Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to cope with redundancy when you're older

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,043 ✭✭✭✭tk123

"Other people can create a lot of barriers; amateur career guidance counsellors telling you what you should and shouldn't do and trapping you in your previous job title. You need to respect your own gut instinct. It is a journey inward for personal awareness and then a journey outward, which is about market awareness."

^ THIS!! I'm in week 2 of redundancy and finding that there's this pressure from people eg get made redundant on a friday and be sitting at your new desk on monday.

Redundancy is tougher than you think when you're employed - well it was for me - it really hit me out of the blue tbh. I wasn't expecting to be happy/sad/relieved and stressed out all at the same time. I'm doing some courses online atm to upskill a bit and also trying to look back and see what i enjoyed about my old role to help decide what path to take. I was expecting redundancy for a year and half - it was always hanging over me and impacted a lot of decisions I was making so I saved my a$$ off just in case - thank god!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Bullrush

I had considered going back into education at nights or something just in case I lost my job - but I decided against it for a variety of reasons. Think I'll look at moving sideways from where I'm at at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

after my second redundancy in 5 years Im back at college retraining in a new field.

Advertisement