Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geography

• 15-05-2012 1:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

Hi, i was just wondering what is the difference between processes and factors in the 80 mark geo-ecology section on soil. i saw it in a lc geo book and they have 2 different sections on each.i would have thought that processes were factors but i'm not completely sure and i was wondering would the examiners be very strict about it if you mixed the 2 together.the reason i'm asking is because it's a lot to learn off the both of them, especially when i'm learning off other answers as well. also, why can't this section be done in bullet point form like the rest of the exam?
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭wayhey

Do you mean processes of soil development and factors of soil profiles?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 temujin

wayhey wrote: »
    Do you mean processes of soil development and factors of soil profiles?

ya, sorry for not making that clearer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 temujin

do examiners tend to give all of the coherence marks in this section as well? it says in the marking scheme that 6/7 marks are on offer for each aspect discussed and i'm just wondering if it's easy to get them.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭montown

temujin wrote: »
    Hi, i was just wondering what is the difference between processes and factors in the 80 mark geo-ecology section on soil. i saw it in a lc geo book and they have 2 different sections on each.i would have thought that processes were factors but i'm not completely sure and i was wondering would the examiners be very strict about it if you mixed the 2 together.the reason i'm asking is because it's a lot to learn off the both of them, especially when i'm learning off other answers as well. also, why can't this section be done in bullet point form like the rest of the exam?
    thanks

Processes: Weathering, leaching, humification, laterisation, podzolisation, gleying, salinsation and calcification.

Factors: Climate, relief, organisms, parent material and time.

Characteristics: Texture, structure, colour, PH, humus content, moisture.

It's quite difficult to get enough SRP's on a soil question if you ask me, always go for the biome if it comes up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 40 meesh140

Hey just wondering...
    For geoecology, is a biome question guaranteed?
    Or would it be possible for their to be 3 soils questions?
    Just the biome seems much easier and I'd rather not start learning soils now
    The geography course is just far too big!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭CiaranK

Hasn't happened but very possible, Do human interaction with soil, similar to the human interaction with biome, and there is always a Q on human interaction I think

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hayezer

temujin wrote: »
    thanks

The rest can be done in bullet point form :O:O?

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭CiaranK

Hayezer wrote: »
    The rest can be done in bullet point form :O:O?

No, It's not a good idea

Also for the biome question in all the sample answers in the revision books all the answers have about 3/4 actual headings dividing up the essay.
    I know we must write about 3/4 aspects
    But are the headings necessary? Or is it just to be written as one continuous essay?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

CiaranK wrote: »
    No, It's not a good idea
    Why not? Imo it helps to show the examiner your SRPs and helps you know you have enough?
    meesh140 wrote: »
    Also for the biome question in all the sample answers in the revision books all the answers have about 3/4 actual headings dividing up the essay.
    I know we must write about 3/4 aspects
    But are the headings necessary? Or is it just to be written as one continuous essay?
    You get marks 4 marks for identifying the aspect. In my friend's mock she left out a heading or something and lost marks for it, and the examiner needs to know if you're using 3 or 4 headings.

• Advertisement

This is what less stress more success says on the basis of bullet points
    "for both ordinary level and higher level, write your srp's in paragraph format. Bullet points may lose you marks for lack of cohesion"

Also my geography teacher corrects the English papers in the leaving, she told us never to write in bullet points, because SOME correctors are against it
    While I do agree with your point of making it easier to identify a srp, they might not like it, and mark you down for 'presuming' its an srp
    You have to remember at the end of the day, they have a graph of grades... If they have two a1 students papers in their hands and need to bring one down to an a2, and they don't like your bullet points, you'll go to the a2
    The safe part of essays is that well its the 'correct' format for an answer, and the examiners are trained to look for srp's
    Another point to consider, if you look at even your own school im sure the geography teachers are also English or history teachers too
    In those subjects essays are key
    They will carry through those preferences into their geography corrections
    It would be easier if the corrector also taught maths or biology and just wanted the plain facts not fairy English

At the end of the day you need to remember, your future is pretty much in the correctors hands, play nice to them... Answer how they want you to answer, even if u don't like it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

meesh140 wrote: »
    This is what less stress more success says on the basis of bullet points
    "for both ordinary level and higher level, write your srp's in paragraph format. Bullet points may lose you marks for lack of cohesion"

Also my geography teacher corrects the English papers in the leaving, she told us never to write in bullet points, because SOME correctors are against it
    While I do agree with your point of making it easier to identify a srp, they might not like it, and mark you down for 'presuming' its an srp
    You have to remember at the end of the day, they have a graph of grades... If they have two a1 students papers in their hands and need to bring one down to an a2, and they don't like your bullet points, you'll go to the a2
    The safe part of essays is that well its the 'correct' format for an answer, and the examiners are trained to look for srp's
    Another point to consider, if you look at even your own school im sure the geography teachers are also English or history teachers too
    In those subjects essays are key
    They will carry through those preferences into their geography corrections
    It would be easier if the corrector also taught maths or biology and just wanted the plain facts not fairy English

At the end of the day you need to remember, your future is pretty much in the correctors hands, play nice to them... Answer how they want you to answer, even if u don't like it
    But no marks go for cohesion - they did in 2006 but never since. Thats why you do the option in essay style though, for OC marks. My teacher is a corrector and he says I can even do the option in bullet points but I dont trust him on that one :rolleyes: I dont know though, my friend did her mock in bullets and got an A1, corrected externally.

If you put 3 srps in one sentence the examiner might just not find them. If you have your srps clearly laid out they cant really mark you down for 'not liking it' - if anything I'd assume they prefer it. Personally I find it much easier to read.

Yes I totally agree with you there
    It is so much easier to write and read in bullet points
    Our teacher said writing each sentence on a new line might be a better idea, the same kind of idea of bullet points
    Just without the ugly dots down the side of your page

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hayezer

Well I've been completely neglecting the idea of learning off like 30 essays for Geography, so if I literally learned around 12 SRP bullet points for my answers I'd be ok? Not gonna get 30 times 12 SRPs in time for the exam but it'd definetly make it a whole lot more approachable.

Advertisement