Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Something wrong with names on Google Maps

Options
  • 15-05-2012 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭

Have a look at Google Maps for Ireland.

There is something wrong with what places are showing up and what places are not showing up.

Zoom in and out to different levels and you will see that some very small places are named on the map while some much bigger places are not on the map.

For example at certain zoom levels :

Athlone is not on the map but much smaller places like clonbrusk and bonavalley are.

Navan is not on the map but devlin is.

Arklow is not on the map but lamberton is.

Zoom out a long way and two small places in cork are showing up, coronea and leap.

This has only happened recently maybe in the last week or two. Does anyone know anything about this or if they will change it back to normal ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

This is normal. Different names appear at different zoom levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭green123

I dont think it is normal and it certainly doesnt make any sense and i am almost certain that this change just happened in the last week.

A bigger place should show up first and that was the way it used to be on google maps.

mullingar is not on the map but mullingar business park is.

celbridge is not on the map but some housing estate st raphaels manor in celbridge shows up first

maybe a tourist is looking at the map and is looking for killarney in kerry, no mention of it, but again much smaller places like rathmore and ballycasheen beside killarney are showing up

that is crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Yeah, I did notice that. I thought it was just me not recognising place names when viewing some maps.

nljYa.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭green123

i have been searching for information and i cant really find anything directly related to it, but i did find this : https://groups.google.com/a/googleproductforums.com/forum/?fromgroups#!topic/maps/o8Cqm1BOyAA
    a question about some place names that have been changed to the irish version in the last week according to that poster.
    so that would indicate that google are messing about with things

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭The Dark Knight

+1 to the OP

There is definitely something seriously wrong!!!
    And it's not just a small detail...it's actually making google maps very difficult to use. I'm currently looking a a trip through Cavan and its really hard to see the place names.... Cavan town isn't even showing up!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Yeah, I couldn't find Tipperary last week...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

I'm so glad to find a thread on this, I thought I was going mad !
    This has definitely happened recently as I very often use google maps and never had that problem before.
    I wonder is it a case that they will show the place names that have been searched for in the last while or something ?
    It is really, really annoying, and totally ridiculous.
    Cobh did not appear until a very very close zoom, for a tourist checking out itinary that would be a nightmare.

I'm going to experiment with my area name to see if it comes up the next time I open it.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Nuno

Something seriously whacky going on here.... The issue is still continuing and Google don't seem to be doing anything to fix it. Honestly though, where would you even post to raise this as an issue with Google?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

Nuno wrote: »
    Something seriously whacky going on here.... The issue is still continuing and Google don't seem to be doing anything to fix it. Honestly though, where would you even post to raise this as an issue with Google?
    maps.google.ie

Report a prob down the bottom there I suppose....probably read it.

edit:http://support.google.com/maps/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=162873&topic=1687362&ctx=topic
    What is the review and correction process?

Once we've received your edit or suggestion we'll confirm it with other users, data providers, or Street View imagery. If you submit your email address when you submitted your report, we'll keep you posted on the progress of your suggestion or edit.

In some cases we might not be able to immediately confirm a solution to your problem. Please be patient. As more people tell us about the issue, we'll have more information that we can use to verify the fix we need to make. Remember, if you sign in and let us know you want to be kept updated, we'll keep you posted on any changes to the status of your issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Yeah, I couldn't find Tipperary last week...
    'tis a long way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭redt0m

Once we've received your edit or suggestion we'll confirm it with other users, data providers, or Street View imagery...

Or they could just pull out any old, you know, OS map to check...

I've noticed Streets on our town map that don't even exist, does not give me any confidence in Google Maps whatsoever...

• Registered Users Posts: 3 04417381

I am a guest-house owner and i regularly show guests directions and places of interest using Google maps but recently it has been just confusion....a lot of major towns are not listed. What is the problem? You have to zoom too close, for example, why does Westport not appear yet the demesne does....its unrecognisable even for an Irishman who knows his geography!!!

maps?hl=en

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

It's a prefect moment to try http://www.openstreetmap.org/ :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Claremorris

I notified Google a few weeks ago that Claremorris town had recently changed to Clare, which is a nearby townland. Claremorris now shows up as a townland in Knock, which is 10 km from Claremorris. Google replied promptly to say -"We'll send you an update once your report has been reviewed to let you know the resolution". I have heard nothing since.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

Similar with Monaghan town - it's now Tirkeenan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Dymo

Thurles and Templemore and Urlingford all missing unless you're zoomed right into them. Make's google maps impossible to use when you can't see places and definitely is a recent phenomenal because I used to use it a lot before with no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 connorsml

Dymo wrote: »
    Thurles and Templemore and Urlingford all missing unless you're zoomed right into them. Make's google maps impossible to use when you can't see places and definitely is a recent phenomenal because I used to use it a lot before with no problems.

I reported this to Google a couple of months ago when it first started happening, and I have heard nothing since. As it stands, Google maps in Ireland is as good as useless. It is not like Google to drop the ball like this. I have been trying MapQuest and the Microsoft one recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 irishd

Agreed, it's Pants!

Was trying to figure out a route though Meath & found this new town called "Archdeaconry Glebe". Had to zoom in to see it was Kells!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

Used it today. Jolly, it is bad isin't it?

Was just Googling around to see if this is making any headlines

Where’s Longford Gone? :D:pac:

If you look at the bottom of the Maps, Google uses these guys in Ireland to provide Map Data, having dropped them 3 years ago in the US.

No harm to complain to them aswell.

Wonder why they don't use the same sources for Europe as US?

Have reported the problem too, no response. Let's all just keep reporting, surely they'll have to do something about it then. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

D.15 has a lot of main roads wrong now. ????

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

Google Maps added "Report a Problem" for Ireland last week and have updated their maps. They seem to have included the Irish Names of many streets.

Good Riddance TeleAtlas!

RevBluejeans

Some improvement for my area zoomed out to bigger towns levels, but with the zoom halfway up the bar, still too many townland names showing and some small towns missing.
    Have reported again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

It's annoying alright, Google have made a right monkey's mickey out of the whole thing

Just in GMaps there and it looks all sorted.....at least all the places I notices before are now correct. :)
    Hope they keep it updated correctly!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Still wrong where I'm looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Way too many streets with dual Irish & English names where there simply isn't room on the map to accommodate them.

And townland names in Dublin that nobody uses any more are listed instead of popular suburb names - I'm looking at the southside of Dublin and can see 'Pembroke East', 'Pembroke West' and the area around Sth. Gt. George's St. is apparently called 'Royal Exchange'.

Bizarrely they seem to have picked up the names of thousands of individual houses in the suburbs. Zoom in so that the scale lines in the lower-left shows 500 ft/100m and then scan around any of the suburbs and you'll see what I mean. Virtually every single house between Whites Cross and Foxrock Church on the N11 is listed. Means they have probably picked up their new digital maps from An Post.

BostonB wrote: »
    Still wrong where I'm looking.
    Can you give some examples?
    Navan, Monaghan, Cavan, Kells, Carrickmacross, Mullingar, Killarney are all fixed. These are just a few of the ones that remember wrong.

Still not fully right where I'm looking, reported again. It's fine at a lesser zoom level, better than it was, but if you get a bit closer, all you see are townlands, and some bigger villages/towns omitted.

For example near me is the village/town (?) of Cappoquin. But when you zoom to the level where you should see it, all you see are the townlands all around, not Cappoquin itself. Not much use to a tourist looking for b&b in Cappoquin itself for example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

coylemj wrote: »
    Means they have probably picked up their new digital maps from An Post.

Thanks, The sudden appearance of thousands of house names was puzzling me as well.

I have reported several errors (street names and street locations) over the last few weeks and g-maps have corrected about 85% of them sometimes within hours. This is a massive improvement over TeleAtlas who are pretty useless.

They seem to have difficulty where part of a street is correct but part of it is incorrect - the end up "over correcting" and its difficult to explain with the "one way" nature of the communication.

I like the townland designation in the rural areas but they are largely meaningless in urban areas.

The irish names are ridiculous and should be cut out (perhaps leave them in the gaeltacht areas).

Advertisement