Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

‘Inherently racist’

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,524 ✭✭✭tigger123

Non national taxi drivers are fare less likely to talk to you when you're in their cab, and therefore much preferable imo.

I cannot stand the small talk/moaning that comes out of some drivers when you're in their cab.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Feeona

al28283 wrote: »
    What is the difference between a small minded bigot and a big minded bigot?

Money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Feeona wrote: »
    Looks like one-nil to foreign taxi drivers in the current fares war. In the media 'politically correct ideas' will always be deemed loftier than 'money-grabbing greed'. Time for the Irish taxi drivers to go back to the drawing board.

It's nothing to do with political correctness it's to do with stupidity. You don't walk into a Tescos and expect all the staff to have their nationality on display so you can choose which checkout to go to. You don't go to a restaurant and expect the waiters to have a little pin on flag on their uniform so you can choose which waiter/waitress you want to deal with. You don't go into Spar, and ask all the staff their nationality first...

... the reason for this is that their nationality has no bearing on their ability to do the job of scanning your shopping, waiting your table or bagging your stuff. Just like driving a taxi.

I've had problems with taxi men of various nationalities. One moreso than others.... the Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

daltonmd wrote: »
    I know taxi drivers who will not take black people - especially black women one told me of a fare he took from a hosptial in town to Dun Laoghaire one Sunday morning - the fare should have been about 50 euro but he felt sorry for her and charged her 35 - she immediately accused him of being "racist" and robbing her.
    When he tried to explain Sunday rates to her, she changed tack and said she would call the Garda and accuse him of "touching" her up - he was petrified and said he simply wouldn't take the chance again.

thats why any decent taxi driver installs cameras inside his/her car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

prinz wrote: »
    This. Happy days.
    At least by using an Irish cab you can be certain the fare money is staying in Ireland and not going Western Union way out to some other country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

al28283 wrote: »
    What is the difference between a small minded bigot and a big minded bigot?

renumeration....and expenses...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

.... You don't walk into a Tescos and expect all the staff to have their nationality on display so you can choose which checkout to go to. You don't go to a restaurant and expect the waiters to have a little pin on flag on their uniform so you can choose which waiter/waitress you want to deal with. You don't go into Spar, and ask all the staff their nationality first...

... the reason for this is that their nationality has no bearing on their ability to do the job of scanning your shopping, waiting your table or bagging your stuff. Unlike driving a taxi. .

There ya go.

That'll be €14.50. Do you need a receipt ?

It's nothing to do with political correctness it's to do with stupidity. You don't walk into a Tescos and expect all the staff to have their nationality on display so you can choose which checkout to go to. You don't go to a restaurant and expect the waiters to have a little pin on flag on their uniform so you can choose which waiter/waitress you want to deal with. You don't go into Spar, and ask all the staff their nationality first...

Their jobs are contracts. Doesn't matter how many customers come in, they still get paid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Show Time wrote: »
    At least by using an Irish cab you can be certain the fare money is staying in Ireland and not going Western Union way out to some other country.

If I knew it was going Western Union to some other country I'd tip more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Amazing :D

If I knew it was going Western Union to some other country I'd tip more.
    That is your choice to make.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Morlar wrote: »
    I..............
    Plenty of islamic taxi drivers advertise their religon within the car, playing islamic music, having korans and islamic texts prominently on display etc., I wonder if varadkar is also going to be bothered by that at all ?

....how can you advertise something you have to get inside to see? If you want to play the "But what about" game, you need a Taxi with a nice big Koran on the roof.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭daltonmd

thats why any decent taxi driver installs cameras inside his/her car.

So any taxi driver (of any nationality) not equipped with this isn't decent? Grand so....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

That is your choice to make.

As is anyone's choice to do with money they earn...

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

i don't need a green light to let me know there's an irish taxi driver in the queue.

i just look at the ignorant racist asshole sitting in the driver seat.

Barring the guy having a swastika or similar tattooed on his forehead, I don't see how you could tell hes an "ignorant racist asshole" with just a look.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Bruce7

I always try to choose the nicest car. This has led to accusations of racism, but if I'm paying 15 quid or whatever to get home and have the option of travelling in a 10D E class merc or a 15 year old banged up Corolla, I'm not going to choose the latter just to spare someone's feelings. If an African is driving the nicer car I'll go with him. If he's not, tough sh*t.

As is anyone's choice to do with money they earn...

:rolleyes:
    And my choice is to make sure when i am handing over money that it is staying in the hands of a person who was born in the same country as me.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

So any taxi driver (of any nationality) not equipped with this isn't decent? Grand so....

no but if they had them installed people wouldn't be able to get away with blackmailing them to get off from paying a fare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

And my choice is to make sure when i am handing over money that it is staying in the hands of a person who was born in the same country as me.:rolleyes:

....and you think this green light/Irish sign is handed out to people on the grounds of their birthplace/citizenship?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

28064212 wrote: »
    The solution to the taxi-driver's woes is quite simple. Form a professional union, with strict joining requirements. Create a minimum set of criteria: good car, clean car, excellent knowledge of the locality, low prices. Make these taxis identifiable to customers and develop a reputation for excellence. These are things customers care about.

Things customers do not care about once the above criteria are met:
    1. Irishness of the driver
    2. "Double-jobbing"
    3. The taxi regulator
    Any union based on any of the above have absolutely no interest to the customer, yet they're the most commonly displayed attributes on taxis. I've never once seen a taxi proclaiming their excellent local knowledge, or that they have a great, clean car that provides a smooth ride, but I've seen dozens of "Irish", "Full-time taxi-driver" or anti-regulator stickers.

Dozens of industries self-regulate. They create their own professional bodies to ensure that members are recognised as adhering to a minimum set standard. Yet taxi-drivers, for which there are virtually no entry barriers, have not copped on to that fact

Makes sense, but there is nothing "professional" about driving a fúcking taxi! Even the most brain dead, borderline retarded, knobheads can manage to drive. Taxi drivers need to realise that they are absolutely unskilled workers, the days of them being paid like surgeons are gone and gone forever!
    Also when i get into a taxi i couldn't care less if the driver is from fingal or finnland, all i care is that their car is safe, they aren't half cut or stoned and they know how to get where i want to go. I couldn't give a toss if they drive 60 hours a week or 6 hours a week.
    Taxi drivers seriously need to learn their fúcking place!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

Makes sense, but there is nothing "professional" about driving a fúcking taxi! Even the most brain dead, borderline retarded, knobheads can manage to drive. Taxi drivers need to realise that they are absolutely unskilled workers, the days of them being paid like surgeons are gone and gone forever!
    Also when i get into a taxi i couldn't care less if the driver is from fingal or finnland, all i care is that their car is safe, they aren't half cut or stoned and they know how to get where i want to go. I couldn't give a toss if they drive 60 hours a week or 6 hours a week.

What a ignoramus !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

I am not a taxi driver but I'd guess there is a certain skill to dealing with condescending (along with all other kinds) customers on a daily basis.

I wouldn't call being human a skill.

Bad Panda wrote: »
    I wouldn't call being human a skill.

You're in After Hours now, be careful what you say :P

no but if they had them installed people wouldn't be able to get away with blackmailing them to get off from paying a fare.

Of course it would - but it doesn't mean that those who do not have them are not decent - whuch is what you said - But I take from you that this is not what you meant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Prop Joe wrote: »
    What a ignoramus !!!

Quoted just because it's so beautiful I wanted to look at it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Bullrush

I heard a story about "black only" and "white only" taxi ranks in Dublin. Wouldn't be surprised.

I'd be less inclined to get in one of those "Irish driver" cabs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

i'm a bit torn on this one...

if someone wants to get an irish taxi driver, i think that's up to them. for the most part it's true that a lot of black taxi guys in dublin now do not have a clue where they're going - that's not racist, i'm not implying that all black people do not know they're way around dublin and are therefore inferior to white irish people (:D) - it's simply that they tend to be new to the game, have little english etc. i've had issues myself with foreign (for the most part black) drivers and i've heard the same from a lot of people...sooooooo...

it is a bit racist, and it probably shouldn't be allowed, but i've a certain amount of sympathy for what they're trying to do. and that's why i believe it's not 'inherently' racist...these guys see a gap in the market for a fare who's sick of being brought in circles all over dublin and are trying to exploit it.

and to be pedantic, it doesn't make the driver a racist, it makes the punter. if i thought there was enough of a market out there for swaztica flags to make me a millionaire i might very start making them - doesn't mean i personally want to kill the jews.

bah the road to austwitz was paved by indifference etc...i'm ranting now, lunchbreak :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

The real issue here is the complete deregulation of the taxi industry which has let all sorts of undesirables sell licenses and buy licenses. Proper regulation should ensure there are sufficient drivers, with cars of a decent standard (there are some smelly wrecks out there!) and with detailed knowledge of the roads they work in. That is far from the case right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

just wondering if there are any black irish born taxi drivers and if so would the racist punters refuse to get in a car with him/her?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,828 ✭✭✭✭28064212

