Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tramore....

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Yaxihy

blankAs wrote: »
    dont think its just an internal fine geal feud, think its more like too many people with their fingers in too many holes. just look at the board of directors, how many other things are these people involved in? Yes they are great people blah blah blah but why dont they allow other people to get involved and provide complete transparency for their projects. yes i know theres a town council meeting tonight regarding the metalman but do we realy trust these people? i think its time for a general assembly in tramore and allow the people to make their views known. anyone out there been invloved in the general assembly process? i propose the cannons field as a location.

The local and European elections are next year, that's when you express your preference for who you want representing you and this decision can be based on how much you trust them.

There is no process that I know of, to arrange a "general assembly" as you're referring to it...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

blankAs wrote:
    do we realy live in a town where more effort goes into tourism rather than necessary community facility's?!!
    The tourism groups put their effort goes into tourism, community facilities like that childcare place are not their responsibility.
    dont think its just an internal fine geal feud, think its more like too many people with their fingers in too many holes. just look at the board of directors, how many other things are these people involved in? Yes they are great people blah blah blah but why dont they allow other people to get involved and provide complete transparency for their projects. yes i know theres a town council meeting tonight regarding the metalman but do we realy trust these people? i think its time for a general assembly in tramore and allow the people to make their views known. anyone out there been invloved in the general assembly process? i propose the cannons field as a location.
    I take it you are part of all this carry-on on Facebook in support of the three Town Councillors (Maxine Keoghan, Ann Marie Power, Pat Finnerty) who have opposed Tramore Tourism's proposal for the Metalman? i.e. spreading lies and misinformation, and trying to fear monger about the so-called 'private' company being set up.

I noticed you are repeating the same accusations as on the Voice of the Metalman Facebook page such as "behind closed doors" etc, well Tramore Tourism has been open about their plans and have now called a public meeting to discuss them, hope that satisfies you. Most things in life get done "behind closed doors" in various meetings, it's not a big conspiracy to keep the public out.

I don't know why you have a problem with Tramore Tourism. Honestly, what is your grudge against them, because it is clear you have a chip on your shoulder about them. If you can't trust them then who can you trust in the town? What exactly are you worried about, that they are going to flog off the Metalman to some billionaire who will turn it into a block of flats?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

So much negativity lately, its depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭blankAs

The tourism groups put their effort goes into tourism, community facilities like that childcare place are not their responsibility.
    it seems the people who are involved with the tourism groups are also involved with the community groups, not nameing names but a quick look at the board of directors will show up the same names again and again. all well and good looking great on all these boards but do some work!

i am part of no carry on on facebook, ha love that phrase 'carry on', i dont have a grudge against tramore tourism just dont see why so much effort should be going into tourism when there are citizens of this town in need of help and services that arnt being provided. i on the fence on the metal man issue, the queen of england can take it into her ownership for all i care, its not realy the most pressing issue at the moment when you take away all of the media/facebook hype.
    what makes me chuckle is the no bad media policy of TT, is this why noone wants to talk about the poverty, hunger, heroin and housing problem in this town?? the people of this town are failing and the place on the branch road, the meeting place its called was providing help and support to people that realy need it and now heres another service being removed but all the councillers are too busy to care because of a pillar with a lump of metal on it. take care of people first, then metal.
    yeah yeah it could create jobs and all that bollox but deal with the crisis' at hand first, ensure the people of the town are doing alright. tramore has one of the highest unemployment rates in the country, yet noone wants to talk about the problem, is this due to TT no negitive media policy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Brick Session

it seems the people who are involved with the tourism groups are also involved with the community groups, not nameing names but a quick look at the board of directors will show up the same names again and again. all well and good looking great on all these boards but do some work!

i am part of no carry on on facebook, ha love that phrase 'carry on', i dont have a grudge against tramore tourism just dont see why so much effort should be going into tourism when there are citizens of this town in need of help and services that arnt being provided. i on the fence on the metal man issue, the queen of england can take it into her ownership for all i care, its not realy the most pressing issue at the moment when you take away all of the media/facebook hype.
    what makes me chuckle is the no bad media policy of TT, is this why noone wants to talk about the poverty, hunger, heroin and housing problem in this town?? the people of this town are failing and the place on the branch road, the meeting place its called was providing help and support to people that realy need it and now heres another service being removed but all the councillers are too busy to care because of a pillar with a lump of metal on it. take care of people first, then metal.
    yeah yeah it could create jobs and all that bollox but deal with the crisis' at hand first, ensure the people of the town are doing alright. tramore has one of the highest unemployment rates in the country, yet noone wants to talk about the problem, is this due to TT no negitive media policy?

