Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

‘Undernourished’ child collapses in Cork

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

did the mother know how to cook, or how to run a home, we do not know,
    is she on free housing, medical card, and how much does a person with a child get on sw,
    also was there a father and other children living with this child

How do you reach that conclusion ? I have in the past come across children and adults that were malnourished and not from lack of food but that their diet was poor .
    The amount of judgement before the facts are known is just wow

Unless the kid has a medical complaint (so it isn't malnutrition) or was fed a diet exclusively of rabbit meat the issue isn't the balance in the diet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

goat2 wrote: »
    did the mother know how to cook, or how to run a home, we do not know,
    is she on free housing, medical card, and how much does a person with a child get on sw,
    also was there a father and other children living with this child

there is no such thing

Buttonftw wrote: »
    How do you reach that conclusion ? I have in the past come across children and adults that were malnourished and not from lack of food but that their diet was poor .
    The amount of judgement before the facts are known is just wow

Unless the kid has a medical complaint (so it isn't malnutrition) or was fed a diet exclusively of rabbit meat the issue isn't the balance in the diet.

As I said before none of us know why this happened conclusions have been made with very little facts .
    700,00 on the poverty line and vincents de Paul saying they are mainly being asked for food as stated in article may be more an indication of why this occurred than her just being a bad parent .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

A kid who has a good and responsible mother doesn't collapse due to malnourishment. Getting a kid to eat a vary and balanced diet is quite easy actually, probably explains why plenty of parents in Ireland are able to do it.

20% of kids are sent off to school without eating breakfast each day, or put to bed without a proper warm meal that evening. What would you have happen to rectify that? Or should we just worry and handwring over those that happen to physically succumb to the effects of undernourishment, and have their cases reported on by the media?

As I said before none of us know why this happened conclusions have been made with very little facts .
    700,00 on the poverty line and vincents de Paul saying they are mainly being asked for food as stated in article may be more an indication of why this occurred than her just being a bad parent .

IF it's a case of malnutrition then the parents was neglectful.

As for SVP I'll take their stats with a few barrels of salt. Figures like 1 in 5 kids skipping breakfast are meaningless, I'll bet they're more likely to be overweight and unlikely to be malnourished. While there are genuine hardship cases out there SVP has had to switch from food hampers to cash in a lot of cases because people won't accept food hampers. If they won't accept them they're not that hard-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

IF it's a case of malnutrition then the parents was neglectful.

As for SVP I'll take their stats with a few barrels of salt. Figures like 1 in 5 kids skipping breakfast are meaningless, I'll bet they're more likely to be overweight and unlikely to be malnourished. While there are genuine hardship cases out there SVP has had to switch from food hampers to cash in a lot of cases because people won't accept food hampers. If they won't accept them they're not that hard-up.

How are the figures you are dismissing "meaningless", yet you offer the part in bold as if it means something?

You don't spot the disconnect between the logic you are using and your statement?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

20% of kids are sent off to school without eating breakfast each day, or put to bed without a proper warm meal that evening. What would you have happen to rectify that? Or should we just worry and handwring over those that happen to physically succumb to the effects of undernourishment, and have their cases reported on by the media?

Very difficult to solve it really. However clearly it's shocking parenting so removing the kids might be best. It would be costly though and at this current time not financially viable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

To all those heartless people here who thinks the social welfare system in Ireland is so wonderfull I have this to say " karma is a b1tch"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

i know people who due to loans etc survive on less than standard dole... mother needs to be taken in for questioning and kid needs to be put in charge of financies, mother clearly isnt capable

I 100% agree. I am in full time employment, bursting my balls working, but by the time I factor in my mortgage, fuel costs to get to work, car costs etc (all unavoidable costs), I have less to live on than the dole but we never have to go hungry.

And I don't drink or smoke, or have Sky tv (unlike the dole fcuker across the road who is pissed half the time and the other half he is plonked in front of his tv watching sky sports).

It's not fcuking right :mad:

Back to topic, this child's parent/s are clearly to blame. Social welfare should be enough to feed his kid/s, clearly their money is going to "more important things" than feeding the kids.

• Advertisement

How are the figures you are dismissing "meaningless", yet you offer the part in bold as if it means something?

You don't spot the disconnect between the logic you are using and your statement?
    Using the 1 in 5 figure to imply that it's linked to malnutrition is disingenuous no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭IrishEyes19

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Sub Human- Are you serious?? :eek:

Right - That's it. I'm out of here. I cannot stomach that level of judgemental. self-righteous, crap by people who have no facts to go on.

+1 to the above.

Unbelievable responses from some people here who need to grow up. At the end of the day there's a little kid whose suffered and no one but the mother and school officials know whats going on!! Could be for any reason.

Anything to get a stupid joke or "dole rant" going. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭KamiKazeKitten

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    The problem is that there are too many people, who are really unsuited to take care of children, fornicating all over the place and bringing poor little mites into the world. And then the sprogs and their parents have too many dyslexic-looking role models in high places in our society, so they don't eat properly.:)

http://www.independent.ie/multimedia/dynamic/01046/Michelle-Mulherin1_1046864t.jpg

Sorry to interrupt that little rant you've got going there, but you do mean anorexic, right?

In this case: clear neglect, and I'm sure there's many more around the country. I'm sure the mother is struggling, but feeding the child should be her priority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

+1 to the above.

Unbelievable responses from some people here who need to grow up. At the end of the day there's a little kid whose suffered and no one but the mother and school officials know whats going on!! Could be for any reason.

Anything to get a stupid joke or "dole rant" going. :rolleyes:

You can be sure the ones doing the most judging have never been in the same situation themselves. If only they could walk a mile in someone else's shoes for a day....

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Gadfly Girl

In Reply to CJC999

The key word here is AFTER, a single parent has this to pay for everything, childcare too. The sad reality is Social Welfare payments are not enough to keep people above the poverty line. Many recently released reports support this awful fact. Single Parent are the least well off in society, poorer than OAPs, Disabled, Carers or the Unemployed.

There prejudice towards Single Parents in Ireland is shameful to say the least, and is perpetuated by propaganda from government who wish to conquer and divide the people, to stop themselves being held to account. All families are really struggling with the huge cost of childcare. Imagine trying to provide for your family totally alone. Even if this Single Parent did not have childcare expenses I believe it is entirely possile that a child be starving with no intentional neglect or foul play. I know of hundreds of Single Parents who are struggling to feed their children and go without meals themselves, particullarly on a Wednesday - they day before payment. I hope that none of those here so quick to judge and assume the worst of this poor childs parent, EVER have to walk a mile in their shoes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭sophia25

I am sickened by people here tonight. How do you run a household on 188 pw and feed a child? you can't and the longer it goes on the less resources people have in protecting their child from impact. Many lone parents talk about no dinner on Weds. for parent, but if you add longterm debt into equation, the child will pay price too.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Gadfly Girl

Food is far more important than heating or lights. If your heating gets cut off you can wrap yourself in blankets if it gets cold. If your food gets cut off you become the subject of an AH thread.

And 232 is plenty a week to buy food for two people and in fact there would be money left over.

Electricity shouldn't cost so much either if it's only two people, in my house there are 6 people living here, and with however many computers and TV's and other electronics and it's somewhere in the region of 40 euro a week. For two people, it should be far less.

There is a heating allowance for social welfare recipients in Winter, and it's generally not needed much in summer.

Without knowing the full details, I am gonna assume this is neglect, simply because there is NO excuse whatsoever to let a child go hungry, the mother has money from the state, the first thing she should do is ensure there is enough food to last the week.

Rachel Peavoy died in her home from hypothermia from having no heating, that's not long ago at all. She was a single parent. How long will it take the people of Ireland to recognise the inequalities and dreadful treatment of the least well off in this country.

Also I think your way off with your ESB estimate, and fuel supplement has been reduced this year, along with many other supports to people in this position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Typical - a child collapses because they were "severely undernourished" and out come the bash those on SW brigade with comments about fags and drink despite knowing nothing about the financial circumstances of this family.

The State pays a total of 64.80 a week for a child (universal payment of 140 pm CB given to every child in the State & 29.80 S.W. allowance) plus 188 p.w for their parent = 252.80- this has to cover all expenses, including paying 30 euro pw if they are in private rented accommodation or a similar amount if they are in LA housing.

So, A single parent with one child has 232.80 a week to fund all fuel costs (heating, cooking, lighting), PLUS food, PLUS clothes PLUS those little contributions towards our 'free' primary education which have to be paid - and heaven forbid poor children should have a toy or two. Yes- some people are struggling. Yes- we have children going hungry in this country. Yes - there are far too many people in this country who would prefer to judge those in trouble.

To put this in some perspective - Senator Deirdre Clune, also from Cork, claimed 814.58 a week in unvouched expenses alone just for March 2012 - if she keeps that up for every week it adds up to 42,358.29 a year. Perhaps should we check her bins for fags boxes and booze?http://www.oireachtas.ie/documents/members/psa/psas201203.pdf

Typical, someone always has to make the comparison with a TD's income. Well at least you didn't do the old- undernourished because we have to pay the bank debt.

To all those heartless people here who thinks the social welfare system in Ireland is so wonderfull I have this to say " karma is a b1tch"

Why, is Karma on the Dole too?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

token101 wrote: »
    Right wing?

It sounded as if the person I was quoting thought that I'm of the right wing - I was trying to explain that I'm not.
    Sure this was the Workers Party presenting this case? This is leftists hoping to incite an 'OMG this is happening because we are bailing out the banks and she had to pay her household charge' reaction.

Looks that way.
    But anyone with any cop on would know that this has nothing to do with any of that, it's just a story of bad parenting, one that's probably fairly common.

Probably, yes. That's the point I was making in my first post in this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

sophia25 wrote: »
    I am sickened by people here tonight. How do you run a household on 188 pw and feed a child? you can't and the longer it goes on the less resources people have in protecting their child from impact. Many lone parents talk about no dinner on Weds. for parent, but if you add longterm debt into equation, the child will pay price too.

Good thing they get extra money for their child then isn't it.

Getting a kid to eat a vary and balanced diet is quite easy actually

I guess if you let them starve first then it actually is...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

sophia25 wrote: »

188 + child benefit, maybe rent allowance, medical card etc. People do it all the time in Ireland, and debt is no excuse - feeding your family comes to the top of the list for priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

It's still neglect.

How is it neglect? How the fuck is it neglect, son?

Live on 200 euro or whatever the dole is, for a year. A full year.

Pay your rent/mortgage, purchase groceries, schoolbooks, internet, heat, light, leccie bills, and everything else in between.

Then come back with your "wise words".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Balmed Out wrote: »
    This is exactly way child benefit should be accessed via a card and only redeemable against child related items like food, clothing etc.

It's a case of social services or possibly education for some.
    Your suggestion just creates a black market for the trading/use of food stamps at a discounted price. A card wouldn't prevent it either.

• Advertisement

It's a case of social services or possibly education for some.
    Your suggestion just creates a black market for the trading/use of food stamps at a discounted price. A card wouldn't prevent it either.

It would stamp down on fraud, but. Just not on the type that use it to purchase alcohol/drugs/smokes instead of groceries. Desperate for booze, they would just flog their fifty euro worth of vouchers for a score, instead.

It would penalise the single ma, who enjoys a bottle of beer or two at the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

IrishAm wrote: »
    It would stamp down on fraud, but. Just not on the type that use it to purchase alcohol/drugs/smokes instead of groceries. Desperate for booze, they would just flog their fifty euro worth of vouchers for a score, instead.

It would penalise the single ma, who enjoys a bottle of beer or two at the weekend.

In what way would it stamp down on fraud?
    I don't see a bottle or two of beer at the weekend as an issue.

In what way would it stamp down on fraud?
    I don't see a bottle or two of beer at the weekend as an issue.

I dont either. I hope she could afford a six pack. :)

Child benefit is open to massive fraud, but to get into it, would be for a different thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

You can be sure the ones doing the most judging have never been in the same situation themselves. If only they could walk a mile in someone else's shoes for a day....

You're wrong there - I think a lot of people are struggling on similar money and that's why she's being judged so harshly. Poverty in Ireland does not mean hunger, you get your weekly payment and food comes before all the other bills. Stress, depression yes - not starvation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

Pay your rent/mortgage, purchase groceries, schoolbooks, internet, heat, light, leccie bills, and everything else in between.

yea great response , ok do you need it spelled out for you?

i know lots of single mothers and father who are on basic social welfare , they dont drink or smoke ( most of them ) , the get basic dole+money for each child + child benefit + subsided rent + free medical + back to school + heating allowance ( when needed ) + clothing allwance and the CWO for the little things that pop up during the year

not ONE of these peoples children are starving , in fact far from it ( little fat fu2kers :D )

so its not ONLY 200 a week , and even if it was 200 a week , your telling me that a sensible mother would pay everything else BEFORE feeding her children ??? rubbish

only a unfit parent would allow this to happen -
    this case has little if anything to do with her ability to afford food , does she not have the cop on to contact the SVDP ? , i have SEEN them deliver food , coal and cash to a mate of mine who is down on his luck , so why could she not ?

so in answer to the question " how is this neglect ? " well what else would you call it ?

now YOU jog on SON !! - and the cheek of your wise words comment ppffftt !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Yes, right up there with the must-haves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

As someone who has a child of a similar age I just wanted to comment how desperately sad this case is. I don't know the facts, but this child deserves more, no matter who is responsible.

And I realise it's of secondary importance to the child's health, but if he / she is going to school in that sort of condition, then it's safe to assume the education is getting affected as well (which is no reflection on the teachers or school).

Starting out in life and the odds are already stacked against the child. Terrible.

+1 prinz

Quote:
    Originally Posted by IrishAm viewpost.gif

in fact the only true necessity in the above listing is the groceries , with out food the rest are not much good to you

as for the rest, SW looks after them ( mostly ) , so irisham please point out to me how she cant afford to feed a child on roughly 280 per week ?

not saying is a princely ransom by any stretch of the imagination but it is enough to sustain nourishment - as i stated before out of all the people i know on SW not one has a starving child

something else is going on in this family and i don't think not receiving enough cash from SW is the issue - more likely it is not being spent as it should be

but without facts no one knows for sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Having lived on the dole for a year its not easy. I have two kids, I have a mortgage and maybe its easier if you are in local authority housing but there were weeks when it was a choice between food and paying a bill. I had to get hand outs from family and SVDP which was so humiliating. :(

As someone else says the wait to be processed by SW can be a long time...it was 4 months for me with no income, thats a long time to be relying on help and I was lucky to have friends who were so generous. Some don't have that.

Thankfully I'm back working now but its taken me a long time to clear the debts I ran up over that time. Its been a real eye opener.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

prinz wrote: »
    Yes, right up there with the must-haves.

He forgot Sky TV:pac:

eviltwin wrote: »
    Having lived on the dole for a year its not easy. I have two kids, I have a mortgage and maybe its easier if you are in local authority housing but there were weeks when it was a choice between food and paying a bill. I had to get hand outs from family and SVDP which was so humiliating. :(

As someone else says the wait to be processed by SW can be a long time...it was 4 months for me with no income, thats a long time to be relying on help and I was lucky to have friends who were so generous. Some don't have that.

Thankfully I'm back working now but its taken me a long time to clear the debts I ran up over that time. Its been a real eye opener.

well done you - yea its a real heart breaker to see a family in that situation , as i have said many of my mates are in awful situations , some in local authority housing and some with mortgages , all on SW , some getting help from SVDP , but none have starving kids
    judging from your post i take it none of your did starve either , so begs the question whats going on in this house

and in fairness its not just the mother , social workers - teachers - other family members

where is the social support net ? oh yea FF pissed away the cash for these services

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ikidyounot

Simple case of parental abuse presuming the mother is in payment of the dole or lone parents and childrens allowance. Mother should be imprisoned if she failed to feed her child if she is in reciept of these payments. Im a mother and if i was struggling i would sell the clothes off my back before my child would go hungry. I would beg steal and borrow- pride wouldnt come into it.
    Its about time the state started providing school dinners here like in England, instead off propping up the banks with taxpayers hard earned money. Provide proper services and school dinners for all the children in this country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

dj jarvis wrote: »
    well done you - yea its a real heart breaker to see a family in that situation , as i have said many of my mates are in awful situations , some in local authority housing and some with mortgages , all on SW , some getting help from SVDP , but none have starving kids
    judging from your post i take it none of your did starve either , so begs the question whats going on in this house

and in fairness its not just the mother , social workers - teachers - other family members

where is the social support net ? oh yea FF pissed away the cash for these services

No one starved but as I said I was lucky I had people to turn too. But even with that there were days I went without food so I could buy nappies or give my daughter money for something in school.

I never thought I would ever be in that position, I had a great job, a college degree, plenty of experience etc. I always thought if I was unlucky to lose a job something, anything would come up.

I don't know the situation in this case, maybe the parents were just neglecting the child who knows but its an easy argument to make. Maybe people don't want to accept that there are people living in real hardship out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭dejopadu

I'm still at a loss to see how someone can be starving in Ireland.

Aldi does 2kg of spuds for 39c or something for example.
    Even if you only have a few euros a month for grub, its still possible to cook a heap of a feed for buttons.

And do these people not have relatives or friends?
    If I had someone I knew starving, I'd gladly give them 39c for a bag of spuds.

EDIT: its now gone up to 65c for 2kg of spuds
    http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/product_range/product_range_21722.htm

stupid remark. u think everyone has a family? go back into your bubble.
    not everyone is lucky enough to have people they can trust & ask for help.

No one starved but as I said I was lucky I had people to turn too. But even with that there were days I went without food so I could buy nappies or give my daughter money for something in school.

I never thought I would ever be in that position, I had a great job, a college degree, plenty of experience etc. I always thought if I was unlucky to lose a job something, anything would come up.

I don't know the situation in this case, maybe the parents were just neglecting the child who knows but its an easy argument to make. Maybe people don't want to accept that there are people living in real hardship out there.

i agree with what you are saying , but from what i have read about this i does not match what is happening , you feed kids before everything else , including yourself , and again we dont know the full facts , but as it stands i would wager this have very little to do with the lack of cash

i would say lack of education and basic parenting in this case ( again just guessing from info supplied )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 132 ✭✭deisebibo

zara100 wrote: »
    have to agree its odd that the mother didnt collapse from hunger i would make sure my child was fed before myself if things were that bad

As previous posters have said, nobody knows the actual circumstances.

When my sister was younger, she collapsed while in town with her friends, an ambulance was called my mother and myself were called and the diagnosis at the hospital was malnourishment.

My mother was thoroughly mortified at this diagnosis. She is a single parent on SW, and we have plenty of food in our home. My sister on the other hand at the time was a very VERY picky eater and would only eat the plainest of foods in small amounts, dry bread, cereal, not much meat or dairy products, maybe some potato. It was not for the want of my mother trying to do all she could to encourage her to eat a variety of foods. Of course she was sent home with a prescription for a tonic, and things improved slowly from there on. My mother never got over the fact that she felt "labelled" as a bad mother, when in fact it was clearly not the case. We survived on SW due to my father deserting us, my mother went without many a time for her children, and I remember feeling so angry at that doctor (who was only doing his job also) at the way he spoke to her and made her feel. My mother (and myself) would be overweight, and this only made my mother feel worse "that doctor thinks I'm a fat b**** that eats all around me and doesn't feed my child".

I'm aware that in this case the cupboards were bare in that womans house, but as others have highlighted, we really don't know all the facts.

I don't think I'm your son.

My parents get by on the dole with a mortgage and 2 kids and no option of a 15 quid a week council house or rent allowance.

If she has a mortgage then it's still neglect, her first responsibility is feeding the kid, not having her name on the deeds of a house.

I know what the dole is, and while it's tough, it's manaegable for most people. How high should it go? I know plenty of people on the 188 with no rent allowance who get by, I know a lad on 144 with no R/A who gets by. It's tough but it can be done.

In your faux outrage you mention pay x, y, z, no. You feed your ****in kid. That's the first bloody thing you do.
    If she ****ed up financially, it's still neglect. You don't worry about schoolbooks, internet, everything comes after feeding your ****in kid. Well, that's how I would hope most people see it anyway.

This entire thread I'll just point out again is based on some lad playing politics and taking his word that it was full-on malnutrition that caused a kid to pass out. I'll take it with a pinch of salt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

I don't think I'm your son.

My parents get by on the dole with a mortgage and 2 kids and no option of a 15 quid a week council house or rent allowance.

If she has a mortgage then it's still neglect, her first responsibility is feeding the kid, not having her name on the deeds of a house.

I know what the dole is, and while it's tough, it's manaegable for most people. How high should it go? I know plenty of people on the 188 with no rent allowance who get by, I know a lad on 144 with no R/A who gets by. It's tough but it can be done.

In your faux outrage you mention pay x, y, z, no. You feed your ****in kid. That's the first bloody thing you do.
    If she ****ed up financially, it's still neglect. You don't worry about schoolbooks, internet, everything comes after feeding your ****in kid. Well, that's how I would hope most people see it anyway.

This entire thread I'll just point out again is based on some lad playing politics and taking his word that it was full-on malnutrition that caused a kid to pass out. I'll take it with a pinch of salt.

I don't think the problem is dole/lone parents payments is too low. The real problem is people having babies and not taking responsibility for them

Big difference there is the mortgage. Those are the people who are really struggling now. I don't see how the economy can be causing those on state payments long-term to be much worse off, they've had a single-digit percentage drop in income in 4 years while prices didn't increase.

micropig wrote: »
    I don't think the problem is dole/lone parents payments is too low. The real problem is people having babies and not taking responsibility for them

Seeing so many examples of that lately I agree with you, of course any discussion is "just scapegoating single mothers" or some other such crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

it took 8 months for my jsa claim to go through but during that time the CWO paid me the 188 a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

it took 8 months for my jsa claim to go through but during that time the CWO paid me the 188 a week.

The SW seem to really have improved in the waiting time lately. My fiance lost her job a couple of months ago, it literally took 2 days for the SW to sort out the claim, she called in to them on the Thursday, had a meeting on the Friday and left knowing her first payment would be there the following Wednesday.

Advertisement