Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

JSA and self-employment

• 15-05-2012 2:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi, is it possible to register as a child-minder (part-time) while already on Jobseeker Allowance, and still qualify for the benefit, reduced according to earnings of course. Does anyone here knows how and if it can be done? Or is it that as soon as you register self-employment, your benefit stops? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

Kathy Jane wrote: »
    Hi, is it possible to register as a child-minder (part-time) while already on Jobseeker Allowance, and still qualify for the benefit, reduced according to earnings of course. Does anyone here knows how and if it can be done? Or is it that as soon as you register self-employment, your benefit stops? Thanks.

It should be possible to do this. Obviously any income from self-employment will be assessed. You just contact your sw office and let them know that you are taking up self-employment and your means can be reviewed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭phormium

I don't know about this, I asked something similar in SW office, I wondered if I could do some work, not unlike what you are suggesting, from home and totally part time, in fact outside normal office hours even and still continue to be available for work. Was told that I would have to register as self employed and once I did that then would no longer be able to continue with SW. Only difference is at the time I was signing for credits as I was jobseeking but not receiving any payments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Kathy Jane

Yes, phormium, I was afraid of that. It appears that if you are already self-employed but your income fell, you do not need to de-register but could claim jsa if you satisfy other conditions. But if you want to register while in receipt of JSA (or credits for that matter), you will loose everything, even though your income clearly is not sufficient to live on. That's a shame, because it could help some people to get off benefits and would reduce burden on the state as well. Everyone knows, there is a very limited supply of full-time jobs. Why not let people to earn part-time?

Advertisement