Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

‘Inherently racist’

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 702 ✭✭✭goodie2shoes

Taxi driver assaulted and robbed passenger over fare, court told

A TAXI driver robbed a passenger and broke his collar bone with a sweeping brush and a children’s toy trailer in a dispute over a €15 fare, a court has heard.

At Ennis Circuit Court yesterday, passenger Michael L’Estrange alleged a taxi driver had assaulted him and robbed him of €70 after they had a dispute over a €15 fare in Ennis on April 25th, 2010. In the case, taxi driver Okechukwu Utuke (44), of Dún na hInse, Ennis, denies assault causing harm and robbery of Mr L’Estrange.

On the first day of the case, Mr L’Estrange said in evidence that he had been out in Ennis with friends and had drunk four to five pints. He said he was walking home when he hailed a taxi at the Country Pine store on Ennis’s Tulla Road to bring him home to the Gort na mBláth housing estate, farther out the Tulla Road, in the early hours of April 25th.

Mr L’Estrange said the fare from Ennis town centre to his home at Gort na mBláth was usually €7.50, but the driver demanded €15 for the fare.

He told the court: “I told him ‘No’. I wasn’t paying that, and I threw €10 down on the front passenger seat and got out of the car.”

Mr L’Estrange said he did not know whether there was a taxi-meter, on or off.

Elaine Shanahan, an eye witness, said she saw a taxi driver strike Mr L’Estrange with a sweeping brush and a toy trailer from a neighbour’s garden.

Mr L’Estrange said the taxi driver reached into the left-hand pocket of his jeans and took €70 from him before leaving.

Counsel for Mr Utuke, Lorcan Connolly, said Mr Utuke had paid two visits to the Gort na mBláth estate on the night, and in one case a passenger had “legged it” without paying the fare.

Mr Connolly said to Mr L’Estrange: “Mr Utuke doesn’t know anything about events that you allege about a physical altercation and robbery.”

The case continues today.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0509/1224315800756.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

there were some great responses to this issue on Newstalk. Most people saying it was an embarrassment and should be stopped, with one saying the green light should be kept so that people knew which racist scumbags to avoid.

My favourite though was the couple who said that they weren't racist or nuttin, but all dem black fellas look da same and if anything happened you wouldn't be able to tell which one had done it.

That's the great thing with racists, they are easy to spot mainly through their lack of intelligence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

Are we now just printing random articles to prove points?

Here is an article about an Irish taxi driver who raped a passenger, therefore:

ALL IRISH TAXI DRIVERS ARE RAPISTS!

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/taxi-driver-fails-in-rape-appeal-531720.html

Am i doing it right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Taxi driver assaulted and robbed passenger over fare, court told..........

And your point is...........?

reprazant wrote: »
    Are we now just printing random articles to prove points?

Here is an article about an Irish taxi driver who raped a passenger, therefore:

ALL IRISH TAXI DRIVERS ARE RAPISTS!

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/taxi-driver-fails-in-rape-appeal-531720.html

Taxi-driver fails in licence appeal

A NIGERIA taxi-driver based in Castlebar has failed in his appeal to restore his taxi driver licence after it was revoked when he was involved in an assault.
    Morris Agboerha of 52 Chestnut Grove, Castlebar was appealing the decision by Chief Superintendent Tom Curley to revoke his licence after he was involved in an assault in Castlebar in December 2009. Mr Aghoerha was convicted of assault causing harm but received the benefit of the Probation Act, which meant no actual conviction was recorded against him.
    Mr Agboerha’s had previously applied for a taxi licence in 2008 but the then Chief Supt Anthony McNamara (pictured) refused to grant one after he was accused of Social Welfare fraud in a Prime Time Investigates programme on RTÉ television. In 2009, Chief Supt Anthony McNamara granted him his licence on the condition there were no further incidents involving Mr Agboerha.
    The appeal was first heard last May and at last week’s sitting of Belmullet District Court, Judge Denis McLoughlin gave his decision not to allow the appeal.
    Mr Gary Mulchrone, solicitor for Mr Agboerha said that his client was attacked on the night of the assault and was not the aggressor. He said it was a ‘technical assault’ and that was why he was given the benefit of the Probation Act and not a conviction.
    Mr Mulchrone added that revoking his licence would go against the spirit of the Probation Act if the charge was used to revoke the licence, and explained that the licence was revoked before the full facts were heard.
    Judge Denis McLoughlin said he had adjourned the appeal hearing to determine if the facts of the case had been proved. He said he accepted the charge was dismissed under the Probation Act but the judge had found the facts of the assault had taken place. He said on that basis and the basis of the previous conviction for fraud he was refusing the appeal.

http://www.mayonews.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=14349:prime-time-taxi-driver-fails-in-licence-appeal&catid=23:news&Itemid=46

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

RichieC wrote: »
    scumbag boardsy.

posts racist dreck then attacks others debating tactics.

Learn some manners why don't you. Also this tactic of throwing allegations of racism around the place rather than respond is getting old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Stop posting random articles. They've nothing to do with the thread. /mod

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭fianna saor

this must be the only country where a display of your own nationality gets the wrath of politicians, next thing they'll be asking to change the reg plates on taxis because they have irl on them or 12d 10d etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

I have no time for racist taxi drivers, and those no 'double-jobber' 'irish taxi driver' etc signs etc drive me nuts and make me more likely to avoid a cab than anything.

But I have to say - I've never seen a taxi with these green lights on them in Dublin. Even today after reading about this yesterday I was about the city and looking out for them - I saw maybe 40+ taxis about the place and I didn't see one green light.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Morlar wrote: »
    I disagree it's xenophobic to advertise your nationality. It's giving people an informed choice. I'd always prefer an Irish born person as a taxi driver, simply because in my experience they know their way around better, have better manners and are less likely to be beligerent or bullish when asked about why they are going such and such a way and so on. My experience of African-born taxi drivers would lead me to prefer Irish or Polish or Russian etc over those ones. Call that whatever you want but that is my choice based on my experience & I am not going to have my mind changed on that.
    Learn some manners why don't you. Also this tactic of throwing allegations of racism around the place rather than respond is getting old.

allegations...

• Advertisement

allegations...

I am not prepared to favour an idealised version of reality which doesn't correspond with the reality of my own experience. If African drivers knew their way around the city and had better manners then I might change my mind. Until then I will stick with making my decisions on how I spend my money based (at least partly) on my own firsthand experience. Thanks.

allegations...

And whatsmore if you ask me the 'scumbag' behaviour on this thread is to sling insults around under the safety of the bullet proof guise of anti-racism.

That's the equivalent of a third party throwing a sucker punch in the middle of a fight between 2 people.

when the government used to tell us to 'buy irish' and products used to have the guarenteed irish logo on them was that considered 'racist' aswell. if people decide to support irish workers than that should be totally acceptable also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭twinQuins

28064212 wrote: »
    Your post is missing part of Varadkar's quote: "The green light does not form part of the official sign so it is not permitted and the green lights do have to be removed". They have to be removed because they're not part of the sign, not because it's racist.

Quoting this because despite being on the first page it seems certain individuals have gone off on their usual tangents about how Irish people have it the worst, PC GONE MAD, whatever, it all sounds the same at this stage.

when the government used to tell us to 'buy irish' and products used to have the guarenteed irish logo on them was that considered 'racist' aswell..

No....
    if people decide to support irish workers than that should be totally acceptable also.

Do you think this is based on nationality? God love your innocence if thats the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

when the government used to tell us to 'buy irish' and products used to have the guarenteed irish logo on them was that considered 'racist' aswell. if people decide to support irish workers than that should be totally acceptable also.

of course it is totally acceptable.......the loony bins cannot stop you spending your money as you choose........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,371 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Show Time wrote: »
    At least by using an Irish cab you can be certain the fare money is staying in Ireland and not going Western Union way out to some other country.

You are paying to be driven from A to B. What the driver does with the fee he charges is nothing to do with you
    I only ever use Irish cab drivers for the simple reason i don't want to be ripped off by some chap who has no idea where he is going.

I've only ever been ripped off by Irish drivers funnily enough
    And my choice is to make sure when i am handing over money that it is staying in the hands of a person who was born in the same country as me.:rolleyes:

Do you ask to see their birth certificate? What if you got into a taxi thinking the driver was Irish but it turns out he is Polish, do you refuse to pay?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

The "buy Irish" was under the guise of supporting an industry. Not an ethnicity, it was solely to do with economic activity. Fordinners work in Ireland and contribute to that industry. Ties in nicely with this thread and all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭mongdesade

Bottom line people...it's a recession, people are losing jobs, houses etc.

When those that are/feel victim to the financial restrictions of the day & see foreigners/immigrants doing better than they are, it is all to easy for rascism to rear it's ugly head.

My prediction for the future unfortunatley is that we will see racial tensions build until they finally erupt in this country leaving the floodgates open for a BNP style political [sic] party emerge to take full advantage of the negativity that is enevitably going to ensue...

Just my two cents !

• Advertisement

Nodin wrote: »

Do you think this is based on nationality? God love your innocence if thats the case.

as opposed to what?

as opposed to what?

It's based on a ill-conceived notion of whats Irish. To put it another way, its not handed out to naturalised Irish citizens on production of the right documentation.

if anybody on here prefers white irish looking taxi drivers.......that is their right.....

if they don't mind what they look like...that is also their right....

if they choose to say so...that is also their right.......

right, right, right, right, right, right, .......rights.......

It's based on a ill-conceived notion of whats Irish. To put it another way, its not handed out to naturalised Irish citizens on production of the right documentation.

i feel your complicating the matter somewhat. of course it is based on nationality if i were taking a taxi i would make sure the driver was irish.

if anybody on here prefers white irish looking taxi drivers.......that is their right.....

If they lose those rights what are we left with >?

i feel your complicating the matter somewhat. of course it is based on nationality if i were taking a taxi i would make sure the driver was irish.

...define "Irish", if you'd be as good.

• Advertisement

If they lose those rights what are we left with >?

.sinister...............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,371 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Why the pretense that it's about nationality? 'White Irish looking' taxi drivers. So any non black taxi driver then?

...define "Irish", if you'd be as good.

to me, - someone who has been born and reared in this country. i know what your getting at the 'technically' irish that have gained citizenship ok in fairness there is an argument there but we all know that when someone is looking for an irish taxi driver it is my definition they are looking for.

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Why the pretense that it's about nationality? 'White Irish looking' taxi drivers. So any non black taxi driver then?

no not necessarily ive seen chinese, polish, romanian taxi drivers being refused for the same reason

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

to me, - someone who has been born and reared in this country..

Ooh ah Paul McGrath, Ooh aaaah Paul McGr....... oh wait no, Paul wasn't born here. Tough break Mr McGrath. You no Irish no more.

• Advertisement

to me, - someone who has been born and reared in this country. i know what your getting at the 'technically' irish that have gained citizenship ok in fairness there is an argument there but we all know that when someone is looking for an irish taxi driver it is my definition they are looking for.

...so you're excluding people not born here but who are holders of Irish passport. They aren't "technically" Irish, they're Irish.

prinz wrote: »
    Ooh ah Paul McGrath, Ooh aaaah Paul McGr....... oh wait no, Paul wasn't born here. Tough break Mr McGrath. You no Irish no more.

did you read the rest of my post or do you just pick and choose which bits to read. i mentioned the 'technically irish' but in the case of the taxis most people are looking for the thoroughbreds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

did you read the rest of my post or do you just pick and choose which bits to read. i mentioned the 'technically irish' but in the case of the taxis most people are looking for the thoroughbreds

Oh, well then...

Race-based then. Lovely. I suppose you want seperate drinking fountains and jacks as well.

ceadaoin. wrote: »

whatever you choice is.......i don't live in dublin......i don't use taxi's.....
    and i don't want peoples choices taken away........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

So because say Paul McGrath was born and spent he first few days of his life in England, he's only "technically Irish".... so I assume you fully agree then that de Valera was 'technically Irish', while the Duke of Wellington was as Irish as bacon and cabbage.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Humans eh!

mongdesade wrote: »

When those that are/feel victim to the financial restrictions of the day & see foreigners/immigrants doing better than they are, it is all to easy for rascism to rear it's ugly head.

My prediction for the future unfortunatley is that we will see racial tensions build until they finally erupt in this country leaving the floodgates open for a BNP style political [sic] party emerge to take full advantage of the negativity that is enevitably going to ensue...

Just my two cents !

Best money you ever spent on this thread. And a recession busting bargain at two cents.
    Mr Varadkar would be better offf acknowledging that things like green lights are indicitave of a more troubling and sinister shadow that grows within the current global economic morass that we are all mired in.
    Sadly (but realistically) its human nature in hard times to retreat into what we know.
    Personally I have had equally bad service from taxi drivers from all nationalities, and as long as its safe clean, and reasonably priced I care not a jot who the pilot is.
    Just to stir the pot a bit I asked two black mates what they thought of this green light thing and they were completely unaware of it existing.
    But then they both told me that they only use African taxis when they travel.

Make of that what ye will.
    But the shadow of division is growing.
    "Hangs head and walks away!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

fianna saor banned for racism.

Offending post deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

provided this green light thing is true and not some makey-uppy story to distract people from other important issues - what's to stop 'non-Irish' (I use this term loosely) taxi drivers from getting green lights installed as well? I assume you don't need to show a birth cert to buy green light bulbs these days, do you? :rolleyes:

And we'd be swiftly back to square one, until someone comes up with another hare-brained scheme...

Humans eh! wrote: »
    Best money you ever spent on this thread. And a recession busting bargain at two cents.
    Mr Varadkar would be better offf acknowledging that things like green lights are indicitave of a more troubling and sinister shadow that grows within the current global economic morass that we are all mired in.
    Sadly (but realistically) its human nature in hard times to retreat into what we know.
    Personally I have had equally bad service from taxi drivers from all nationalities, and as long as its safe clean, and reasonably priced I care not a jot who the pilot is.
    Just to stir the pot a bit I asked two black mates what they thought of this green light thing and they were completely unaware of it existing.
    But then they both told me that they only use African taxis when they travel.

Make of that what ye will.
    But the shadow of division is growing.
    "Hangs head and walks away!"

Depressing, isn't it......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭daltonmd

28064212 wrote: »
    Why did he randomly pick the fact that she was black as the deciding factor? Why not decide not to take women? Or use her age as the deciding factor? If a white woman causes a similar incident, is he going to stop taking them too?

He has had incidents relating to the payment of fares before - always an issue with certain types, when these types (not only black women, but across the board) resort to making threats such as these, or behaving in a certain manner then he simply doesn't take them any more - ask any taxi driver who has had a drunk vomit in the back or had a fare to a specific area do a runner.

In this case he had had issues with black women and it culminated to this experience so he doesn't take them anymore - as I said, in his 22 years of driving a taxi he never had a white woman accuse him of being racist in the first place and then resort to threats regarding sexual assualt in the second.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭komodosp

I see plenty of "Guaranteed Irish" signs on various products in supermarkets!

BTW surely the racism will be seen when we find out if the green-light cabs enjoy better business...

Mr. Varadkar might want to sound like he's condemning racism, good for grabbing the headlines I suppose, but what he's doing is asking taxi drivers to hide information in case the customers are racist

BTW what's to stop any feicin taxi driver from buying a green light?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

I haven't seen the green lights, i've seen plenty of taxis with the stickers though. Cringeworthy and slighlty sinister. If you don't think it's a sign of racism hop in the taxi with the driver and i'm sure your opinion will be changed quick enough.

I haven't seen the green lights, i've seen plenty of taxis with the stickers though. Cringeworthy and slighlty sinister. If you don't think it's a sign of racism hop in the taxi with the driver and i'm sure your opinion will be changed quick enough.

maybe if someone from an ethnic group was taking away your customers......

you would not feel like saying great.....nice to see successfull people......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

What was all the commotion from Irish people about apartheid way back in the 70's & 80''s. Was it just a facade?

These yobo taxi drivers have tried to hold us to ransom round every single corner they lurk. Firstly they held steadfastly onto their monopoly while we all froze to death waiting for the rare thing that was the taxi. Now they want us to use only a taxi that coincidently has a green light. They are a disgrace. Thankfully many of the posters here seem to be appalled.

...so lack of commercial success is a reason to justify racial targeting. Thank the jaysus you're not running the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

just wondering if there are any black irish born taxi drivers and if so would the racist punters refuse to get in a car with him/her?

I don't know about Dublin, I'm from Donegal;)
    ...so lack of commercial success is a reason to justify racial targeting. Thank the jaysus you're not running the country.

Is it 'cos I'm black?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

So you agree it's racist then.

mongdesade wrote: »

Just my two cents !

yes but before that happens we will have to endure years of PC nonsense, designed to make people feel bad about speaking out, or (God help us) ashamed at being Irish!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

telekon wrote: »
    If it is anyway true, I will avoid the green-lit cabs like the plague.

Would much prefer a drive with a foreign taxi driver than listening to the constant, xenophobic ramblings of a bitter Irish one.

Only because you probably can't understand the ramblings, possibly xenophobic, of a bitter foreign taxi driver.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement