Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Enda Kenny tells protester "You could do with a day’s work, I’d say"

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

bluesteel wrote: »

by that reasoning Obama should have debated Newt Gingrich, Sarah Palin et al

Heads of Government should't lower themselves like that

That's a completely different argument to the one you used at the start of the thread but you couldn't help yourself as you had to vent your anti-SF prejudice by personal attacks instead of intelligent reasoning.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

Seachmall wrote: »
    I was expecting the guy he said it to to be one of those hippy folk who travel the country protesting having never held down a job.

Turns out Kenny wasn't being witty, just being a prick.

He was a soldier for a few years in the 70s, then a taxi driver. He has worked for over 30 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Sure we could all do with a day's work couldn't we?

I agree.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

really?
    Technically that's true. The government picks the taoiseach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Kenny was not elected taoiseach by the people.

really?

Zebra3 is factually correct...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

..... what harm to try to inform and influence the general public of his opinion.

"His opinion" has been on basically every news programme, on all Irish TV and radio stations, not to mention all over the internet, and on posters stuck on pretty much every lamp-post in the country.

One carwreck of a "debate" isn't going to change anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 dingledaly82

Why don't Fine Geal just re-brand to Fianna Fail because they are executing there programme exactly the same cock and bull way as the previous government.. How many u-turns does it take to become a hypocrite?? The only reason many teachers become TD's are because they have nothing to lose by suspending there teaching duties while trying to pursue a political career, if it fails they still have there job waiting to go back to as well as 5 days additional wedding leave, working 30 hour week, 3 months holidays every year, sick pay for up to 6 months per year, getting additional payment for yard supervision, un-retrenchable, private sector wages have halved in some cases whereas teachers receiving pay increases etc etc etc do i have to go on...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Enda , as head of state, should compose himself a little better under pressure though.

Michael D is the head of state. I fail to see what the big deal is (as seemingly do most posters since this seems to have turned into a debate on the TV3 thing).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

curlzy wrote: »
    “You could do with a day’s work, I’d say,” Mr Kenny replied.
    He said as he handed the man a plane ticket to Sidney.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

Enda , as head of state, should compose himself a little better under pressure though.

As head of state perhaps he should be addressed with some respect whether you agree with his actions or not. Threat a person like a dog and they may bite back.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Today is not a good day for FG anyway.
    FG Aine Collins is reported to be giving out that she can't live on her €140K salary a year.
    (Thats €92,672 wages and the rest expenses)
    She says she don't know how she already claimed €50,000 in expenses already! :D

She also insulted a Russian economist here in Ireland by telling him "the best thing he can do is get on a plane back to Moscow".

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

As head of state perhaps he should be addressed with some respect whether you agree with his actions or not. Threat a person like a dog and they may bite back.
    While "get a life and do something productive you pathetic idiot" was the generally correct response to Mr Hudson, it's a fair argument that the Taoiseach shouldn't reduce himself to the same level as the idiot and instead should have just blanked the guy and moved on.

Arguing tit-for-tat with some ignoramus on a committay is not exactly standing out as a dignified statesman.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

prinz wrote: »
    "His opinion" has been on basically every news programme, on all Irish TV and radio stations, not to mention all over the internet, and on posters stuck on pretty much every lamp-post in the country.

One carwreck of a "debate" isn't going to change anything.

he could at least "back it up" - its one thing telling us to vote a certain way, a completely different thing if he cannot get on tv and defend it.

Or could it be that he hasn't a clue what he is talking about - that he's just pandering to the commands of somebody else in another country who is using the wimp as a puppet. In which case we should all be voting against him.

if he cannot back it up he should be allowed to influence anybody.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Biggins wrote: »
    Today is not a good day for FG anyway.
    FG Aine Collins is reported to be giving out that she can't live on her €140K salary a year.
    (Thats €92,672 wages and the rest expenses)
    She says she don't know how she already claimed €50,000 in expenses already! :D

She also insulted a Russian economist here in Ireland by telling him "the best thing he can do is get on a plane back to Moscow".

:D

Is there a link to any of that? Not that I doubt it but would just like to read more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Why are people surprised by this?

Enda Kenny was never going to turn into some charming, carasmatic public speaker over night.
    His real talent seems to lie in private meetings with other heads of state as seen earlier in the year with the success of the Chinesse vists.

Also he was elected by the people, we all knew who would be Taoiseach based on our votes.

• Advertisement

Morlar wrote: »
    Is there a link to any of that? Not that I doubt it but would just like to read more.

Looking for a link but its hard to miss on the front of The Mail today! :D
    She TOTALLY admits whats she said.

Here: http://www.politics.ie/forum/fine-gael/188555-daily-mail-fine-gael-td-says-its-not-easy-140k-year-tells-gurdgiev-go-home.html

respect has to be earned.

and remember our "politicians" are just regular old joe soaps with bigger mouths. they are NOT experts in the economic system of the world, they are NOT experts in how to run a country - they are loudmouths who walked through and over what they could to get listened to - they will only quieten down when they get enough money to bail out (or bring down a govt). they are in the for THEMSELVES, no-one else. Never forget that.

people on here seem to think they are somehow more intelligent than the regular person in a job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Mr Hudson said he had been self-employed for 29 years but had to “pack it in because of ye”.

So what do you all think of that?

He couldn't manage to stay in business when the rest of us can? Good riddance, more customers for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

CruelCoin wrote: »
    He couldn't manage to stay in business when the rest of us can? Good riddance, more customers for me.

Do we know what business he was in?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ronjo

Whether you or enda like it or not SF are currently the 2nd biggest party in the state.

Thats not true surely

• Advertisement

ronjo wrote: »
    Thats not true surely

According to the most recent opinion polls I believe it is.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056612723&page=3
    Independent.ie
    Labour plummets six points in poll as Sinn Fein surges to second place

By Fionnan Sheahan and Fiach Kelly
    Friday April 20 2012

The Labour Party has suffered a huge slide in its support, with Sinn Fein enjoying a corresponding rise, a new opinion poll shows.

Fine Gael's support is also well down, as the Government takes a pounding, with Independents moving up too.

Taoiseach Enda Kenny, Tanaiste Eamon Gilmore, the Government and their parties are all suffering a backlash on the back of controversies over the household charge and water charges.

Labour support has dropped a whopping six points since the comparable opinion poll of six months ago.

The poll taken immediately after its party conference in Galway last weekend puts Mr Gilmore's party on 13pc -- down six points.

Sinn Fein's support is up by six points to 21pc, with Gerry Adams's party leapfrogging Labour as the second-best supported party in the country.

Sinn Fein's level of support in the poll is twice its result in the 2011 General Election.

Greens

Independents are up three points to 17pc. The poll also measures support for the Green Party -- up one point to two per cent.

Both coalition parties were on the same level of support they achieved in that election in the last poll taken in October.

But Fine Gael and Labour have taken substantial hits in the intervening period with the honeymoon very definitely over for the Coalition.

Fianna Fail continues to show no sign of resurgence since the general election, down one point to 14pc. But the party won't have been expecting anything better in the wake of the Mahon Tribunal report and its criticism of former Fianna Fail figures, like Bertie Ahern and Padraig Flynn.

The IPSOS MRBI opinion poll for 'The Irish Times' shows satisfaction with the Government is down a whopping 14 points from 37pc to 23pc.

And 73pc are dissatisfied while 6pc don't know.

Also in decline is satisfaction with Mr Kenny, which is down 10 points from 52pc to 42pc.

Mr Gilmore's satisfaction rating is down 14 points from 41pc to 27pc.

Mr Adams is down three points from 32pc to 29pc. Fianna Fail leader Micheal Martin's satisfaction rating is down five points from 29pc to 24pc. The poll was carried out on Monday and Tuesday at 100 locations in all 43 constituencies.

The rise in support for Sinn Fein will be a cause for concern in Labour. The poll indicates a substantial switch in support on the left wing of the political spectrum.

- Fionnan Sheahan and Fiach Kelly

Source : http://www.independent.ie/national-news/labour-plummets-six-points-in-poll-as-sinn-fein-surges-to-second-place-3087091.html

Ghandee wrote: »
    Do we know what business he was in?

According to a post earlier on the thread, a taxi driver.

According to the most recent opinion polls I believe it is.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056612723&page=3

Does an opinion poll make you a bigger party??
    I would have thought it was seats in the Dail.

respect has to be earned.

and remember our "politicians" are just regular old joe soaps with bigger mouths. they are NOT experts in the economic system of the world, they are NOT experts in how to run a country - they are loudmouths who walked through and over what they could to get listened to - they will only quieten down when they get enough money to bail out (or bring down a govt). they are in the for THEMSELVES, no-one else. Never forget that.

people on here seem to think they are somehow more intelligent than the regular person in a job.
    Cool. Why don't you become a politican then.As you say all you need to do is shout louder than the next guy.

It's not something I could do.

Are they perfect? Hell no

Also leave out the "respect has to be earned" bs. This isn't some b grade Chuck Norris film. Any decent person treats others with respect from the outset. You hardly walk around all day telling people you don't know to piss off

You could argue that point, but perhaps only if you were desperate to try to undermine their legitimacy for some reason.

Polls are the standard way of measuring political support in between general elections.

In any event the fact remains that SF do have significant support and Enda would be unwise to pretend that is not the case imo.

You could argue that point, but perhaps only if you were desperate to try to undermine their legitimacy for some reason.

Polls are the standard way of measuring political support in between general elections.

In any event the fact remains that SF do have significant support and Enda would be unwise to pretend that is not the case imo.
    People argue how valid opinion polls are all the time. The fact is come election time they are usually fairly on point in regards to percentage of votes per party

If some trust polls to indicate what way a referendum might be going, we can also place some trust in them also as to how parties are doing generally.

Nothing is concrete till a voting day but you can look at all as indicators in all cases - not just use some with one issue (as others do sometimes) and rubbish others if its not liked what way they are pointing.

Not desperate no. I am not trying to say they dont have significant support and perhaps would be second biggest party if there was election but as everyone knows, its a lot easier to pick up support in opposition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 DonnaHay

well I've had about enough of morons and half wits, dolts, dunces, dullards and dumbbells

• Advertisement

DonnaHay wrote: »
    well I've had about enough of morons and half wits, dolts, dunces, dullards and dumbbells

Desperate Housewives is finished thank god! :D

Felexicon wrote: »
    Cool. Why don't you become a politican then.As you say all you need to do is shout louder than the next guy.

because I have morals and standards and do not believe in hoodwinking people

It's not something I could do. me neither

Are they perfect? Hell no correct - but they try to make you believe they are

Also leave out the "respect has to be earned" bs. This isn't some b grade Chuck Norris film. Any decent person treats others with respect from the outset. You hardly walk around all day telling people you don't know to piss off i walk around minding my own business, but if somebody who was begging for something from me a year ago, and I give it to them, and they then turn around after they get what they want from me, and tell me to basically go screw myself, I would gladly let them know my feelings and my actions in NOT voting for them

I certainly don't trust them and I certainly dont respect them.

Not desperate no. I am not trying to say they dont have significant support and perhaps would be second biggest party if there was election but as everyone knows, its a lot easier to pick up support in opposition.

That is dependant on govt performance.

In the current climate I agree it is easier for a competent opposition party to grow support on the basis of the public perception of govt handling.

One way for FG to redress this would be a televised debate.

The fact that FG party advisors & leaders have considered this and decided that NOT to attend the debate is the least worst option speaks volumes on Enda Kenny's own confidence in his grasp of the current situation.

Trying to hide behind the excuse of 'Browne is the journo so I won't attend' and having his bluff called by Tv3 (replacing browne) has just shot a gaping hole in his public perception in my opinion.

That other FG TD Aine Collins has also shot herself in the foot if I am reading it correctly.

Trying to hide behind the excuse of 'Browne is the journo so I won't attend' and having his bluff called by Tv3 (replacing browne) has just shot a gaping hole in his public perception in my opinion.

Did he actually give that as his reason?? If so, then I totally agree with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Chickabic

My God, what next will Enda the fool come out with.

That is dependant on govt performance.

In the current climate I agree it is easier for a competent opposition party to grow support on the basis of the public perception of govt handling.

One way for FG to redress this would be a televised debate.

They don't even need to face other political heads.
    They could be politely asked questions by a public audience in the form of something like "Question Time" on BBC1.

Questioned about general worries and situations, it could be very easy going for FG/Labour and one way or another some of the issues could be in an hour explained nicely and calmly - not just constantly fighting over soundbites and trading them, in the meantime telling us very little besides the 'bite' version.

Thats all it would take for a lot of people.

Advertise to the nation that a Public Debate of National Importance will be aired before the vote and it would help a lot of people.

Instead, we get soundbites, posters and small leaflets and don't address a lot of issues.
    A recent poll with the Journal.ie showed a great majority of people are NOT happy at all about the information thats being sent out by FG and Labour.

Did he actually give that as his reason?? If so, then I totally agree with you.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/0510/breaking38.html

(Thursday, May 10, 2012, 18:13)
    Taoiseach Enda Kenny is running scared after refusing to take part in a televised debate about the fiscal treaty with Gerry Adams, Sinn Féin has claimed.

Mr Kenny has ruled out appearing on TV3, saying he would not take part in a programme moderated by journalist Vincent Browne

Today:

http://www.tv3.ie/article.php?article_id=72681&locID=1.2&pagename=news

An Taoiseach Enda Kenny has declined an offer to participate in a TV3 debate on the European Fiscal Treaty referendum with Sinn Fein leader Gerry Adams.

TV3’s Andrew Hanlon has said that “the decision by An Taoiseach Enda Kenny to decline TV3’s offer to participate in a live debate on the European Fiscal Treaty with the Sinn Fein leader, for no stated reason, is regrettable.”

Mr Kenny had been invited to take part in a debate chaired by Ursula Halligan, after Vincent Browne agreed to step-aside as the moderator for the debate in an effort to ensure that the Taoiseach would participate.

Hanlon said that it was “disappointing to note that the only occasions on which the Taoiseach has chosen to appear on TV3 is when he seeks to promote charitable causes. Whilst these appearances are important, our viewers are equally entitled to hear the Taoiseach’s views on matters of major national interest, including the forthcoming fiscal treaty referendum.”

Mr Kenny has not clarified if he will be participating in televised debates on other broadcasters during the referendum campaign.

I think most adults reading this can draw their own logical conclusions from those facts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭flutered

my only post on this thread, respect MUST be earned.

They don't even need to face other political heads.
    They could be politely asked questions by a public audience in the form of something like "Question Time" on BBC1.

That makes total sense. It would keep party politics out of it and point scoring.

• Advertisement

I think most adults reading this can draw their own logical conclusions from those facts.

Ok, so he didnt actually say it.
    As I wrote above I fully agree with Biggins suggestion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Looking for a link but its hard to miss on the front of The Mail today! :D
    She TOTALLY admits whats she said.

Here: http://www.politics.ie/forum/fine-gael/188555-daily-mail-fine-gael-td-says-its-not-easy-140k-year-tells-gurdgiev-go-home.html
    LOL thanks for that, needed a good laugh :D

That makes total sense. It would keep party politics out of it and point scoring.

I'd prefer the different political parties address each other on the issue rather than have enda field questions from a non trained general public audience.

Any politician can deflect a question from a member of the public who work 9-5 in their own jobs and are not necessarily comprehensively invested in the issueand able to raise the issues in the glare of the camearas in a professional manner.

I think you need them to face professional opposition to expose their shortcomings. That is why I would love to see a capable orator like Ganley take on Enda head to head. It would be a bloodbath which is why it's unlikely to happen however.

Enda and Martin on the Pro treaty side vs Ganley and Adams on the anti-treaty side.

One hour of that would make for rivetting TV and uncover and enlighten the public more than a week of Enda trying to be 'presidential' deflecting questions from the public imo.

LOL thanks for that, needed a good laugh :D

Leo Varadkar complains about taxi racism - and she tells a Russan to sod off home (basically).

Cross-messages! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭big_heart_on

I'm a little sceptical of public debates when they are approached by politicians with image consultants, debate coaches, spin doctors, media strategists etc. etc.

Instead of a calm reasoned discussion of the issue at hand, you have political theatre. The less like the USA our politics gets (as bad as ours is) the better, see the republican debates for evidence. I was disgusted at FG for bringing someone like Frank Luntz over. Thats the kind of slime we dont need.

I was embarrassed to see Kenny in the White House. I was wondering if the Obamas had heard of his lumumba joke scandal. That incident speaks to his judgement i.e. not good.

Anyway, FG went back on so many things they said pre-election I've no time for them, not that I ever did. Anyone who voted FG thinking it meant change from FFailure needs their head examined anyway. Like Galloway says "two cheeks of the same arse".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I think you need them to face professional opposition to expose their shortcomings. That is why I would love to see a capable orator like Ganley take on Enda head to head. It would be a bloodbath which is why it's unlikely to happen however.
    Oooh I'd love to see that. No fan of Ganley but I could see him psyching enda out very badly in a 1 on 1 debate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

Enda Kenny is turning out to be a right little sh*t.

One way for FG to redress this would be a televised debate..

There has already been cross-party televised debates on the referendum. Not long ago I was watching Mary Lou McDonald debating with Simon Coveney amongst others. Having Enda v Gerry is just playing personalities instead of issues.
    They don't even need to face other political heads. They could be politely asked questions by a public audience in the form of something like "Question Time" on BBC1. Questioned about general worries and situations, it could be very easy going for FG/Labour and one way or another some of the issues could be in an hour explained nicely and calmly - not just constantly fighting over soundbites and trading them, in the meantime telling us very little besides the 'bite' version....

It's a referendum. Any TV station willing to give FG/Labour a platform to discuss the pros and cons of a Yes vote would be accused of impartiality etc etc. So you'd have to have representatives from both/all sides. The you'd have to have prior knowledge of the questions/questioners to make sure there would be an equal balance of those....and so on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭toexpress

“pack it in because of ye”.

So what do you all think of that?

Well given that he wont take responsibility for himself I think An Taoiseach is probably correct in this.

Firstly the economic situation is one that was created by the Government we have changed our Government since all of this happened so to try and scape goat Fine Gael and Labour is just a bit much.

Frankly I am heart sick of listening to people bitch and moan about the state of things, we could all do it and sit around and feel sorry for ourselves or we can show a little enterprising spirit and get out and do something.

The fighting Irish should probably stop fighting the wrong fight and put the same energy into fighting to repair our economy.

Oooh I'd love to see that. No fan of Ganley but I could see him psyching enda out very badly in a 1 on 1 debate.

Enda Kenny does not do good on any political debates, be it in RTE or anywhere else.
    If he has to face a debate - he would rather have it as four/five people than a one on one.
    That way with the former, there is less time for intensive pulling apart of the words spoken and more soundbites are traded - where as in the latter, with a one on one, its possible to concentrate on issues deeper. In a debate of that latter style, heads in the FG party know thats where Kenny fails constantly.

I'd prefer the different political parties address each other on the issue rather than have enda field questions from a non trained general public audience....Enda and Martin on the Pro treaty side vs Ganley and Adams on the anti-treaty side. .

What political party is Ganley an elected representative of again?

• Advertisement
Advertisement