Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Myths about Wimmin!

• 15-05-2012 2:03pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭

PMT, Post natal depression. Pre natal Depression. Are these 'afflictions' as common as sit coms and comedians would have us believe?
    I have been married for ten years now and at no point has my wife turned into an axe wielding nut-bucket when she has the painters in. Neither has she become hormonally unbalanced before or after the birth of either of our kids.
    Likewise i am the only man in my job with 11 women and i certainly never encounter any wild or erratic mood swing which last 3-5 days.
    What is your experience of this .
    ladies and gents perspectives welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

PMT, Post natal depression. Pre natal Depression. Are these 'afflictions' as common as sit coms and comedians would have us believe?
    I have been married for ten years now and at no point has my wife turned into an axe wielding nut-bucket when she has the painters in. Neither has she become hormonally unbalanced before or after the birth of either of our kids.
    Likewise i am the only man in my job with 11 women and i certainly never encounter any wild or erratic mood swing which last 3-5 days.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sample_size_determination

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 MagicMirror

Yes, they are. Post-natal depression alone is a serious illness.

Anyone who thinks otherwise is a complete and utter nob.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

their periods attract bears

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

Likewise i am the only man in my job with 11 women

you've just become immunised from surrounding yourself with women...

and where do you work, dorethy perkins?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

my many mood swings have never lined up in any meaningful way with hormone cycle in 19 years. Ever.

I will cry at movies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Wearing certain Tampons makes them great tennis players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

davet82 wrote: »
    you've just become immunised from surrounding yourself with women...

and where do you work, dorethy perkins?

where i work has only 16 men.... there is over 70 women here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Screaming at hubby.

"Relax, your hormones are getting the better of you"

"Don't talk sh1t3"

Standing over corpse of hubby with bloody knife.

"I am suffering postblablasomemadeupcrap"

Judge "Ah, right you are so. Be off home with you"

where i work has only 16 men.... there is over 70 women here

is that a good thing or a bad thing?

i cant make up my mind :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭quad_red

Obviously. Because it hasn't happened to your wife it does not exist.

In my experience, women tend to be more moody than men.

Whether that is hormonal or whatever, I don't know.

• Advertisement

davet82 wrote: »
    is that a good thing or a bad thing?

i cant make up my mind :pac:

lol there is a few good looking ones here... but most of them are middle aged or not so easy on the eye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Your wife ≠ all women

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Yes, they are. Post-natal depression alone is a serious illness.

Anyone who thinks otherwise is a complete and utter nob.

I never said its not serious. Im just wondering how common it is.

Dolorous wrote: »
    Your wife ≠ all women

maybe his wife ≠ woman at all ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Feeona

Screaming at hubby.

"Relax, your hormones are getting the better of you"

"Don't talk sh1t3"

Standing over corpse of hubby with bloody knife.

"I am suffering postblablasomemadeupcrap"

Judge "Ah, right you are so. Be off home with you"

And in the face of incontrovertible evidence, the OP was sent away with his tail between his legs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

They love cleaning....wait...that's true, isn't it?!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭ChubbyRunner

I have post natal depression at the moment, I don't advertise it though so you would never know ( I take meds which help ) I think a lot of women don't talk about it because there is a fear that people might not understand. I got very unhelpful comments when I did tell some family, things like "what do you have to be down about".....its meant to be a wonderful time and I suppose in a way I am feeling guilty about feeling depressed when I know others would love to have kids.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

maybe his wife ≠ woman at all ;)

Indeed. She ejaculated two kids!!!

But , possibly contraversially, i have spoken to more than a few women who think that SOME women simply play to the stero type of hormonally imbalanced women and use it as an excuse to be unpleasant.

Whoaaaaa. Just spotted the post above. Im not talking about post or pre natal depression in this case. Simply the monthly appointment with the decorators.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

PMS is most definitely real. I have about one day a month where I would literally be able to rip a man apart with my bare hands if he got between me and something I cared about. I get insanely territorial, like a wolf. A rabid, deranged wolf. Though I have friends who have never had a twinge of it in their lives.

I think you may not be that observant OP. That or your cycle has synched with that of the most dominant of your 11 women and you're also so off your head at that time of the month you don't notice any better.

Indeed. She ejaculated two kids!!!

But , possibly contraversially, i have spoken to more than a few women who think that SOME women simply play to the stero type of hormonally imbalanced women and use it as an excuse to be unpleasant.

Whoaaaaa. Just spotted the post above. Im not talking about post or pre natal depression in this case. Simply the monthly appointment with the decorators.

ye could have used a surrogate... and bought 2 eggs. just saying :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

PMS is a lie, they're always crazy and just use that as an excuse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,270 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

PMS is certainly real. As is the fact that any woman with an ounce of self-control can restrain herself from giving into it.

I've found that those few women who profer PMT as an excuse for their irrational, psychotic behavior tend to be irrational psychopaths at every other point in the month too. They just don't act on it until they feel society has absolved them of all reasonable accountability because they happen to be menstruating.

smash wrote: »
    PMS is a lie, they're always crazy and just use that as an excuse.

just like schizophrenia :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Sleepy wrote: »
    PMS is certainly real. As is the fact that any woman with an ounce of self-control can restrain herself from giving into it.

I've found that those few women who profer PMT as an excuse for their irrational, psychotic behavior tend to be irrational psychopaths at every other point in the month too. They just don't act on it until they feel society has absolved them of all reasonable accountability because they happen to be menstruating.

Ah come on - so you should refrain from crying at The Littlest Hobo when you have PMS because otherwise you are 'giving into it'? Would that we all had your iron self control! I don't believe any woman should use it as an exuse for yelling and screaming at people, but I also don't know any woman who does. Or any genuinely irrational psychopaths, possibly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Ruralyoke

They say a woman's work is never done.

Well that's a myth right there.

If there was any truth to that I'm sure I could get away with doing WAY less housework :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Ruralyoke wrote: »
    They say a woman's work is never done.

According to Jimmy Carr, that's the reason you get paid less!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

PMS is most definitely real. I have about one day a month where I would literally be able to rip a man apart with my bare hands if he got between me and something I cared about. I get insanely territorial, like a wolf. A rabid, deranged wolf. Though I have friends who have never had a twinge of it in their lives.

I think you may not be that observant OP. That or your cycle has synched with that of the most dominant of your 11 women and you're also so off your head at that time of the month you don't notice any better.

Having had the enormous pleasure of working in a female dominated industry for two decades, I'd have to say that you can't really generalise to any useful degree with regards to what you can expect from every woman - you can get the "moody wagon", but also the opposite. As regards PMT and the like, its hard to know where PMT/hormones begin or end and crankiness from pain begin or end.

There's also the fact that some people seem to think its ok to take their every humour out on all around them, and others would refuse to do so if their arse was on fire.

No idea on the frequency of post natal depression, or post partum (same day, worse shit). I presume rough stats exist somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Women are tidier/cleaner than men.

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Aye, work in a bar where you're charged with cleaning the jacks and that one becomes apparent very quickly!

Or just share a bedroom with a woman! :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Magnet to knuckledraggers #3,672

I'm lucky, I sail through it, but that doesn't make me assume most other women are the same. Some women genuinely get very depressed because of hormonal changes, and some women get extremely ill.
    It's a bit silly to reckon it's sometimes put on for special treatment, just because you "think" it might be. I don't know any woman who does that, if anything she'd avoid drawing attention to herself when on the blob.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

I kind of agree with this. The only women I know who make a big deal of it are the ones who are generally basketcases, and like having another excuse to act like petulant children.

I mean, I do get cranky and emotional and all around that time of the month, but I'm a grown ass adult and therefore it's my job to keep all the crazy in, rather than going nuclear at innocent bystanders. I don't mean crying at movies and stuff, that's fine, but that kind of bitchy incoherent rage and weird aggression. I'm at the very least kind of suspect about a woman who ates the head off somebody and then breaks out the PMT defence.

I mean, you know when your period is, you should know when your emotions are going to be in Capslock, just moderate your expression of them accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Bitches be not crazy.

Not as a rule.

Some be, some not be.

Most wimminz not even be bitches at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Born to Die

I love women. Most are lovely creatures.
    I fear some women. A woman scorned is a dangerous adversary.
    I pity some women, the one's that believe they need to have a man to be complete.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Lollers

I have post natal depression at the moment, I don't advertise it though so you would never know ( I take meds which help ) I think a lot of women don't talk about it because there is a fear that people might not understand. I got very unhelpful comments when I did tell some family, things like "what do you have to be down about".....its meant to be a wonderful time and I suppose in a way I am feeling guilty about feeling depressed when I know others would love to have kids.

Ugh, those comments were awful. I know its hard, but take no notice they sound like they are coming from people who haven't a clue about depression. The "snap out of it" brigade. As for feeling guilty, DON'T EVER, it's part of the depression. I'm glad the meds are helping, and I hope this passes for you soon. Internet hugz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

There are definitely one or two days a month where I'm much more likely to report posts :pac:

• Advertisement

Fr_Dougal wrote: »

a big generalization there

the women in my family are clutterers... leave dirty dishes all over the place breeding fungus and many other new lifeforms

the men in the family except dad clean up all the time. he too is a clutterer

i myself like a tidy flat.

Lollers wrote: »
    Ugh, those comments were awful. I know its hard, but take no notice they sound like they are coming from people who haven't a clue about depression. The "snap out of it" brigade. As for feeling guilty, DON'T EVER, it's part of the depression. I'm glad the meds are helping, and I hope this passes for you soon. Internet hugz.

Thank you x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

George Carlin:
    "Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid"

Dudess wrote: »
    It's a bit silly to reckon it's sometimes put on for special treatment, just because you "think" it might be. I don't know any woman who does that, if anything she'd avoid drawing attention to herself when on the blob.
    That's sort of my point: sane women recognize that they're a bit on edge at that time of month and that they need to exercise a little more self-control around others, put more effort into being tolerant of things others to that irritate them.

Less sane women see PMT as something to justify indulging their crazy with...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Chriscl1

If you blow into a woman's vage it can kill her!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 592 ✭✭✭kieranfitz

Woman does't want to work today "I have a vague non specific pain somewhere in or around my torso"

Boss "take the rest of the week off"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

That's sort of my point: sane women recognize that they're a bit on edge at that time of month and that they need to exercise a little more self-control around others, put more effort into being tolerant of things others to that irritate them.

Less sane women see PMT as something to justify indulging their crazy with...

QFT. I myself sometimes hear the bitchiness/craziness leaving my mouth and can't believe it's me saying it. I usually apologise if it was unnecessary. Some women use hormones as an excuse to be she-devils, but the vast majority can control it if they felt like it.

kieranfitz wrote: »
    Woman does't want to work today "I have a vague non specific pain somewhere in or around my torso"

Boss "take the rest of the week off"

This woman you're talking about is clearly pregnant!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 592 ✭✭✭kieranfitz

This woman you're talking about is clearly pregnant!

Women, plural, And if they are then they must be after smashing the records for the worlds longest pregnancy's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Katgurl

yeah good thread, this stuff pi$$es me off actually.

The One True Love of My LIfe is not chocolate.
    I do not feel the urge to stab people in the face every 28 days.
    I do not consider shopping a sport.
    The Notebook is a pile of $hite and the only tears I shed were ones of rage that it had robbed me of 2 hours of my life.

I'm not saying the above do not apply to other women and I do possess most of the typical female traits but... they are not a given.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭eirn

PMS is absolutely real as far as I'm concerned! There are physical changes, and to be honest, I get a bit anxious if there isn't any chocolate in the house.
    While I'm normally really calm and laid-back, I can just be a bit more emotional.
    But I'm a grown up! Not a moody teenager. I know whats happening with me, and why it's happening, so I don't take it out on the people around me. (Unless said people devour my stash of chocolate, than it's every man for himself).

As for the depiction of post-natal depression in soaps, I completely agree! In any soap I've ever watched every woman who has a baby seems to immediately plunge into a deep depression.
    Especially the women who really struggled to get pregnant/desperately wanted a baby, and/or had been through ivf.
    Now I know that post-natal depression is real, and should be treated seriously. But it's hardly a given. Until some of my close friends had babies, I honestly thought that it was practically a given that the whole experience would just be miserable, exhausting and awful.

eirn wrote: »
    PMS is absolutely real as far as I'm concerned! There are physical changes, and to be honest, I get a bit anxious if there isn't any chocolate in the house.
    While I'm normally really calm and laid-back, I can just be a bit more emotional.
    But I'm a grown up! Not a moody teenager. I know whats happening with me, and why it's happening, so I don't take it out on the people around me. (Unless said people devour my stash of chocolate, than it's every man for himself).

As for the depiction of post-natal depression in soaps, I completely agree! In any soap I've ever watched every woman who has a baby seems to immediately plunge into a deep depression.
    Especially the women who really struggled to get pregnant/desperately wanted a baby, and/or had been through ivf.
    Now I know that post-natal depression is real, and should be treated seriously. But it's hardly a given. Until some of my close friends had babies, I honestly thought that it was practically a given that the whole experience would just be miserable, exhausting and awful.

I knew it!!

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Katgurl

Yeah that's not really exclusive to women though, I think that's just when a condition gets diagnosed, the whole world starts diagnosing ie.

I have a tidy room therefore I am OCD.
    She is disciplined with her diet... anorekky-no-brekkie
    Hyper child probably due to too much chocolate - ADD
    Pi$$ed off its winter time and no hols to look forward to - definitely suffers from SAD

eirn wrote: »

I'm an Ivf mom and I have had terrible pnd, part of the reason I feel so guilty as I posted earlier. Yes its wonderful to have him but the journey to have him has been a rollercoaster and I guess now I am just finally having time to breathe and its all getting on top of me, all the worry and stress etc. Just because its been a harder road to have our kids doesn't make us immune for the bad stuff. Its not all a disney movie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

I've had all you listed.
    I have pmdd which is severe pms - I become suicidal and completely crazy at ovulation and just before my period.
    My regular bouts of depression are closely linked with my hormones.
    I've had depression while pregnant with one child, and postnatal depression with the other.
    I am pregnant at the moment again, and I haven't been better - before I got pregnant, I was seriously suicidal most of the time - severly depressed and severe anxiety and insomnia - but my monthly hormone levels have changed now with my pregnancy, and now you would never know that I haven't been able to get out of bed or do ANYTHING for the past year!
    Yes, they are all very real, and yes, they are all very common.
    That does not mean every woman will experience any or all hormonal mood problems.

• Advertisement
Advertisement