Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proposed Che Guevara sculpture on the prom

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭TobyZiegler

Brilliant, we could put her up next to Oscar - maybe with her hand on his shoulder. Two of our greats.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 liabhroidi

here is the story from that post...

Cuban exile millionaire offers to pay for statue of Lindsay Lohan in Irish city that wants to honor Guevara

(MIAMI) A reclusive Florida-based businessman who is angered by the decision of an Irish city council to erect a statue of Che Guevara is attempting to ridicule the decision by offering to fund the installation of a monument to movie star Lindsay Lohan, saying that her links to Galway are stronger than those of Guevara.
    Florida-based philanthropist and Cuban exile Elviro Sanchez made the offer today after being informed that moves to erect the Guevara statue in Galway, Ireland are to proceed next month when the City Council meets to vote on the matter.
    The decision to honor Guevara has led to a barrage of criticism from prominent US and Irish politicians, with Ileana Ros-Lehtinen, currently the most senior Republican woman in the U.S. House, directly contacting Irish prime minister Enda Kenny about the matter.
    She was supported by Congressman David Rivera in opposing the statue which has been approved in principle by the Galway council.
    However fruit plantation millionaire Sanchez who fled Casto's Cuba with his three brothers has said that he is incensed by the decision of the Council and said that if they can truly justify the Guevara decision on the grounds of genealogy, celebrity, and cost, then he will test their resolve with the offer of funding for a statue of colorful actress Lohan, whose father Michael was born in Galway.
    In a statement released through his Orlando spokesman, he confirmed the offer was genuine and mail offers were being forwarded to the Galway council this week. "Yes, I am mocking the ridiculous senseless decision to honor Guevara but my offer to find the Lohan statue is genuine. I am hoping this will be placed on the agenda of their next meeting. I have contacted some councillors who are opposed to the Guevara statue and they are to help facilitate this being tabled at the next meeting, so that both statues will be discussed on the same night.
    "I am confident that sufficient support will be forthcoming for my offer, even if the Guevara decision goes ahead," he said, adding that he has been vociferous in his opposition to the Guevara plan, as well as being in contact with the Irish government and Ms Ros-Lehtinen's office.
    "My researchers have discovered that Ms Lohan's connections with Galway are stronger than those of Che Guevara. Also, they have noted that her celebrity is greater because she has five times as many mentions on Google as Guevara, so the connection, the celebrity and the funding are in place," he said.
    "Now it is a matter of seeing if my offer will be tabled and accepted by the council members."
    Sanchez fled Cuba with his three brothers and all three worked on the family fruit plantation business before selling it to transnational Hazlo for $800million in 2006.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 liabhroidi

Council will be under pressure to agree to this now on the same basis their agreeing to Guevara as this bloke is supplying the readies. I can see Paraig Connelly jumping on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,475 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

PC jumping on LL :O
    That image is going to haunt me in my sleep!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I'm fairly sure the story is bollocks, but couldn't care less if they put up a statue of her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Her dad Michael is from Galway so sure why not.
    Personally I'd like to see a statue of Jon Riley in the city too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

can we do angelica heuston instead.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

Ficheall wrote: »
    I'm fairly sure the story is bollocks, but couldn't care less if they put up a statue of her.

I'm fairly sure you're right.
    [Citation Needed] has never been more appropriate, looks like somebody seeing if this story can grow legs. I especially like the newswire style "(MIAMI)" at the start of the article.

I was going to google some images of LL as potential templates for the statue bit since I am in work I don't think I will.

Potential location: Down by Spanish Arch with a can in her hand.

I was going to google some images of LL as potential templates for the statue bit since I am in work I don't think I will.

Potential location: Down by Spanish Arch with a can in her hand.

lol
    or outside supremacs eyre square.......with a can in her hand. :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

If she has true Galway lineage, it has to be a bottle of Bucky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Canvasser

These right wing Cuban fascists and GOP lunatics should be told to f*ck off. We are a sovereign nation and it's none of their business.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Mr_A

Lash them up sure. Stick of statues of all sorts on the prom, it's a bit dull in any case.

Random statues could be Galway's 'thing'. This time next year we'll be millionaires.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I like it

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Mr_A

i think the logical place to start is a 50 foot high statue of Michael D stomping on a Mayo person while firing a flamethrower out into Galway Bay.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

This could be our new tourist attraction...something akin to the Hollywood walk of fame but with statues of controversial semi famous dubious figures dotted along the prom.The Galway walk of infamy.

Now who else can we form a tenuous link with Galway with, let's hope we have an embarrassing X factor auditionee this year.

you could have JFK sitting down beside Che Guevars (like the Wilde one in town) - maybe they could have a mojito in their hand.

Now that would please everyone on either side, and would be a great talking point for locals and tourists alike. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

It'll have to be a naked statue..One in which visitors can get their hands on..

If we put up a statue of Kim Jong-il could we get Kim Jong-un to unveil it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Forgive my ignorance here, but why are we putting up a statue of Che Guevara in the first place? For shíts and giggles?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭celty

I'd love to see a statue of Cllr Padraig Conneely.

It would be even better than the real thing ... because it would never open its mouth!

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭celty

Apparently now some goon of a Cuban American has suggested he'd like to pay for a statue of Lindsay Lohan in Galway ... as she has stronger Galway links than El Che

Forgive my ignorance here, but why are we putting up a statue of Che Guevara in the first place? For shíts and giggles?

Because he's an international hero with galway ancestry.

Canvasser wrote: »
    Because he's an international hero with galway ancestry.

And sher it's not as if we can't afford a few statues as the urge takes us. We don't want any money burning a hole in our pockets.

cause the councilors have to make a name for themselves somehow, and it sure aint through fighting for their constituents - instead they will put up a monument to a fighter - good enough. :D:D

celty wrote: »
    I'd love to see a statue of Cllr Padraig Conneely.

It would be even better than the real thing ... because it would never open its mouth!

LOL, you could put him bent over the wall at the end of the prom, so instead of kicking the wall you could give him a good root up the aras. :D:D

And sher it's not as if we can't afford a few statues as the urge takes us. We don't want any money burning a hole in our pockets.

It would not cost anything. The Cuban and Argentine embassies have already offered to pay for the statue and it's believed it will bring extra tourist revenue to the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

biko wrote: »
    Her dad Michael is from Galway so sure why not.
    Personally I'd like to see a statue of Jon Riley in the city too.

A guy with Anti-American sentiments that ultimately was a loser and who's death was drink related. Sounds like Galway to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

TBF to the Cuban guy it's about time somebody took the piss out of this Irish culture of claiming the tiniest link to famous people.

• Advertisement

Canvasser wrote: »
    It would not cost anything. The Cuban and Argentine embassies have already offered to pay for the statue and it's believed it will bring extra tourist revenue to the city.

Thanks I didn't know that.

Would it not be feared that it might isolate us from visits from American tourists which seems to be where the big tourism money is in Ireland as far as I know ?

Advertisement