Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LPC in England

• 15-05-2012 2:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I did a bit of searching on the forum about this area and there doesn't seem to be any concrete info on how an Irish person applies.

Anyway I was just looking into this, seems to be a decent idea should the FE1's and not getting a TC fall through over the next year.

Just a few questions if anyone is able to answer that would be great.

1. Is an Irish Law Degree and or an LL.M enough to go straight into the LPC, or would I have to complete the GDL that I've been reading about?

2. If I did have to complete the GDL would it be all subjects and would be able to have a job whilst doing it. The place I work has loads of locations in England and I'm sure it would be no problem transferring, they are also very flexible i.e. they could just put me on weekends if time was needed during the week for the GDL.

Think that's all for now anyway, did my first set of FE1's in March, and it is very daunting that there is little or no prospects for breaking into the law scene here unless you're extremely rich or have good connections. So this would be an idea a year from now for me if nothing good came of the FE1's.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Strawberry Fields

The people to ring are the SRA in UK, law soc england and wales refer all queries to them. I rang them before but can't answer because I don't have a law degree but nearly have all fe1s. They told me to apply for a certificate of academic standing which will tell you whether or not you are due exemptions from their equivalent, I never got one but subjects wise there's no constitutional but there is public law. Following this you need to do some other 1 year full time or 2 year part time course consisting of further exams and training before getting work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

Thanks, might give them a call and just get some info off them.

After some more research on here I found a couple of helpful threads, seems we need to have English Land Law, you can do a GDL for that subject, and after that you can go into the LPC. The LPC seems just as expensive as BHP but there seems to be a lot more firms willing to pay for this, I wonder how difficult it is to break in over there.

MODS: Thread can be deleted as I have found numerous threads on the area. Couldn't find them earlier but got them now. Also there was one put up earlier that I didn't see, even if they moved it in there I wouldn't mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭rbag

Hi
    I couldn't find any of the older threads on this.

I am going straight on to the Lpc as have english land law and admin law.

rbag wrote: »
    Hi
    I couldn't find any of the older threads on this.

I am going straight on to the Lpc as have english land law and admin law.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=64142965

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=71263195

Found them, they gave me some of the info I needed, not all though. The English sites don't really say much about those with Irish Law Degree's so I suppose I may give them a ring, I'll be giving breaking into the law scene in Ireland a go over the next year as I started the FE1's but it's a back up option if things aren't looking good in a year or so, especially the part time options as that gives you the option to get work there and get through the legal qualifications and then at least you'd be living in the UK instead of stuck here.

As I said could be a good idea if things don't look good for me in a year or so here. Do the GDL thing, seems like I'd only have to do land law and admin, not sure about public law, and hopefully work whilst doing that and hopefully try get a firm to sponsor/give me a TC for when I would be ready to start the LPC.

Anyway I'll see how it goes here for another while, just nosing about for the moment really, I'd say we would have to ring them to find out exactly what we would have to do.

Admin law is a facet of public law which encompasses constitutional also. Good luck with it, it's something I've considered myself but I'll see how things go.

• Advertisement

godeas16 wrote: »
    Admin law is a facet of public law which encompasses constitutional also. Good luck with it, it's something I've considered myself but I'll see how things go.

Thanks, yeah I'm just looking at it for the moment, said I'd have a read around about it and see if anyone here has any info.

I'll be the same as you, see how things go here for the next while.

As I said earlier it's the certificate of academic standing which is the first step, it can be applied for via the SRA, I never got one as kind of in limbo with no law degree and half the fe1s.

Advertisement