Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donadea Forest Duathlon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭rodriquez

i'm thinking of doing it, haven't done one before so was wondering if this would be a good course to try for a first timer?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

I'm interested in this too.

Is the bike session all on roads ie fit for a road bike or more suited to a mountain bike?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

The bike is on the roads judging by the Run Ireland link.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭paulanthony

I did this duathlon last year. It was quite good and the run was particularly enjoyable - moreso than the bike.

It's fine for a road bike. 90% of the cycle takes place on roads which go around the forest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

Anymore information on this event? I believe it's on 09/06, 07/07 & 18/08 this year. How far is the cycle? What terrain is the run on? Will the roads be closed to traffic? How suitable is it for a relative beginner?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Anymore information on this event? I believe it's on 09/06, 07/07 & 18/08 this year. How far is the cycle? What terrain is the run on? Will the roads be closed to traffic? How suitable is it for a relative beginner?

I have garmin files from 2010 that I'll post up later.

Run: long (5.5k I think) around the forest, mostly gravel but some trail.

Bike: one loop, all on roads. I used a tri bike, it's draft legal iirc. Open to wind and I found I tough when I did it but was a very weak biker.

Run2: same lap again.

Cheers I'll sign up so an give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Chaineri

Doing this at the weekend. All my questions answered. Garmin files very helpful. Ta guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭ChickenBalls

Did the cycle route last night - road isn't great in some places especially going into Staplestown where there's 4/5 speed bumps that are very worn down. It's a pitty as you'll be approaching them downhill so you'll need to brake unless your on a mountain bike or a lunatic who doesn't care... :)

Hopefully all this rain today/tomorrow passes and we have good weather for it.

• Advertisement

Tanx Keith 123. could see meself going arse over tit on that one alright....sure it will get a mention on the event brief! maybe.....:eek:

Looking forward to this now, hopefully the weather clears up.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 rebelnag

Anybody know what the surface is like on the trail run? Will it be very muddy/slippy from all the rain and will normal running shoes do?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

rebelnag wrote: »
    Anybody know what the surface is like on the trail run? Will it be very muddy/slippy from all the rain and will normal running shoes do?
    Normal running shoes will be fine. There are a few brief muddy patches, but that's about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭pauldoo

that was good fun, i though the ground would be much worse but it was pretty much perfect. could have done without the headwind for the first part of the cycle. surprised they didnt have the times at the end

Yeah enjoyable event, I was speaking to the guy after for a minute he said the times will be emailed later this evening.

Yep, great course and well organised. Dondea Castle not easiest location to find , headwind bit of a challange but could have been worse. Definetley in the diary for next year, ( like to do the July one and one after this year also if I can get over). :p

Anyone get their results yet

No I'm still waiting

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭ChickenBalls

Me too - no word yet. If we dont get the results before 7 tonight we wont get them till tomorrow cause of some match that's on tonight! :D

• Advertisement

Any photos! noticed quite a few David BAILEYS on way round??:)

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭boysinblack

Anyone doing Saturdays event and would have a lend of any sort of road bike? My sister wants to do it but has no road bike to compete be very grateful for any sort of bike....

Advertisement