I am pie wrote: »
    The real issue here is the complete deregulation of the taxi industry which has let all sorts of undesirables sell licenses and buy licenses. Proper regulation should ensure there are sufficient drivers, with cars of a decent standard (there are some smelly wrecks out there!) and with detailed knowledge of the roads they work in. That is far from the case right now.
    Before deregulation, there were none of those regulations. The quality of taxis was just as poor, except there were much fewer than them. In the absence of proper regulations (despite the fact that taxi drivers could regulate themselves if they wanted), I'd much rather thousands of poorly regulated taxis than a couple of hundred poorly regulated ones. The probablility of a quality service is the same, but at least you can still get one instead of waiting 3 hours for one

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

6 pages until Godwin's Law? Wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

just wondering if there are any black irish born taxi drivers and if so would the racist punters refused to get in a car with him/her?

i'm sorta half racist in regard to this and i'll tell you yes, i would. but you'd need some kind of signal to know they were irish. like a green li...

yeah, like that.

Before deregulation, there were none of those regulations. The quality of taxis was just as poor, except there were much fewer than them. In the absence of proper regulations (despite the fact that taxi drivers could regulate themselves if they wanted), I'd much rather thousands of poorly regulated taxis than a couple of hundred poorly regulated ones. The probablility of a quality service is the same, but at least you can still get one instead of waiting 3 hours for one

That's kind of a half way house, 'ah sure it's not so bad' type solution though isn't. Is it so ambitious to expect proper regulation and a professional drivers union. Selling or renting plates should be illegal, drivers should be properly qualified. I can't see how this is overly obstructive and should protect the integrity of the job by ensuring only capable and accountable professionals drive taxis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Jim_Kiy

i don't need a green light to let me know there's an irish taxi driver in the queue.

i just look at the ignorant racist asshole sitting in the driver seat.

So All Irish taxi drivers are racist!!..what a racist statement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

Nodin wrote: »
    ....how can you advertise something you have to get inside to see? If you want to play the "But what about" game, you need a Taxi with a nice big Koran on the roof.

I'm going to start avoiding taxis with Padre Pio stickers on the dashboard and crucifixes and other religious icons hanging from the mirror.

That's kind of a half way house, 'ah sure it's not so bad' type solution though isn't. Is it so ambitious to expect proper regulation and a professional drivers union. Selling or renting plates should be illegal, drivers should be properly qualified. I can't see how this is overly obstructive and should protect the integrity of the job by ensuring only capable and accountable professionals drive taxis.
    Check post #7 on this thread. It's up to taxi-drivers to form this union, not wait for the government. Where is it?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ViveLaVie

I know taxi drivers who will not take black people - especially black women one told me of a fare he took from a hosptial in town to Dun Laoghaire one Sunday morning - the fare should have been about 50 euro but he felt sorry for her and charged her 35 - she immediately accused him of being "racist" and robbing her.
    When he tried to explain Sunday rates to her, she changed tack and said she would call the Garda and accuse him of "touching" her up - he was petrified and said he simply wouldn't take the chance again.

Yeah, but that's not really to do with her being black is it... it's more the fact that she was an utter bitch! I'd imagine you're just as likely to get an ignorant Irish woman sit into the car and accuse you of trying to rape her etc.

Check post #7 on this thread. It's up to taxi-drivers to form this union, not wait for the government. Where is it?

The professional union is the least necessary, what is the problem with making taxi driving a profession? Exams, no reselling of plates, decent standard of car?

Why would you not want that? ...there would still be sufficient entrants to protect supply if fairly regulated and would reduce the amount of tension amongst drivers and spare us passengers from the tiresome "these african lads..." type rants.

The professional union is the least necessary, what is the problem with making taxi driving a profession? Exams, no reselling of plates, decent standard of car?
    Why on earth should there be no reselling of plates if it is regulated? If someone can pass the exams and has a decent standard of car, why shouldn't they be allowed buy a plate?
    Why would you not want that? ...there would still be sufficient entrants to protect supply if fairly regulated and would reduce the amount of tension amongst drivers and spare us passengers from the tiresome "these african lads..." type rants.
    Because it's a waste of the government's time when they have much bigger fish to fry. And the government have a pretty poor record when it comes to regulating the service industry

The entire IT industry is totally unregulated. A 16 year-old in his bedroom can stick a website up and call himself a developer. So it self-regulates. There are professional bodies, exams created by the industry, things like Microsoft partnerships

• Advertisement

ViveLaVie wrote: »
    Yeah, but that's not really to do with her being black is it... it's more the fact that she was an utter bitch! I'd imagine you're just as likely to get an ignorant Irish woman sit into the car and accuse you of trying to rape her etc.

If that was the case he wouldn't take any woman - he never encountered this in his 22 years with an Irish woman. At the end of the day the way he sees it - any allegation against him threathens his livlihood and it's simply not a chance he can take.