I think you will find that the same peoples names are cropping up again and again is because they have an interest in developing Tramore on many fronts. It could very well be that they have vested interests for example, they might run a business that may benefit from any given project, well that can not be a bad thing because somewhere along the line it will benefit someones family in Tramore by generating a job perhpas that will in turn generate income that may be spent in Tramore. That surely can't be a bad thing.

As for Tramore Tourism and Community Facilities, is that not like suggesting that the Depratment of Health should get involved with issues concerning the Department of Transport? 2 completely seperate entities with seperate briefs.

Now in my opinion, issues such as the one you have mentioned, the Childcare facility on the Branch Road, and if I could add my own, the Gael Scoil now in its 28th year waiting for a permanent school building are issues that should be brought to our local representatives and TD's. We should get off our own arses and speak up, we have a vote and its important we use it. Voter turnout is dismaly poor in recent elections but yet we then complain when we don't like what the current administration is doing. I include myself in that comment too by the way (although I did vote for Fine Gael in the last election :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

All fair enough, I just thought you might have had something to do with it.
    what makes me chuckle is the no bad media policy of TT, is this why noone wants to talk about the poverty, hunger, heroin and housing problem in this town??
    Those are all social problems which have nothing to do with TT, and it would be inappropriate for them to comment on stuff they don't have knowledge and expertise of. I think their 'no bad media' policy is fine. I think their policy is more to do with things like, say if TT is concerned that a part of the beach is dirty, they won't go to the media criticising the Council and thereby advertise a negative thing to potential visitors. I'd accept though that the social issues you mention need to be talked about.
    the people of this town are failing and the place on the branch road, the meeting place its called was providing help and support to people that realy need it and now heres another service being removed but all the councillers are too busy to care because of a pillar with a lump of metal on it. take care of people first, then metal.
    I think it's unfair to blame that on the Metal Man project, and it's only a few councillors who have opposed the project and created this whole furor when there should have been none. But you are right that stuff like the Meeting Place needs councillors and other people to fight for it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Don't feed the troll tbh.

trust me, this is far from trolling, this is opening a debate, thought you'd be up for a good debate sully, no?!
    i do not blame the metalman project for the failures of the town but it is detracting from the real issues in the town. why are the councillers not up in arms about the gealscoil and the meeting place, why is the people of the town not? why are community resources not at the forefront of the main issues?
    social issues should be of concern to TT, do people realy want to visit a place with such social issues like unemployment(statistics), poverty (visable and invisable), drug abuse (visit tramore house to view used needles ect), paedophiles living in around the holiday accomidation area (was informed by a reputable source), lack of community facilitys for young people (just have a look around or outside tesco), lack of a cohesive community but then again if we just dont talk about it they wont know about it. however if we just dont talk about it nothing will get done and it will only get worse for the town of tramore.

trust me, this is far from trolling, this is opening a debate, thought you'd be up for a good debate sully, no?!
    i do not blame the metalman project for the failures of the town but it is detracting from the real issues in the town. why are the councillers not up in arms about the gealscoil and the meeting place, why is the people of the town not? why are community resources not at the forefront of the main issues?
    social issues should be of concern to TT, do people realy want to visit a place with such social issues like unemployment(statistics), poverty (visable and invisable), drug abuse (visit tramore house to view used needles ect), paedophiles living in around the holiday accomidation area (was informed by a reputable source), lack of community facilitys for young people (just have a look around or outside tesco), lack of a cohesive community but then again if we just dont talk about it they wont know about it. however if we just dont talk about it nothing will get done and it will only get worse for the town of tramore.

I think your trolling because your refusing to accept that the tourism bodies job is only that (though Tramore Tourism does veer into other areas the council should be working on) - promoting tourism in the town. They feel the trail and Metal Man is important for local tourism and will be asking the council to give them the nod. Tramore relies on tourism. Its the life blood for the town. It always was, well before you and I were born.

Yes the town has other issues that the council / government should be focusing on but you can't expect other important areas of the town to be neglected or ignored. Tramore Tourism should not be offering to take over these issues from the state, because its not their responsibility. Nor is it any other tourism group that is present, locally or nationally.

If you feel so strongly about these issues - create your own body that will campaign and seek to highlight and fund the problems you see. There is nothing stopping you from doing that but don't expect other important areas of the town to be ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭tbayers

BlankAs, have you publicly stated who you actually are yet?? You question the amount of directors on all these different boards, yet why isn't your name on them?? Its not as easy as turning up and becoming a director, you must put your time in. And before you ask, I have stated on these forums what my real name is!
    however if we just dont talk about it nothing will get done and it will only get worse for the town of tramore.
    This is very ironic, you seem to be doing all the talking and no actions. If im wrong then publicly state your name so we can all see the amazing work you do in the community.

Tramore Tourism is probably one of the best organisations in the country. Sully is dead right, tourism is a huge, if not the biggest factor in the economy of Tramore.

You also said that councillors should worry less about a piece of metal than on the state of Tramore itself. Its projects like the metal man that will have a positive impact on the future of Tramore. A fully operational heritage trail will be huge, not only to visitors of Tramore but to the residents of Tramore. Now the "community" will have somewhere to enjoy a nice relaxing stroll on a purpose built trail.

• Advertisement

well isnt that just what the people need, another place for a nice relaxing stroll!!
    yes the councillers should be focusing on the people rather than metal. Having heard more about the meeting place why are they not jumping up and down over this? your a funny boy tho, put time into being a director!! realy seriously have a look at the people on various organisations and ask them how much work they are realy doing for these organisations. i appreciate that some of them named do Trojan work and are fantastic community leaders and for that i am thankful they are here but others just put their name to something just too look good.

due to my involvement with various organisations and my employment i can not state my name as i dont want to be seen representing any organisation with my views. i do identify myself a meetings, publicly etc but on this site i wont be as i think it should be used for debate of issues affecting the place in a more public fourm but with out the fear of reprisals. we all know what tramore is like, say one wrong thing and the place is up in arms, the torch holding villagers will get ya! and please tell me how you know my name is not on one or two of those lists of directors flying around the place?? or is it TT is out to get me over my negitive portrayal of tramore and telling people of all is not well in tramore??!

As for TT being involved in community facilitys i believe that they should, just as the dept of health be involved in the dept of transport then perhaps we might have a more efficent and effective country. fyi its called intergrated planning or collective planing. the state of the community will have impacts upon tourism as people do not want to visit a failing unharmonious community. if the community is provided for then people will want to visit and stay but if the community is ignored it will shine through once they come here.
    are you in fact serious about setting up another group?! what should i call it, the popular front of tramore, tramore popular peoples front....... thats exactly what we need is yet another group in the town. i am involved in various organisations and so see the ridiculous of tramore through my workings with these organisations and the ridiculousness of having so many different organisations with no-one working together on issues that affect them all.m

How can TT be out to get you if nobody knows who you are?

Look at the end of the day this is a debating forum, I have nothing against you as a person, just maybe what you believe in. I think you are trying to lead people to believe that Tramore is like a third world town. Yes it has its problems but the streets arent being over run by drug lords and the children of Tramore arent falling by the way side. BUT, I am sure there are a few unique cases, and thats all. My reason for saying this, I live in Tramore and involved in a few children organisations.
    well isnt that just what the people need, another place for a nice relaxing stroll!!

Well you seem to be against anything positive for Tramore lately, the Flowrider and now this?

Mod Note:

Can we keep the issue of the Metal Man to the other thread, rather than splitting it over two threads, thanks.

Also I am beginning to think this conversation has gone as far as it can go. Blaming existing community groups for not addressing social issues isn't how society works - that's not and nor should it be their responsibility. Its not how the world or our country operates, and nor can it. Leave Discover Tramore, Tramore Tourism, Failte Ireland etc. work on promoting Tramore - that's their job, and that's all they should be doing. Tourism is the lifeblood of Tramore, without it the town would struggle and you would see many businesses close. The town isn't in the state your describing either.

So, I am going to insist that we step back from the direction this thread has gone and deal with facts and reality. Blaming any of the above named groups for other issues is an irrelevant point and that's that. The council can work on the matter, as can the government state bodies. Blame them, write to them or setup your own dedicated group to deal with the issues you feel are important and you can focus just on that while other groups focus on what they were setup to do.

Its as simple as that so lets leave it like that.

Thanks.

1 does the town provide adequatly for you to lead a fun fulfilling life?
    2 is there one community or a gathering of many community's with little links?
    3 what would you like to see in tramore? services, facilitys?
    4 where in tramore is the biggest eyesore?
    5 where is the shining light in the town?
    6 what do you think is the biggest social problem in the town?
    7 where is the biggest social problem?
    8 what would you like to see happen in the town?
    9 do you benefit from tourism? directly, indirectly?
    1. Yes
    2. Yes
    3. More money spent on the beach area, our best resource.
    4. The present day park, delighted its getting re hashed!
    5. The people
    6. Not enough pubs = not enough choice!
    7. ...
    8. Flowrider boi
    9. Yes, everybody does, no tourism, no money equals more rates for your average Joe, so we indirectly benefit from it.

Do these answers help?

Advertisement