Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proposed Che Guevara sculpture on the prom

Options
1235»

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 171 ✭✭Night Falls

Don't forget Conneely. Very unlike him to resort to political opportunism to get his name in the papers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

To put things in perspective, London has a statue of Oliver Cromwell.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

At least he was born in England!

Wompa1 wrote: »
    At least he was born in England!
    Michael Jackson wasn't born in Fulham and they have a statue :P

Anyway Galway has a Latin Quarter, didn't you hear? Che Lynch would have loved a statue of himself linked with an area of Galway invented by a marketing scheme.

Anyway Galway has a Latin Quarter, didn't you hear? Che Lynch would have loved a statue of himself linked with an area of Galway invented by a marketing scheme.

Yeah...London has a statue of an American peadophile so we should get a statue of a Cuban murderer.

Jaysus, don't get me started on that Latin Quarter ****e!

• Advertisement

Yeah...London has a statue of an American peadophile so we should get a statue of a Cuban murderer.

Jaysus, don't get me started on that Latin Quarter ****e!
    Che was Argentinian.

Che was Argentinian.

D'Oh! Point still stands though. Argentina ain't Ireland.

I didn't like us claiming Obama or Ali either.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭bernardamaac.

While your at them point's might as well give graham northon a skip, And plastic paddy louis walsh.

While your at them point's might as well give graham northon a skip, And plastic paddy louis walsh.

Can we give Bono to another country?

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭bernardamaac.

Can we give Bono to another country?

Nah a national treasure right there. And i never ever listened too him.Il put it this way to what your saying about ali,che and obama when i come of age and leave this god foresaken country and start my own family id hope my kids , grandkid's consider themselves irish because they will still have my blood and name so why should he not be classed as irish does he not have "irish rebel's blood flowing through his veins" ? I see simon cox irish international was born in england or aus and he's considered irish. If you look closely at what che done he stopped everything in cuba that was happening in ireland at the time,Interment without trial and stopped the firing squads. Atleast he was his own man and found communism himself instead of being born into western diplomacy. Remember facism and communist work well maybe even better than diplomacy as showed by hitler before ww2. He fought for working class people just like larkin connolly and he done it succesfully so i consider him an irish hero.

• Advertisement

I see simon cox irish international was born in england or aus and he's considered irish.
    Is he? His parents and 3 of his grandparents are English, and I doubt he spends any time in Ireland other than training/playing with the international squad. It's a tad unfair to make judgements without knowing him personally but I doubt he'd have chosen Ireland if he could have got an England call-up.

I don't think any of these were "us claiming" them, if anything it's been the other way around. Obama milked the Irish-American vote, Ali chose to come over, and Che Guevara was quite proud of his Irish roots.

Personally I'm not too sure about this statue as I think he would be disgraced with today's Ireland and thoroughly embarrassed to be associated with it.

Said it before & I'll say it again.

He doesn't have the support of the *entire* community, there would be many in the city who this statue would be an affront to. For that reason *alone* it should not go ahead.

Even then, we'd be better off putting up a statue of Bobby Sands. I'm no supporter of him, but he is more relevant to Irish history.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Cromwell is regarded as a hero over there. most English do not learn about his heroic deeds among the wilde irishe.

not in Galway at the moment. is the statue only proposed and being debated or are there signs that it is going to go ahead?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

a statue of Che would be another attraction to the city, I wonder what nickname he would be given?

Advertisement