Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(US) Innocent man executed...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Totes awky momo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

In 1989 with much less forensic technology available.

The "innocent" guy executed was also on Parol for a series of attacks. Good riddance.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

sentenced to death and executed based only on eyewitness accounts

Is there not some sort of filtering system that makes sure bullshit prosecution attempts don't get to the courts.

Jesus, there's a whole Wiki category on why we shouldn't do anything based on eyewitness accounts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Sure just execute the other guy too. Sorted!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

davet82 wrote: »
    i think the story is a fairly good arguement to why we should still not execute prisoners?

It's also a fairly good indication of where some people's priorities lie, particularly when it comes to those forwarding this story on facebook.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Sykk wrote: »

The "innocent" guy executed was also on Parol for a series of attacks. Good riddance.

ya! Kill Everyone!!

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Seachmall wrote: »
    Is there not some sort of filtering system that makes sure bullshit prosecution attempts don't get to the courts.

Jesus, there's a whole Wiki category on why we shouldn't do anything based on eyewitness accounts.

Wiki articles don't hold up in court. You can't just create a page for yourself that says, 'I'm well innocent bruv, innit'.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

wprathead wrote: »
    ya! Kill Everyone!!

Not everyone, just scummers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Sindri wrote: »
    Wiki articles don't hold up in court..

Well they should!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

prinz wrote: »
    It's also a fairly good indication of where some people's priorities lie, particularly when it comes to those forwarding this story on facebook.

i dont do facebook

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭iguy

Could the innocent guy's family not press charges against the state for misconduct and whatever other charges could be put against the state,
    his family went through a lot of pain a sorrow due to him being executed.

no forensic technology just wouldnt cut it as an excuse for me if i were that guys brother/father ect

lets kill everyone convicted of assault?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

And we're off to a flying start for todays race to the bottom.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

Your missing the point. Not suprising seeing as how your judgement is clouded by being so blood thirsty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Sure just execute the other guy too. Sorted!

Seemingly he died in prison before they could kill him. How selfish of him.

[controversial]
    I'm a supporter of the death penalty.....
    [/controversial]

...obviously only in rock solid cases. This is going back 20 years ago so judging from what's in the article I'm sure the justice system has come a long way since (yes Ireland's is still stuck in a time warp but that's a different thread). Is it a deterrent? Hard to say, but unfortunatley unless evolution eradicates the scumbaggery gene, it should remain.

Plazaman wrote: »
    . Is it a deterrent? Hard to say.

think its easy enough to say it isn't a deterrent as people still murder, i'd probably rather the gas chamber than 50 years in prison myself tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 12,997 ✭✭✭✭bnt

The fact that this is News is something, at least. Imagine if it happened so often that they didn't bother to report it any more?

The Capital Punishment system in the USA is a shambles; putting the convicted on "Death Row" for decades, then releasing some of them anyway, means that any deterrent effect is watered down. I wouldn't try to generalise about Capital Punishment using the USA experience as a (bad) example.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

tdv123 wrote: »
    Your missing the point. Not suprising seeing as how your judgement is clouded by being so blood thirsty.

Let the tax payer foot the bill of keeping the scum in prison until he gets out and ruins someone elses life.

Money could be used elsewhere like in medical research or something useful. But yes my logic is just blood lust in disguise :rolleyes:

Let the tax payer foot the bill of keeping the scum in prison until he gets out and ruins someone elses life.

Money could be used elsewhere like in medical research or something useful. But yes my logic is just blood lust in disguise :rolleyes:

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I've got a great idea.....why don't we kill everyone - because nobody is really innocent anyway.
    Sykk wrote:

Money could be used elsewhere like in medical research or something useful. But yes my logic is just blood lust in disguise

You want the death penalty as a deterrent, but aren't bothered about who is executed or why. Essentially you want to have a semi-random series of killings to deter killings. I'm not seeing the logic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭problemchimp

grindle wrote: »
    Not everyone, just scummers.
    How do you know if you have the right one?
    I know, beat and torture until he signs some statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

iguy wrote: »
    Could the innocent guy's family not press charges against the state for misconduct and whatever other charges could be put against the state,
    his family went through a lot of pain a sorrow due to him being executed.

Not 100% on this but I'm fairly sure I remember reading somewhere that the US state/federal authorities are immune to prosecution unless they waiver that right voluntarily.

How do you know if you have the right one?
    I know, beat and torture until he signs some statement.

'Dear Judge, I wrecked the Hesperus,

Signed under no duress at all by ___Macker'

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

davet82 wrote: »
    think its easy enough to say it isn't a deterrent as people still murder, i'd probably rather the gas chamber than 50 years in prison myself tbh

I'd say so as well, but you also got to take into account, a lot of people who would do something that can result in the death penalty, do so under the impression they won't get caught. Making the punishment pretty much irrelevant as as a detterent, but more so to "Fit the seriousness of crime."

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭preddy

I for one don't like the idea of some Murder wasting 20+ years of my tax money watching TV tucked up with their iphone then getting released as if they are going to be magicaly rehabilitated.

An Eye for an Eye i say.:mad:

preddy wrote: »
    I for one don't like the idea of some Murder wasting 20+ years of my tax money watching TV tucked up with their iphone then getting released as if they are going to be magicaly rehabilitated.

An Eye for an Eye i say,:mad: and which ever DA/jury convicts an innocent person they get the chair too.

A jury knows what they're told. If the prosecution lies and they go on that lie as truth, they get hung through the crime of another. So its an eye for an eye, and an eye for nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

tdv123 wrote: »

Some people deserve to die.

Take the following example:

Man rapes woman, get released after 4 years, rapes again, 4 years, rapes again 4 years.

This man is beyond all redemption. he will never reform or be reformed, and will remain a danger to the community untill the day he dies.

In what world would this man deserve to live?

CruelCoin wrote: »
    Some people deserve to die.

And therein lies the rub - if you take that approach (and I don't) then who decides who "deserves" death?

You?
    Our justice system with all it's flaws?
    Maybe the fickle mob can vote on it?

Sure, it's easy to go "this guy is a rapist he must die" because it's just a morality play. A flimsy piece of theatre designed to make your point seem valid, but these magic scenarios of definite guilt don't really exist.

The real world is complex and clear cut decisions are few and far between, how is this concept of only executing those that "deserve death" going to work there?

CruelCoin wrote: »
    In what world would this man deserve to live?

a segragated one for life

you cant cure a murder with murder

anyways the death penalty, is not a punishment usually associated with rape in westren societies (i could be wrong?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Why are people so much in favour of execution? There are worse punishments than death.
    For example imagine executing a failed 9/11 terrorist. Would people not much rather have them locked up for the rest of their lives and being put to work, similar to the old American chain gangs?

Advertisement