Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car Rental

Options
  • 15-05-2012 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hi all

I am looking to rent a car for a couple of days (in Ireland) in a few weeks time. Just wondering if anyone can recommend a company. I've had a look at a few companies online but most seem to have many hidden costs.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭evostik

I always use http://www.arguscarhire.com/

They search the net for the best deals on offer.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭WetDaddy

evostik wrote: »
    I always use http://www.arguscarhire.com/

They search the net for the best deals on offer.:)

I wouldn't - they're a broker. And I don't fancy the company themselves much either.

OP, you're better off going directly to a car hire company. Tons at the airport if you're flying in, but there are additional airport charges. Otherwise, in the City Centre you have Dollar Thrifty & Europcar.

Hidden costs are really only there if you don't read the terms & conditions carefully enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

I found entreprise.ie great value if you pick the car up at a depot.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Harpic

whatever you do,do not go near Budget Car Rental;a nightmare company

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Italiancheese

I often use autoeurope.ie and their quotes are always excellent!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

great island rentals if you're in Cork. Good crowd to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭gernon

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Dazzy

In the past I have rented a lot of cars in Ireland and abroad and I have found Arguscarhire.com to be about the best. They are a broker (as a poster pointed out above) but I see this as an advantage as it saves you the hassle of trying lots of different places/sites.

However, the terms and conditions of rental for each car can be different depending on the car hire company they are quoting from. You should watch out for the extra charges for additional drivers, booster/baby seats, excess that needs to be approved on your credit card up front, and the fuel policy. Also most only take credit cards and not Laser. Some have a fuel policy which means you have to bring the car back empty which I think is a bit of a con as you may not use a full tank but end up paying for a full tank up front (only had this in Portugal so far).

Advertisement