Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

‘Inherently racist’

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

yes but before that happens we will have to endure years of PC nonsense, designed to make people feel bad about speaking out,

Speaking out about what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

micropig wrote: »
    I don't know about Dublin, I'm from Donegal;)

Is it 'cos I is black?

Fixed that for ya..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

TBH, the main issue I have with Taxi drivers is when they decide that my house isn't far enough away to warrent a fair, and fill me with bull**** such as "I don't know where that is", or "I am not going that way, I am on my way home", and tell me to get out of the car.

Maybe they should have a green light on top of the Taxi to displey that they aren't a Cúnt.
    That would be far more helpful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

DDC1990 wrote: »
    TBH, the main issue I have with Taxi drivers is when they decide that my house isn't far enough away to warrent a fair, and fill me with bull**** such as "I don't know where that is", or "I am not going that way, I am on my way home", and tell me to get out of the car.

Maybe they should have a green light on top of the Taxi to displey that they aren't a Cúnt.

I think it currently suggests just that tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

Nodin wrote: »
    ...so lack of commercial success is a reason to justify racial targeting. Thank the jaysus you're not running the country.

read the posts please.......and only reply to the words....not what you are thinking,,,,,

i have no aspirations regarding a political career......and i only wish for freedom to speak.....

or would you like to see that banned..........?????????

ps, if i was running the country......i would use what taxi i chose to use.....

is that ok sir......

• Advertisement

We'd need a "cunt" test. This would be worth the research money, I'd say, given that it could be used in far more areas than taxi driving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

We'd need a "c[SIZE="2"]un[/SIZE]t" test. This would be worth the research money, I'd say, given that it could be used in far more areas than taxi driving.

Putting a green light on top of your car to proclaim your "Irishness" should give you an automatic pass in that particular test in fairness.

That's gotta be the best first post ever!
    You poor man!

Ah Michelle, why did you take that down??

read the posts please.......and only reply to the words....not what you are thinking,,,,,

Well then you might explain how this isn't essentially trying to justify racism.

maybe if someone from an ethnic group was taking away your customers......

you would not feel like saying great.....nice to see successfull people......

gerryo777 wrote: »
    That's gotta be the best first post ever!
    You poor man!

Ah Michelle, why did you take that down??

I'm a man, and no, I didn't.

• Advertisement

I'm a man, and no, I didn't.

That was a good post though....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

They should have stickers for taxis that say "Non-ranting driver", those cabs would get most of the business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

I do flag taxis down during the day
    And in the daytime I can't see if it the driver has a fare or not, you can't tell as you can't see a yellow light in daytime
    Stick your arm out and see if he'll stop or not

If the green light make it visible that the taxi is free then I welcome it
    Occupied/not occupied

That's what I thought the light was for
    And I open this thread and I see it's about racism.

Maybe it's simper, maybe it's just to easily show if the taxi is occupied

Listening to the Liveline podcast and yes, the light is there to help show which taxis are free during the day if you want to flag them down as they drive towards you

How did this turn into a racism story :confused:
    And a lot of the posts on this thread
    The story has nothing at all to do with racism

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,828 ✭✭✭✭28064212

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Listening to the Liveline podcast and yes, the light is there to help show which taxis are free during the day if you want to flag them down as they drive towards you

How did Leo Varadkar turn this into a racism story :confused:
    And a lot of the posts on this thread
    The story has nothing at all to do with racism
    5th post on this thread pointed out that Varadkar said they had to be removed as they were not part of the official sign. His mentions of racism were concerned with the stickers, which he said he doubted that they could be forcibly removed. The Journal is the one that made the claims about the lights, as linked to by the original story: http://www.thejournal.ie/dublin-taxi-drivers-using-covert-signal-of-irishness-444694-May2012/

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

You are correct and I edited out Leo a few minutes ago

That was serious spin from the journal.ie

A non-story realy, these green lights are welcome imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,525 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

So why is the GI logo allowed, and flaunted on Irish products but advertising your nationality on a taxi not?

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭pabloh999

I would rather give my money to someone from my country, racist? Certainly not, I feel these tough times you try look after your own.

Its kind of like buying "Guaranteed Irish"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

maybe we're going to see taxis with the Guaranteed Irish logo on them now :P

So why is the GI logo allowed, and flaunted on Irish products but advertising your nationality on a taxi not?
    Who said it's not allowed? They can paint their taxi green, white and orange if they want. What they can't do is customise their roof signs contrary to the rules of the National Transport Authority?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement

28064212 wrote: »
    Who said it's not allowed? They can paint their taxi green, white and orange if they want. What they can't do is customise their roof signs contrary to the rules of the National Transport Authority?

would the nta be anti irish then...... seems to be a trend these days.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

You beat me to it!! Supporting Irish jobs/shop local etc. blah blah blah.