If that was the case he wouldn't take any woman - he never encountered this in his 22 years with an Irish woman. At the end of the day the way he sees it - any allegation against him threathens his livlihood and it's simply not a chance he can take.
    Why did he randomly pick the fact that she was black as the deciding factor? Why not decide not to take women? Or use her age as the deciding factor? If a white woman causes a similar incident, is he going to stop taking them too?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

I hate those bloody white taxi drivers.
    Irony

Why on earth should there be no reselling of plates if it is regulated? If someone can pass the exams and has a decent standard of car, why shouldn't they be allowed buy a plate?

Because it's a waste of the government's time when they have much bigger fish to fry. And the government have a pretty poor record when it comes to regulating the service industry

The entire IT industry is totally unregulated. A 16 year-old in his bedroom can stick a website up and call himself a developer. So it self-regulates. There are professional bodies, exams created by the industry, things like Microsoft partnerships

1. If you pass the exams amd have the car you should get the plate. A max no. of plates should be in circulation. A sufficient number of plates should be in circulation to allow for retirement. Every 5 years you should reapply for the plate based on the condition of your car and condition of your license (points etc). Selling plates is completely open to abuse. It makes a commodity of the ability to get a sh1t car and drive around half aware of where you are going and damaging the reputation of good drivers.

2. What has a 16 year old in his bedroom got to do with driving a taxi ? We are talking about public service vehicles, passenger safety and risk control take this into the public realm, something the private sector is not correctly motivated to manage. Self regulation is the same farce that left us with sub standard housing stock, it's a chancer's charter. Not having done it well in the past no excuse not to do it better in future. Agreed, it's not top of anyone's in tray but i think it's a reasonably simple task which could be admininstered by the existing regulator.

1. If you pass the exams amd have the car you should get the plate. A max no. of plates should be in circulation.
    Why? No other industry gets that protection, why should taxi drivers? Why is limiting the supply a good thing for anybody except the taxi drivers?
    Selling plates is completely open to abuse. It makes a commodity of the ability to get a sh1t car and drive around half aware of where you are going and damaging the reputation of good drivers.
    How? If one of the conditions of buying a plate is passing the regulations, it's no more open to abuse than someone passing the exam and getting someone else to drive.
    2. What has a 16 year old in his bedroom got to do with driving a taxi ? We are talking about public service vehicles, passenger safety and risk control take this into the public realm, something the private sector is not correctly motivated to manage. Self regulation is the same farce that left us with sub standard housing stock, it's a chancer's charter. Not having done it well in the past no excuse not to do it better in future. Agreed, it's not top of anyone's in tray but i think it's a reasonably simple task which could be admininstered by the existing regulator.
    The taxi drivers are the ones complaining that the government is not doing anything. When are they going to take responsibility for it themselves? Or are they going to stick to "I'm Irish" stickers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Plenty of islamic taxi drivers advertise their religon within the car, playing islamic music, having korans and islamic texts prominently on display etc., I wonder if varadkar is also going to be bothered by that at all ?

I've never seen this in my life.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Those are not the choices. That's a very tired debating tactic if you don't mind me saying so.

scumbag boardsy.

posts racist dreck then attacks others debating tactics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Bit harsh on the genuinely professional drivers out there that are excellent at their job, do you not think?

It's a lot more skilful than you (and and awful lot of so-called taxi drivers I might add) can imagine.

Empty vessels make most noise, as my granny used to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

And how the feck do you know that they were born in the same country as you

I wasn't born in Ireland but bar the first 2 years of my life I have lived here and have an Irish passport and have never considered myself anything other than Irish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

And how the feck do you know that they were born in the same country as you

I wasn't born in Ireland but bar the first 2 years of my life I have lived here and have an Irish passport and have never considered myself anything other than Irish

Yeah but you are probably white so that makes you ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭vamos!

I dont see the need for the green lights. Since this really is black drivers -vs- white drivers, surely there is no need for a light? I haven't heard many real complaints against Polish, British etc drivers. Personally, I would no longer get in a car driven by a Nigerian driver. I have had a few negative experiences and have heard friends say the same. I am hardly likely to pay for a service if I don't feel safe. I am very sorry for all of the good Nigerian taxi drivers, but is it not in their interest to sort out the illegal drivers who are costing them business and not to behave in a sleazy and dangerous manner. My last experience involved me asking a driver to slow down as he was going over the white line on a country road and driving at an insane speed. He passed a car on a white line and freaked at me when I asked him not to do that again.I got out before my destination and he called me racist. That word is bandied around far far to often. Fair enough, an Irish driver could behave in the same manner, but I have yet to encounter such behaviour and can't imagine it happening a few times in a row. If I am paying the fare, it is my choice. We don't need lights though; those of us who want to avoid certain drivers will do it anyway.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement