Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

‘Undernourished’ child collapses in Cork

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

There should be school meals. The money should come from the Childrens Allowance budget. That way the same amount of money would be spent on children but at least it would go where it should. One school in Northside dublin had a dramatic improvement in behaviour and educational standards after introducing a school breakfast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Stark wrote: »
    TV license obviously, have you not seen the ads!?

Perhaps she didn't want to go to jail so she paid her TV licence.
    Saturday, January 21, 2012
    MORE people than ever before are being jailed for the non-payment of court fines relating to TV licences.
    Between March and December last, 132 people received jail sentences.

Read more: http://www.irishexaminer.com/news/surge-in-jail-terms-linked-to-tv-licences-180932.html#ixzz1uwjHZIr6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

which one would you put before your child eating?

Do you mind me asking what your accommodation circumstances are?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

I'd normally be dead set against the dole-bashing brigade, but it's funny how contact with the kids in this situation makes you go very 'right wing' (I'd prefer to say 'interventionist) on this issue.

In the case of one kid I've worked with, his mum was pulling in between €25k and €30k in SW benefits (it's complicated circumstances, there's one payment I'm not 100% sure she's still getting). She has serious addiction problems, and he still didn't get breakfast, or regular dinner as far as we can tell. The school sorts out lunch. Still, one of his classmates eats out of the bin - teachers have told the kids not to laugh at him.

I don't think it's a radically right wing thing to say that giving an addict 30k a year to put up their nose ain't the smartest approach to social policy.

SW payments are generous in this country, and rightly so because the cost of living is so high. But there's no control about where the money goes, and precious little appetite for social services to intervene in cases of negligence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

johnr1 wrote: »
    Subjective matter of opinion ^^^^ but they are enough to provide food on.

You're just as bad with your automatic blanket defense of welfare recipients as the people who come on here and suggest that the dole should be cut off.

I've lived and fed myself and driven to work every day for extended periods on about half the standard welfare allowance. I'm a grown man, and in a physical job, I could feed myself very well from Lidl and Aldi on 25 to 35 euro per week.

Don't try to defend the indefensible, it just devalues your good posts.
    I'm hardly "just as bad" as those people who decide the mother didn't give a toss about her kid because they enjoy doing so. And I'm not blanket-defending anyone, just disputing that benefits are "more than enough" or generous. They're enough to get by on just about - for a person on their own, let alone a person with at least one child.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

perhaps in cases like this the social should be allowed to give out emergency food aid packages to families struggling to feed their kids.

no extra money but rather a hamper of food with the basics given out 2 times a month,

potatoes - rice - carrots - parsnips - cabbage - brocholli
    breakfast cereals - breads - tinned foods such as peas, beans,
    fruits such as bananas, apples, oranges, tomatoes,
    dried foods such as soups, pasta,
    dairy such as milk, cheese, & butter,
    and a basic meat package, consisting of chicken, pork chops, & minced beef.

the brands of food would be supermarket own brand and not the named brands.

this way the parent's cannot buy drugs or drink cos no food stamps would be needed or extra money given.

the svp or samaritans could be put in charge of distribution of these food hampers.

a means test would need to be done to assess who gets these food packages by the CWO

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

stovelid wrote: »
    Do you mind me asking what your accommodation circumstances are?

once you tell me why, go right ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Sorry - but other bills do come into it. Housing cost have to be met or you are homeless. Utility costs have to be met or you have no heat or means of cooking that broccoli. Clothes have to be bought and washed and with children replaced when they have outgrown them or just ripped them while playing.

If you can't afford your mortgage, the state will pay the interest portion. Negotiate with your bank and they will accept this as long as you're not taking the p*ss.
    If you can't afford heating wear a second jumper or use extra blankets to keep warm.
    Childrens clothes can be bought cheap enough if you look around. You're not going to be buying a new wardrobe full of clothes every week. When you need to wash them wash by hand if you need to save money on the electricity.

None of these should come before feeding your child.
    My 5 year old grandaughter and 3 year old grandson stay with me every second weekend - and they eat !!!

Last Saturday alone my (far from overweight) grandaughter started off with a yoghurt drink and cheese at 7:30 a.m. She had a bowl of cereal at 8:30 followed by an orange. At 10 a.m she had a bowl of porridge followed by an apple. At 12 noon she had a ham sandwich and some strawberries. At 2 p.m she had another yoghurt drink and more cheese. At 3 pm she had another apple. At 5 pm she had some raw carrot. At 6 pm she sat down to a dinner of roast chicken, mashed spuds, potato croquettes, Yorkshire pud, carrots and broccoli - she had seconds of chicken, broccoli, carrots and a croquette and 2 glasses of apple juice. At 7:30 after her bath she had home-made Ice cream and strawberries.

Grandson had similar but the little ****e won't eat bread so he had ham at 12 noon and the dogs had bread. He also didn't get the 7:30 yoghurt and cheese as he is not a morning person.

That was one day's food for two healthy, active, small children who had spent the day playing in the garden.

I'm sorry, but your healthy grandchilden may not be overweight but are most definately eating too much.

Perhaps she didn't want to go to jail so she paid her TV licence.

Read more: http://www.irishexaminer.com/news/surge-in-jail-terms-linked-to-tv-licences-180932.html#ixzz1uwjHZIr6

tv is a luxury not a necessity ;)

perhaps in cases like this the social should be allowed to give out emergency food aid packages to families struggling to feed their kids.

no extra money but rather a hamper of food with the basics given out 2 times a month,

this way the parent's cannot buy drugs or drink cos no food stamps would be needed or extra money given.

the svp or samaritans could be put in charge of distribution of these food hampers.

a means test would need to be done to assess who gets these food packages by the CWO

This would be good to see but, in many cases, an addict would just sell this stuff on.

Let's face it - we need to clamp down on negligent parenting before anything really changes.

I'm sorry, but your healthy grandchilden may not be overweight but are most definately eating too much.

All due respect but that's a daft assumption. Different kids have different metabolisms and different patterns of exercise. They could be just going through a growth spurt, or they could just be active kids!

• Advertisement

geeky wrote: »
    This would be good to see but, in many cases, an addict would just sell this stuff on.

Let's face it - we need to clamp down on negligent parenting before anything really changes.

perhaps adding a stipulation to that hamper deal.... manditory drug tests for the parents would help clamp down on that being abused

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

black market boom while scummy recipients sell hampers to buy drugs. sorry, but im still not convinced that there are people out there who can't get by to the extent that their children go hungry. in 95% or cases it's either parent/s have mental health issues or they're scum.

this is not the dickensian london - a welfare state is just that. we ensure enough is provided so people can at least live. if the recipient abuses it, it's normally their own fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Sadly some parents would simply sell the hampers and buy what they wanted (drugs or booze or whatever).

There needs to be more support for at risk kids and serious steps taken to deal with parents who put their children at risk before something like this would work.

It is a great idea though as not only do you help the children but you ensure a decent diet also.

All due respect but that's a daft assumption. Different kids have different metabolisms and different patterns of exercise. They could be just going through a growth spurt, or they could just be active kids!

have you seen how much food he gave the kids?

i have nieces and a nephew.... they are not malnurished by any means but they eat half what he gave his grandkids. they have 3 breakfasts for christ sake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

More bloody scroungers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,582 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Dudess wrote: »
    I'm hardly "just as bad" as those people who decide the mother didn't give a toss about her kid because they enjoy doing so..

Assumptions assumptions. I don't think anyone here is criticising the mother "because they enjoy doing so". It's simple fact that it is impossible NOT to adequately feed a child on social welfare (even just the standard benefits, not including CWO, SVP etc) unless a large portion of that money has been used for purposes which it is not meant for, or another issue. Lack of money is not an issue. BTW I have two small kids so am very familiar with the costs involved in looking after them.

i have nieces and a nephew.... they are not malnurished by any means but they eat half what he gave his grandkids.

You're making an assumption based on your own experience. Every kid is different and, unless you live with your nieces and nephew, you don't have a real picture of what they eat on a day to day basis.
    Sadly some parents would simply sell the hampers and buy what they wanted (drugs or booze or whatever).

There needs to be more support for at risk kids and serious steps taken to deal with parents who put their children at risk before something like this would work.

It is a great idea though as not only do you help the children but you ensure a decent diet also.

If only. Funnily enough, one of the biggest barriers to intervention like this is the constitutional protection given to the family. The sooner this is done away with, the sooner we'll get a proper response to negligence.

You're making an assumption based on your own experience. Every kid is different and, unless you live with your nieces and nephew, you don't have a real picture of what they eat on a day to day basis.

but do you give your kids 3 breakfasts before 10am?

most kids need 3 to 4 meals a day not 3 -4 meals every 3 hours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,945 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

which one would you put before your child eating?

I dont have kids so never had to make that choice, I'm just highlighting the reality people are faced with everyday just because they tried to work and buy their own home instead of taking welfare their whole lives and are now getting well and truly screwed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

i have nieces and a nephew.... they are not malnurished by any means but they eat half what he gave his grandkids. they have 3 breakfasts for christ sake

In fairness you have only seen how often the kids eat and what they eat, you have no idea (and neither do I) of the portion size.

A mate of mine feeds his son roughly every 2 hours, small portions. From what I can tell the child has less cravings and demands for sugar foods and crap foods, better energy than his friends and seems to have a much better attention span.

As far as i know a new born baby will be nursed 8 to 12 times a day (if breastfed) for the first month in order to support it's rate of growth and because the child will more easily digest breast milk than formula.

An active child, eating good healthy food in small portions, would need to be fed more often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,945 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

If you can't afford your mortgage, the state will pay the interest portion. Negotiate with your bank and they will accept this as long as you're not taking the p*ss.
    If you can't afford heating wear a second jumper or use extra blankets to keep warm.
    Childrens clothes can be bought cheap enough if you look around. You're not going to be buying a new wardrobe full of clothes every week. When you need to wash them wash by hand if you need to save money on the electricity.

None of these should come before feeding your child.

Your wrong the state will pay a portion of the interest but as i found out if you "earn 178" euro on the dole you are classed as earning "too" much to qualify for interest relief.

You also have to renegotiate your repayments, which many banks are unwilling to do and this only lasts for a max of 3 years. 4 years into a recession a lot of families are already beyond this point.

Having the heating off in a house with kids is extremely dangerous that can lead to all sorts of issues, with growth, pneumonia, hypothermia, and other long term breathing problems.

Plus then when you get enough to have the power put back on they can charge a 150 euro re-connection fee.

Excuse me???? May I ask how many children you have or your qualifications in nutrition that you can make this judgement call?

No - they are not eating too much. They are eating a healthy, balanced diet that ensures they are getting all of the nutrients needed by active, growing children. They PLAY- on Saturday they played outside all day. They built a camp, they did some gardening of the mud pie varity, they kicked/threw a ball around, they rode their bikes, they tried to kill each other, they chased the dogs, they came on a long walk with the dogs, one got stuck up a tree, the other used my windchimes as a swing, they drew on my walls and paths with chalk.
    All of these things ensured they burned calories at a rate of knots.

They are growing - this needs to be fuelled. They NEED calcium, carbs - complex and simple, proteins, amino-acids, iron, a whole range of vitamins.
    All of the food they get from me to made from scratch - even the ice cream. No processed food, no oven chips or 'ding' food, no take-aways. They 'help' me cook and are learning about nutrition.

They fall into bed at night - tired from playing, warm, washed, and above all not hungry. That is they way it should be for all children.

Edit to enquire: When exactly did a raw carrot or an apple become classified as a 'meal'?

Your wrong the state will pay a portion of the interest but as i found out if you "earn 178" euro on the dole you are classed as earning "too" much to qualify for interest relief.

You also have to renegotiate your repayments, which many banks are unwilling to do and this only lasts for a max of 3 years. 4 years into a recession a lot of families are already beyond this point.

Having the heating off in a house with kids is extremely dangerous that can lead to all sorts of issues, with growth, pneumonia, hypothermia, and other long term breathing problems.

Plus then when you get enough to have the power put back on they can charge a 150 euro re-connection fee.

if you have your electricty switched to a prepay meter.... no more reconnection fees they give you a top up card which u take to the shop and load credit onto it... then you take that card and insert it into the meter at your home and it transfer's the credit.... if you get your electricity from bord gas you can also load credit for the gas heating.

my friend has it done that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

If a child is eating too much they will be overweight.

You can't eat too much and maintain a healthy weight (nor lose weight).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭branbee

Tbh there are plenty of supports out there for people who are in desperate need of food. Many people may feel above going to them out of pride or whatever else but i know that when it comes to your child suffering any pride will go out the window. And as the article says she was on welfare so its not like she is unaware of the supports available or 'above' help. All she had to do was ask. There must be something amiss here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

To put this in some perspective - Senator Deirdre Clune, also from Cork, claimed 814.58 a week in unvouched expenses alone just for March 2012 - if she keeps that up for every week it adds up to 42,358.29 a year. Perhaps should we check her bins for fags boxes and booze?http://www.oireachtas.ie/documents/members/psa/psas201203.pdf

Was she starving too?

She could have brought the child to the doctor on the medical card?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

juan.kerr wrote: »
    More bloody scroungers
    Superb, balanced and painfully-thought-out contribution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Born to Die

juan.kerr wrote: »
    More bloody scroungers

Proving my point about this place.

300% increase in people needing 5c dinners

28/09/11

AN ORGANISATION OFFERING dinners for 5 cent in Cork has seen a three-fold increase in people seeking its hot meals.
    Cork Penny Dinners was founded by the city’s Quakers in the 1850s, offering hot dinners for 1 penny during the time of the Famine...
    Around 2,500 people are fed there every month, which includes 120 people on Saturdays and 130 people on Sundays...
    'But we are more and more getting middle class well-dressed people who have run their own business. Their business has gone to the wall, possibly because they didn’t get paid, but we don’t ask them why.'

There is a poverty problem in this country - like it or not - people in Ireland are going hungry. We can bury our heads in the sand, we can bitch and moan about dole scroungers, we can pass judgement and sneer but the fact remains - there are men, women and children in Ireland - right NOW- who do not have enough food to eat and those people come from all sections of society.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

When i was out of work i sometimes had to survive on 3 euro a week! So your budget is blown before the first line and all i have to eat all week is raw broccoli and carrots.

I often had to have weetabix for breakfast, lunch and dinner thats the reality most on here lucky enough to be in work or still sponging at home don't seem to realize.
    lucky enough to be in work
    lucky enough to be in
    lucky enough to be
    lucky enough
    Lucky

:confused:

Luck, my friend is finding a tenner on the street. That is luck.

Luck is not constantly improving yourself, staying ahead of the curve and giving everything every single day.

I don't know where you think these 'lucky' people got their 'lucky' jobs. It sure as hell wasn't in that climate out there.

Luck. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Wantobe

LOL. I read that post and I thought, wow, how nice to see grandparents giving their grandchildren such a healthy diet ( maybe apart from the yoghurt drinks which I guess are a treat).

I have two children and they eat all around them. I have, genuinely, no idea how someone on social welfare manages. Our food bills are massive and I genuinely do cook most meals from scratch - we're really not a ready meal family.

Still though, I'd imagine most parents, even those struggling on social welfare, put their childs health before any other bill so I think there must be something amiss there.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭forfuxsake

Wantobe wrote: »
    LOL. I read that post and I thought, wow, how nice to see grandparents giving their grandchildren such a healthy diet ( maybe apart from the yoghurt drinks which I guess are a treat).

I have two children and they eat all around them. I have, genuinely, no idea how someone on social welfare manages. Our food bills are massive and I genuinely do cook most meals from scratch - we're really not a ready meal family.

Still though, I'd imagine most parents, even those struggling on social welfare, put their childs health before any other bill so I think there must be something amiss there.

I agree, many of my friends who are out of work spend a sizeable portion of their income paying down debt, keeping a roof over their heads. Many of them are skipping meals or substituting them for bean on toast. But the kids always eat first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

people in Ireland are going hungry.

People would go hungry if we didn't have welfare, charity, family/community.

Seriously, we're not living in sub-Saharan Africa here. We probably have greater issues with obesity than we do with hunger.

I'm not denying that people are struggling and that there's poverty but there really is no good reason for a child (other than neglect) to go hungry in a modern western European nation with welfare and charity.

The 'yoghurt drinks' are in tubes - they're called Tube it (from Aldi) and have a whole 40g of yoghurt in them (about 4 teaspoons worth) ;) - granddaughter is reluctant to drink milk since she heard me call it 'cow juice' so this is a good way of getting calcium into her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Wantobe

The 'yoghurt drinks' are in tubes - they're called Tube it (from Aldi) and have a whole 40g of yoghurt in them (about 4 teaspoons worth) ;) - granddaughter is reluctant to drink milk since she heard me call it 'cow juice' so this is a good way of getting calcium into her.

You don't need to explain yourself to me, it's abundantly clear from your post that you care about what you give to your grandchildren and that they are getting good, healthy food from you. I know I said I cook most things from scratch, but homemade icecream? Nice work!:)

People would go hungry if we didn't have welfare, charity, family/community.

Seriously, we're not living in sub-Saharan Africa here. We probably have greater issues with obesity than we do with hunger.

I'm not denying that people are struggling and that there's poverty but there really is no good reason for a child (other than neglect) to go hungry in a modern western European nation with welfare and charity.

No - we are not living in sub-Sahara Africa. We are living in a country which pays our head of government more then the British PM and the US President - so why do we have children going hungry?

Charities cannot cope. Nor should they have to.

Obesity is caused by people eating foods with too much fat but not enough nutrients - many of these are the cheap, processed foods aimed at those on low incomes. One can be obese and still malnourished.

well is there any swans left in cork? i hear they make good eating ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

She should have been breastfeeding the child:pac:

You don't need to explain yourself to me, it's abundantly clear from your post that you care about what you give to your grandchildren and that they are getting good, healthy food from you. I know I said I cook most things from scratch, but homemade icecream? Nice work!:)

tbh I'm sorry I ever started with the icecream making. It's a royal pain in the hole but now the little darlings look out for the black flecks that ensure it's real vanilla :(.

We are living in a country which pays our head of government more then the British PM and the US President - so why do we have children going hungry?

Oh I'm with you on the disgusting privileges that some people and sections of society have.

Nevertheless, if a child is going hungry in Ireland then it is almost definitely because of neglect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

The only thing that matters is that your child has enough proper food for the week every other bill is secondary to this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭GASMANN

I'm still at a loss to see how someone can be starving in Ireland.

Aldi does 2kg of spuds for 39c or something for example.
    Even if you only have a few euros a month for grub, its still possible to cook a heap of a feed for buttons.

And do these people not have relatives or friends?
    If I had someone I knew starving, I'd gladly give them 39c for a bag of spuds.

EDIT: its now gone up to 65c for 2kg of spuds
    http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/product_range/product_range_21722.htm

In cork stores only, due to demand.

Oh I'm with you on the disgusting privileges that some people and sections of society have.

Nevertheless, if a child is going hungry in Ireland then it is almost definitely because of neglect.

And possibly it is in this case - but we just don't know. The article gave few details of this family's personal circumstances so until such time as some more facts emerge I am unwilling to pre-judge.

Why annoyed me was the automatic assumption by some posters that this child's mother blows her SW on booze and fags based on no evidence whatsoever.

Plus - we do have a growing poverty problem in this country - we need as a society to acknowledge that and determine the best way of dealing with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

well is there any swans left in cork? i hear they make good eating ;)

Think it was an Irish family

Why annoyed me was the automatic assumption by some posters that this child's mother blows her SW on booze and fags based on no evidence whatsoever.

I agree. I have a similar gripe with the councillor for trying to use it for political point-scoring.

Typical politician I guess.

I agree. I have a similar gripe with the councillor for trying to use it for political point-scoring.

Typical politician I guess.

Nasty politicians - we hates 'em precious.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭friendlylady

the only other excuse for having an under-nourished child in this country is mental health. Lets be clear here what we’re talking about – this article was about poverty and SW (as it mention that’s her income).

the article and the people quoted within set that tone. Someone is quoted as saying ‘she had an empty fridge and couldn’t afford to restock it till Thursday’. THIS is why the reaction in this thread is as it has been. There is NO excuse in this day and age for that.

SW payments are very generous – more than enough to feed your child and yourself. What would ‘her side of the story’ be, if she’s not a proper headbanger that is? it’s going to be ‘I put *insert whatever here* before my child’s wellbeing’ and that in my mind makes her scum, end of story, no matter what that *insert whsatever here is*...but my vote's on dutch gold and amber leaf.
    What a lovely person you are, so caring and tolerant, your mother must be so proud :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

severely undernourished is neglect no matter how you look at it. How come the teachers had not noticed it before this.
    I don't know the parents circumstances but there is no excuse for this tbh.
    Reading the mail today about Greece and a mother who had to give her children away because she could not afford to feed them is sad. Social welfare here is very high compared to Greece.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Mr.Biscuits

I was down the docklands last night and seen heaps of articulated lorries leaving here for the UK packed with Irish meats and vegetables and now this.

It's starting again!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

hondasam wrote: »
    severely undernourished is neglect no matter how you look at it. How come the teachers had not noticed it before this.
    I don't know the parents circumstances but there is no excuse for this tbh.
    Reading the mail today about Greece and a mother who had to give her children away because she could not afford to feed them is sad. Social welfare here is very high compared to Greece.

You'll upset our dole monkeys saying things like that.

Advertisement