Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reclaiming Tax

Options
  • 15-05-2012 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Is it possible to reclaim tax before the end of the financial year if you leave the country? For example if i took a trip to Bali, I'm currently in Perth, for a week can i claim my tax back and then return to the Australia?

I am here on my first year WHV fwiw. Thanks for any response.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Yes, but if you do claim you can no longer work, you fill out a 2011 form, at the top cross off the 2011, use a 'apply early' cover form and hey presto it's done

http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/content.aspx?doc=/content/14747.htm
    We accept early lodgment of tax returns for individuals before the end of the income year only in certain circumstances. We will accept your tax return before the end of the income year if you are:

a foreign resident for tax purposes and you
    are leaving Australia permanently
    will no longer derive Australian-sourced income (other than interest, dividend and royalty income)

or

an Australian resident for tax purposes and you
    are leaving Australia
    are ceasing to be an Australian resident for tax purposes
    will no longer derive Australian-sourced income (other than interest, dividend and royalty income).

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭jamiecoins

sorry to hijack do you have to claim every year or can you claim after 2 years work whv+1 so 2 years tax then leave to go home for good:(
    is there taxt year in june
    basically ill be there in november so if i start working do i have to lodge a return say for example in june the next year. then work again hopefully get a 2nd visa and claim in june the next year then claim a few months again later before i leave in november 2 years from arriving

jamiecoins wrote: »
    sorry to hijack do you have to claim every year or can you claim after 2 years work whv+1 so 2 years tax then leave to go home for good:(
    is there taxt year in june
    basically ill be there in november so if i start working do i have to lodge a return say for example in june the next year. then work again hopefully get a 2nd visa and claim in june the next year then claim a few months again later before i leave in november 2 years from arriving

Every worker in Australia needs to submit a tax return per year

• Registered Users Posts: 39,342 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

hussey wrote: »
    Every worker in Australia needs to submit a tax return per year
    Which means arriving in November, you'll have to do 3 tax returns over a 2 years on a WHV.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 chrispym

Hi i started work yesterday does this mean that ill have to lodge a tax return at the end of the month haha??

• Advertisement

chrispym wrote: »
    Hi i started work yesterday does this mean that ill have to lodge a tax return at the end of the month haha??
    It does

• Registered Users Posts: 9 jred23

Hey,

I was just wondering can anyone recommend a an accountant/agency in Sydney with reasonable fees to help with my tax return?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭NoelAPM

I think H&R Block are Australia wide....

You can do it with them online for 50 Bucks, the website will guide ya through and ask you all the appropriate questions, and they'll look over it before its sent off.

Or if your return is gonna be a complicated 1 you can go into them, which is $100 i think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

I submitted expenses to my company for tools I bought and they paid me back. Presuming they will put them down as tax deductibles does this mean I will not be able to put the original copies i have down as deductibles for myself?

Advertisement