at the 3-4 mark now. Planted 2010 btw. My question is they were just goping up and not so much out so I cut the very top bit off each of them to help them grow out.

They are going well now growing out but the height seems to have stopped? Is it just because I cut the tip in aug/sept of last year and they just haven't had a chance to grow yet cause of the weather? Im worried they won't grow up anymore now and I hopwe to god they do because all the trees are different heights and I don't want to trim them all to same height cause if i do i'll kill some of them but also only have a hedge about 3.5 high behind a wall :eek:.

Anyone advise please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

I think you have stopped them growing up !

AFAIK
    When you remove the 'leader' shoot from a plant - it releases a hormone which allows new 'leaders' to grow from the sides. This makes the plant more bushy. Grass is a great example of this. However you prevent some plants from growing any more height. This is especioally evident when you remove a woody leader.

I could be wrong though. MAybe someone with a better knowledge could answer..

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Gingernuts31

:(
    newbie2 wrote: »
    I think you have stopped them growing up !

AFAIK
    When you remove the 'leader' shoot from a plant - it releases a hormone which allows new 'leaders' to grow from the sides. This makes the plant more bushy. Grass is a great example of this. However you prevent some plants from growing any more height. This is especioally evident when you remove a woody leader.

I could be wrong though. MAybe someone with a better knowledge could answer..

:eek: Ah no :(. I had a feeling I should have checked it out before cutting them or else not have touched them at all. I top of the trees seem to be dead :( as in it looks like there is no life in them at all and the bark is starting to kind of peel off. They have started to get bushy alright but the height isn't going anywhere. I had hoped witht he summer almost here( fingers crossed) they would start to shoot up again but im hoping an expert will tell me im right :D. No offence Newbie2 you were helpful too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

it wont grow from the top where you've cut. what you could do is train the highest outter growing part to grow up. you'l get height that way

it wont grow from the top where you've cut. what you could do is train the highest outter growing part to grow up. you'l get height that way

What like try to tie it a certain way so it grows upwards? Tie it up how? I have the bamboo shoots on them at the moment but they wont go to that height.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,456 ✭✭✭✭looksee

You don't have to tie it, it will do that anyway, just don't cut the tops off the shoots that start to go up until you are near the height you require.

• Advertisement

looksee wrote: »
    You don't have to tie it, it will do that anyway, just don't cut the tops off the shoots that start to go up until you are near the height you require.

Purfect stuff :). There is shoots very near the top that I cut that are slightly pointin upwards maybe at the 2 o clock mark if you get me. There is some short ones still so il let them catch up and go to work on the lot then :). Thanks for the advice.

Advertisement