Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Workstation Build

Options
  • 15-05-2012 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

Looking at building my first workstation for college. At the moment im using an i3-330M inspiron laptop with integrated graphics. Ive had it for a few years and it just isnt cutting it with Rhino, 3DS Max, Photoshop etc. Im quite a 3D modelling enthusiasts but the main decision I cant make is whether or not to go for a GeForce 670 / 680 2/4Gb or a Quadro 2000 / 4000. Although I would rather spend a little extra to have a nice set up, Im not sure that I need the Quadro.

The set up I was thinking of was something like this:

Intel Core i7-3770K (overclocked)
    ASUS P8Z77-PRO
    16GB Corsair Vengeance - 12800 (2x8Gb)
    EVGA GeForce GTX 670 Superclocked 2048 MB

Also liquid cooling, nice case, small SSD and 500GB hard disk etc.

But my main worry is the graphics card. Any ideas? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Do you know what graphics cards are supported under 3DS Max? I'm going to be investing in a workstation-type build over the Summer, so I'd love an answer to this as well. So far I haven't been able to get a clear one.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭heid

Depends on how complex the models/simulations are?

I know that newer versons of 3ds max, they have released Nitrous graphic core, so no need for quadro cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Osmosae

heid wrote: »
    I know that newer versons of 3ds max, they have released Nitrous graphic core, so no need for quadro cards.

I dont know if thats true. Nitrous is a cool new feature, but i dunno if it will bridge the gap in performance between quadro's and geforce's in 3d design.

Rather than guess though, is there any1 here with a 6xx card (and a copy of max or maya) ? I have a quadro 4000, we could directly test both in 2011 and 2012, and see how they compare directly and how this new nitrous feature really benefits.

EDIT: I havent been able to play with the 2012 release really at all, so i genuinely dont know, the above wasnt a smug response :D

EDIT2: I meant 2013 :)

I have a copy of 3DS 2013, but sadly not a 600 series card. (yet)

what card ya got serephucus ?

• Advertisement

GTX 580 (1.5GB version)

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Yakuza42

Hi Guys,

The main difference comes when dealing with compute - heavy applications. As far as I know there would be no difference in the viewports, and the gaming card might even have the edge. This is not my main concern, as I am going to go with a workstation card anyway. The FirePro line and the Quadro line have Stream Processors and CUDA cores, respectively, designed specifically for rendering accurate stills, Maxwell, Softimage etc.

My problem is that I use Vray and Rhino etc at the moment, but am not sure what programs I will use in the future, although they will be similar. To me, the FirePro V5900 seems just as good as the Quadro, considering the rpice difference. And as this is my first built, Im trying to keep the costs within reason (1500 - 2000).

Basically, does anyone know if its worth getting a Quadro over a FirePro or even something like a 670 or 680.

heid wrote: »
    Depends on how complex the models/simulations are?

I use Grasshopper and Rhino to create my models. My last one was something like 250,000 polygons. Not too bad but my laptop just couldnt handle it. I spent around 50% of my time waiting for the laptop. That was the last project of the year but as I am doing my thesis next year on computational and parametric design in architecture, I will be creating increasingly complex models and need something that I can rely on to eat through them. :)

The GTX line also uses CUDA cores. As far as I know, the only difference between the two lines is in drivers. At least that was the case with the GTX 480, not sure about the 5/680.

Serephucus wrote: »
    The GTX line also uses CUDA cores. As far as I know, the only difference between the two lines is in drivers. At least that was the case with the GTX 480, not sure about the 5/680.

Hmm..I wonder if a 6xx would do me fine so...considering that although the models are complex they maybe dont require a Quadro etc.

• Advertisement

Yakuza42 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

The main difference comes when dealing with compute - heavy applications. As far as I know there would be no difference in the viewports, and the gaming card might even have the edge. This is not my main concern, as I am going to go with a workstation card anyway. The FirePro line and the Quadro line have Stream Processors and CUDA cores, respectively, designed specifically for rendering accurate stills, Maxwell, Softimage etc.

My problem is that I use Vray and Rhino etc at the moment, but am not sure what programs I will use in the future, although they will be similar. To me, the FirePro V5900 seems just as good as the Quadro, considering the rpice difference. And as this is my first built, Im trying to keep the costs within reason (1500 - 2000).

Basically, does anyone know if its worth getting a Quadro over a FirePro or even something like a 670 or 680.

I use Maya, not 3ds Max, so my findings don't necessarily March up. But viewport performance is greatly improved in Maya from a quadro over a geforce.

3d s Max is now direct x rather than opengl though isn't it ? That being the case; the quadro's might not offer anywhere near the same performance boost. Also nvidia haven't released their performance drivers for the software yet so it's doubtful the quadro would be better. That's what it's come down to in the past is driver support, and nvidia crippling the geforce cards. Since nitrous though, who knows what will
    happen, it may be well worth going for a geforce, rather than spending all that money on a quadro

The above is true for 3ds Max, i still think a quadro is worth it for Maya (but would be happy to test with anyone to make sure - I'd much rather a geforce card so i could play games at the same time :D). Don't use rhino so can't compare, n I'm more orientated to mental ray sorry bud

Osmosae wrote: »
    I use Maya, not 3ds Max, so my findings don't necessarily March up. But viewport performance is greatly improved in Maya from a quadro over a geforce.

3d s Max is now direct x rather than opengl though isn't it ? That being the case; the quadro's might not offer anywhere near the same performance boost. Also nvidia haven't released their performance drivers for the software yet so it's doubtful the quadro would be better. That's what it's come down to in the past is driver support, and nvidia crippling the geforce cards. Since nitrous though, who knows what will
    happen, it may be well worth going for a geforce, rather than spending all that money on a quadro

The above is true for 3ds Max, i still think a quadro is worth it for Maya (but would be happy to test with anyone to make sure - I'd much rather a geforce card so i could play games at the same time :D). Don't use rhino so can't compare, n I'm more orientated to mental ray sorry bud

Cool man thanks. Such a headwreckin job trying to pick a card. :/ haha

Did a little more digging, i don't think Nvidia even released a performance driver for 3d Max 2012 :eek:, so considering that, you might indeed be better off going for a geforce. Try and look into that if u can, if they arent releasing performance drivers anymore, then it makes no sense to buy a quadro really.

Advertisement