Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Section of Greenway closed

Options
  • 15-05-2012 1:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭

Landowners living along the Greenway between Mulranny and Achill have blocked the route, and are vowing to keep it blocked until Mayo County Council meets their concerns. At issue, they say, is the council’s failure to instal adequate fencing and warning signs along the much-trumpeted amenity.

I hope this gets sorted soon.

Link

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭mallachyrivers

Pictures please!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

More backward Hillbillies up to no good , I just hope the council dont give into their demands . This type of behaviour cant be tolerated. Give them an inch and where will they stop .Theres hundreds of landowners along the greenway, if their not happy with something , will they then block the greenway to get what they want ?Or what if theres a big pot hole on the road ?:mad:

They should be locked up for blocking such a high profile a public amenity and having total lack of respect for the public and local goverment .

Absolutely horrible shameful behaviour by these people . Lock them up like what would happen in any civilised country.

Welcome to Boards Clifford.

I think maybe you need to try and see it from both sides here. If after a year of petitioning the council to do something about sheep spilling on to your land through open gates if you were a land owner in this situation, with a Summer, and a crop of hay to save... what would you do?

Write another stern letter? Council is broke. Only thing that talks is shaming them into it.

Fiver says the work will get done in jig time now, or at the very least they will get a commitment on it.

You cant half finish the job and feck off once the ribbon has been cut. If there are people to be jailed here it's certainly not the locals for trying to keep stray animals off their property.

(..and no, im not one of them, nor have i any connection to them before you ask)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

post deleted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭martyoo

My Dad is one of the landowners that the Greenway goes through and he is delighted with it. It has given the area a great boost.

Thankfully he hasn't had any issues with animals trespassing on his land but unfortunately it is happening in some areas and I can completely understand why farmers would be angry about this.

The land was giving up for free partly based on the promises from the local county council that adequate fencing and signage would be erected and in some areas this has not happened yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Theres plenty of signage along the greenway .

Is it not the farmers responsibility to keep their animals of the greenway the same way it is to keep them off roads ? whats the difference ?

most of the greenway is commonage so the faramers are enttitled to the let the sheep roam on their commonage, the sheep are getting on to the greenway but thats not the problem, its the sheep roaming on to private property that is.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,273 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Ok well then is it not the farmers responsibility to keep their animals out of private properties ?

Nope, sheep are roaming animals afaik so they are allowed to roam, which is why you'll find them on the roads all around achill!

I'm from the same village as the guy mentioned in the article, not been home yet so don't know what the full story is.

post deleted

Thanks for that.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

nuac wrote: »
    Thanks for that.

I still think you should either delete the entire post, or tallk to your solicitor.

In my humble opinion, ( and after many years as a solicitor ), you have left yourself and boards.ie wide open to litigation

The posts have all been deleted, please remove all your references to Cliffords posts.

Return to topic all or I will close it.

Regards,

yop wrote: »
    The posts have all been deleted, please remove all your references to Cliffords posts.

Return to topic all or I will close it.

Regards,

OK thanks for speedy response.

My refs to Clifford deleted I hope.

Nuac

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭martyoo

Issue resolved :)
    The section of the Greenway near Achill which was closed to the public since last Monday has been re-opened after a dispute between landowners and the Council was resolved.

Link

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement