Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grant/assistance for postgrad?

Options
  • 15-05-2012 12:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

Anybody know if I would be eligible for a grant or any assistance with a Masters?- anything I have read seems to say it would be unlikely I would get anything but just thought i'd check here anyway for any advice.
    I'm 24 , unemployed , graduated in 2010(level 8), independent from parents. Everyone I contact says something different. My boyfriend is working and we have one child. The course is a level 9 (MSc), 2 days per week, 1 year.

Any help appreciated!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Anybody know if I would be eligible for a grant or any assistance with a Masters?- anything I have read seems to say it would be unlikely I would get anything but just thought i'd check here anyway for any advice.
    I'm 24 , unemployed , graduated in 2010(level 8), independent from parents. Everyone I contact says something different. My boyfriend is working and we have one child. The course is a level 9 (MSc), 2 days per week, 1 year.

Any help appreciated!!
    There are no maintenance grants for postgrad courses. There are fee grants but I don't think you would be eligible because A it is part time and B there is a 3 year rule where you can't be assessed independently of your parents unless it is 3 years since you graduated. If it is a full time course you might be eligibility for a fee grant but may have to be assessed on your parents income.

If your boyfriend is working you could claim taxback on the masters fees through him ie - you give him the money, he pays the fees and gets a receipt, he applies to revenue for a tax refund

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 pearliewhite

Thanks for your help! was thinking that was the case but just wanted to double check.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

What is the income level you've to be in to be to get the fee grant?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

DEmeant0r wrote: »
    What is the income level you've to be in to be to get the fee grant?
    they haven't given income levels yet

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement