Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

law degree where to emigrate in UK

• 15-05-2012 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

Hi.

Still debating whether to do fe1s or just head over to the UK. Just finished LLB. I'm a mature student.

I'm thinking of doing the LPC part time and working fulltime to support myself.

It's cheaper to live in the North of England but not sure whether there is an abundance of legal admin work to keep me going until I find a training contract.
    On the other hand London is mad expensive and LPC fees are much higher than the north.

Anyone any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Right 2B a liar

rbag wrote: »
    Hi.

Still debating whether to do fe1s or just head over to the UK. Just finished LLB. I'm a mature student.

I'm thinking of doing the LPC part time and working fulltime to support myself.

It's cheaper to live in the North of England but not sure whether there is an abundance of legal admin work to keep me going until I find a training contract.
    On the other hand London is mad expensive and LPC fees are much higher than the north.

Anyone any ideas?

Having just returned from England I would highly recommend qualifying in that jurisdiction. If I had not already done the FE1 before doing a LLM in the UK I would have stayed. There were lots of jobs on offer in top law firms, with great packages and prospects to travel with your job, but I only got exposure to them through my University. Things imo are picking up here especially with regards training contracts but you have you turn over every stone to find one, since you don't have the FE1 done I would looking into the UK. You may well have to do GDL as well as the LPC but must firms cover all the costs associated with these. It is more competitive there but if you have a good law degree you have as much a chance as any applicant and they are always looking for people from different backgrounds to add to their diversity.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭rbag

Thanks a mill.,

Can I ask where were you based over there?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Right 2B a liar

Warwick university it is in Coventry which is 1hr north of London and there were at least 25 law firms actively recruiting before xmas for places as soon as you graduated.

Great thanks. I'm not in a position to do an LLM but the plan is to go to London and and get legal admin work and complete lpc part time in the evenings. It's the only way I can afford it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

To give another view, a friend of mine took the UK route, he did the LPC was one of about 20 out of 80 (in the lpc) he knows to get training contract. Most of his friends in LPC course are still not working in legal field. It took him 12 months post qualification to get a ok job. While there are jobs in the city and in big firms they are very hard to get.

• Advertisement

What kind of LPC was it? Private client or corporate?

Advertisement