We are the only country in the world where we are either afraid or just not bothered to fly the national flag. Why is this?

Are we now not being allowed to promote our identity? What about the Ireland flags which will be adorning taxis etc in the coming months- will they be prosecuted for this now?

The political correctness lobby are going too far with this one.

Secondly, how come so many immigrants with no local knowledge, and an obvious inability to speak English were even granted PSV licenses in the first place?

Is there some kind of unique on the job training scheme in place for them or is it because there would be accusations of racism if they were refused licenses?

I personally feel more at ease with local Irish drivers, and indeed local Irish waiters and waitresses for that matter, rather than feeling that I have to interpret what someone in broken English is trying to say.

And if I had a job on offer, and I had an Irish and a non Irish applicant with the same qualifications, I would probably give it to the Irish- why?

I am honestly fed up with employers employing customer service operatives (which is what taxi drivers are) who cannot speak, converse, locally empathise (ie, I have to spell out every single thing, as in dealing with a foreign call centre worker) or make patrons feel at their ease.

You beat me to it!! Supporting Irish jobs/shop local etc. blah blah blah.

We are the only country in the world where we are either afraid or just not bothered to fly the national flag. Why is this?

Are we now not being allowed to promote our identity? What about the Ireland flags which will be adorning taxis etc in the coming months- will they be prosecuted for this now?

The political correctness lobby are going too far with this one.

Secondly, how come so many immigrants with no local knowledge, and an obvious inability to speak English were even granted PSV licenses in the first place

Is there some kind of unique on the job training scheme in place for them or is it because there would be accusations of racism if they were refused licenses?

I personally feel more at ease with local Irish drivers, and indeed local Irish waiters and waitresses for that matter, rather than feeling that I have to interpret what someone in broken English is trying to say.

And if I had a job on offer, and I had an Irish and a non Irish applicant with the same qualifications, I would probably give it to the Irish- why?

I am honestly fed up with employers employing customer service operatives (which is what taxi drivers are) who cannot speak, converse, locally empathise (ie, I have to spell out every single thing, as in dealing with a foreign call centre worker) or make patrons feel at their ease.

i (india)...am (alpha/mike)....happy (hotel/alpha/papa/papa/yankee)...

would the nta be anti irish then...... seems to be a trend these days.

How could they be anti-Irish?

You might also explain your earlier remark here.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=78696472&postcount=160

How could they be anti-Irish?

You might also explain your earlier remark here.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=78696472&postcount=160

i am not into explanations..........not tonight anyway....

if you have a problem, ignore me...

or ask the nta...

i am not into explanations..........not tonight anyway....

So you were justifying racial discrimination earlier on. Grand then so.
    or ask the nta...

I'd have to have something to ask them about first.

So you were justifying racial discrimination earlier on. Grand then so.

I'd have to have something to ask them about first.

i am justifying free speech......and the right to choose.......

maybe you are not happy with that........such is life...

It certainly looks like it will not be allowed if it could be linked/construed to what is being claimed. Funny how things work out.

How would Varadkar and the NTA have dealt with this it if the Irish drivers had adopted the EU ring of stars symbol as their sign of choice?

And from listening to radio reports earlier, the green light, is seperate from, and not customizing the existing roof sign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

pabloh999 wrote: »
    I would rather give my money to someone from my country, racist? Certainly not, I feel these tough times you try look after your own.

Its kind of like buying "Guaranteed Irish"
    There is something in that.
    If you stick to Irish drivers it is more likely that your money will stay in the country.

• Advertisement

i am justifying free speech......and the right to choose.......

maybe you are not happy with that........such is life...

For somebody big on free speech, you seem remarkably reluctant to speak freely or clearly.

My favourite though was the couple who said that they weren't racist or nuttin, but all dem black fellas look da same and if anything happened you wouldn't be able to tell which one had done it.

Call me a racist so

I wouldn't say they all look the same but yeah, if I was asked to give to identify a driver I'd find it more difficult

It's recognized by police forces and justice departments around the world

Here's some more on it
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross-race_effect
    Cross-race effect (sometimes called cross-race bias or other-race bias) is the tendency for people of one race to have difficulty recognizing and processing faces and facial expressions of members of a race or ethnic group other than their own.

The cross-race effect is scientifically explored in the fields of behavioral biology, human ethology (also called urban ethology), and social psychology. In this neural phenomenon of face recognition, humans perform better when they recognize faces and emotional facial expressions of persons of their own race in comparison to faces and emotional facial expressions of persons of other races.

For somebody big on free speech, you seem remarkably reluctant to speak freely or clearly.

for somebody who criticises.........you seem to have an inherently biased opinion...

for somebody who criticises.........you seem to have an inherently biased opinion...

...you mean I have a bit of a problem with racists? Why I'm suprised you noticed.

...you mean I have a bit of a problem with racists? Why I'm suprised you noticed.

a bit of a problem with irish taxi drivers........did they overcharge you.....or drive straight past........or is it all irish people...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

On a personal note.....
    I had 3 incidents in taxis with non-national(african)drivers.

1: On the way home from shopping in city centre the taxi man whose taxi I was in perceived some slight whilst driving(I didn't notice anything) from a woman through Phibsboro who was driving in the lane beside him. He lost the plot. Firstly he hurled verbal abuse out through the window, ffing and swearing. Then if that wasn't enough(she didn't reply or acknowledge him which is what I would do too)he FORCED her onto the footpath and then drove on swearing filth the whole journey. I got out shaking.

2: Got into taxi on the Navan road and asked him to take me to Castleknock. He didn't know hiw to get to Castleknock from the Navan rd:eek::eek::eek:

3: Got a taxi to go into town to meet friends for a meal(early evening). Was dressed to go out but fairly modestly. The stuff this guy came out with was disgraceful. I have gotten many a taxi over the years and never had anything like this. I wont even go into the stuff this guy was coming out(really sexual and sleazy stuff). I was sitting in the back(as I always would anyway)and tried my best to ignore him, this didn't go down to well with him so he started "talking" about his samurai sword he keeps in the car and what he happens to "slutty bitches". It was at this point that I politely asked him to pull over and threw 20 euro in the front and ran as fast as I could.

I will never get into another taxi with a non-national driver again, call me what you will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Do fight all injustice or just racism? Do you wear a cape?

mishkalucy wrote: »
    On a personal note.....

1: On the way home from shopping in city centre the taxi man whose taxi I was in perceived some slight whilst driving(I didn't notice anything) from a woman through Phibsboro who was driving in the lane beside him. He lost the plot. Firstly he hurled verbal abuse out through the window, ffing and swearing. Then if that wasn't enough(she didn't reply or acknowledge him which is what I would do too)he FORCED her onto the footpath and then drove on swearing filth the whole journey. I got out shaking.

2: Got into taxi on the Navan road and asked him to take me to Castleknock. He didn't know hiw to get to Castleknock from the Navan rd:eek::eek::eek:

3: Got a taxi to go into town to meet friends for a meal(early evening). Was dressed to go out but fairly modestly. The stuff this guy came out with was disgraceful. I have gotten many a taxi over the years and never had anything like this. I wont even go into the stuff this guy was coming out(really sexual and sleazy stuff). I was sitting in the back(as I always would anyway)and tried my best to ignore him, this didn't go down to well with him so he started "talking" about his samurai sword he keeps in the car and what he happens to "slutty bitches". It was at this point that I politely asked him to pull over and threw 20 euro in the front and ran as fast as I could.

I will never get into another taxi with a non-national driver again, call me what you will.

clever...well done..

a bit of a problem with irish taxi drivers.....

Have you seen any posts of mine attacking Irish taxi drivers? Do please share a quote and a link.

Do fight all injustice or just racism? Do you wear a cape?

I presume there's a point you're trying to make there.....

It certainly looks like it will not be allowed if it could be linked/construed to what is being claimed. Funny how things work out.

How would Varadkar and the NTA have dealt with this it if the Irish drivers had adopted the EU ring of stars symbol as their sign of choice?

And from listening to radio reports earlier, the green light, is seperate from, and not customizing the existing roof sign.
    It's attached to the roof sign. The NTA have released a statement (which you would know if you read the two relevant pieces from the Journal) saying it contravenes the rules, regardless of whether it's green, blue or yellow:
    NTA wrote:
    However, it can confirm that any such lights, regardless of the reason for their display, are contrary to rules relating to customising taxi roof signs and should therefore be removed.

• Advertisement

clever...well done..

Not sure what you mean

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

It's a bit stupid isn't it? Jesus let them put a f***ing tricolour if they want! Would they really insist if some Nigerian lad had a blue light or some Indian guy had a right light? Probably not. What does it matter about the green lights? If you're a racist you're just going to look in the window and not get in the car anyway. If not, then a green light probably won't even come into your thinking and might actually have the opposite effect.

It's attached to the roof sign. The NTA have released a statement (which you would know if you read the two relevant pieces from the Journal) saying it contravenes the rules, regardless of whether it's green, blue or yellow:

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Perhaps a green bauble attached to the radio aerial would be OK with the NTA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

On a personal note.....

Did you take any of their plates and submit a formal complaint?

Any immigrant population will be looking for the lowest barrier to entry jobs. Taxi'ing is one of these, and it obviously means dealing with the public.

Under educated, culturally unadjusted immigrants filling these are going to misrepresent their race (from the perspective of those who judge things by the first common denominator - ie skin colour/accent) but of course that says as much for the culturally unadjusted locals who use this small sample size as the basis of their argument for their under educated, culturally unadjusted views on race.

Cianos wrote: »
    Did you take any of their plates and submit a formal complaint?

Any immigrant population will be looking for the lowest barrier to entry jobs. Taxi'ing is one of these, and it obviously means dealing with the public.

Under educated, culturally unadjusted immigrants filling these are going to misrepresent their race (from the perspective of those who judge things by the first common denominator - ie skin colour/accent) but of course that says as much for the culturally unadjusted locals who use this small sample size as the basis of their argument for their under educated, culturally unadjusted views on race.

I reported the first and the third guy. The first guy because what he did to that driver was terrible and also scared the crap out of me, he drove like a madman. And the third guy because the stuff he came out with was seriously shocking. Full on stuff,and then when I didn't play ball he resorted to sword talk:eek:
    Never heard back from the carraige office on either case though

Also I dont know what you mean by a "small Sample".
    Over the last 20 years I have taken hundreds of taxi journeys in Dublin and never experienced this before

Victor wrote: »
    It as much says "I'm Irish, hire me because I'm Irish"

I've never seen this. Regardless, how are you going to spot these things while hailing a taxi?

OK, but companies are allowed to have 'Made in Ireland' stamped all over their produce, with the implication being that it's a superior product or buying this product will keep jobs in Ireland or whatever it is. Why should services be different? If a taxi guy wants to say 'I'm Irish, I claim to know this area best, or hire me because I'm a Dub and will keep your money in Dublin or whatever', why should he be stopped by government? It's the choice of the customer regardless; if you want to think he's a superior cab driver, get in the car. If you want to think he's a racist (even though it's arguable more nationalist than racist really, but that's irrelevant), don't get in the car. People are going to be racist anyway, green light or not! You can't stop people thinking! It's a ridiculous situation to have to mitigate for. Just leave it be.

token101 wrote: »
    OK, but companies are allowed to have 'Made in Ireland' stamped all over their produce, with the implication being that it's a superior product or buying this product will keep jobs in Ireland or whatever it is. Why should services be different? ..........

...in which case, wouldn't it be better for the government to issue certificates of Irish identity to be placed on the cars of Irish citizens in a fair manner?

...in which case, wouldn't it be better for the government to issue certificates of Irish identity to be placed on the cars of Irish citizens in a fair manner?

No! How is that fairer? Would taxi drivers have to carry their passports to prove that? It's just daft and totally pointless. If they want to have lights, let them have them. Nothing stopping some cute Nigerian putting a light up too FFS! It's just a daft situation; a non issue. As I said, racists are racists and will choose regardless of signs/lights/flags, they'll just look in the window. Forget the I'm Irish signs, and maybe put some focus on why people are so racist to begin with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

I reported the first and the third guy. The first guy because what he did to that driver was terrible and also scared the crap out of me, he drove like a madman. And the third guy because the stuff he came out with was seriously shocking. Full on stuff,and then when I didn't play ball he resorted to sword talk:eek:
    Never heard back from the carraige office on either case though

Also I dont know what you mean by a "small Sample".
    Over the last 20 years I have taken hundreds of taxi journeys in Dublin and never experienced this before

By small sample I mean that you're forming an opinion about people of a particular race, based on a small number of people of that race.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭scooby2791

Personally have no problem with the green lights idea on taxi's. 10/10 times I'll choose an Irish taxi driver over a foreign one. Rather listen to an Irish taxi driver moan for the journey than be ripped off by a foreign driver, which has happened to me almost every single time I have gotten into one of their taxi's.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement