Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skerries Community college closed to sixth years?

Options
  • 15-05-2012 2:59pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anyone hear about this? saw it on the skerries fb page. Whats the nature of the disturbance!?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭xxkarenxx

Morphéus wrote: »
    Anyone hear about this? saw it on the skerries fb page. Whats the nature of the disturbance!?

They always chuck the sixth years out early and without notice so they can't cause too much chaos in the last few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭xxkarenxx

Actually was just speaking to my sister who said a number of students were throwing eggs and flour at staff, students and houses. They have been told their graduation is cancelled which is disappointing for the students who did nothing wrong.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Ridiculous if true. Stink bombs was about the height of it when I was there. No need for flour and that.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

The text of the letter from the principal to parents is on the Skerries FB page. "Health & Safety" issues were mentioned. I'd say a few of the kids went too far.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Checked with a relative of mine who's a staff member there.

Much ado over nothing according to him, he's heard nothing about the graduation being cancelled.

Also I'd imagine he'd know all about any damage that was caused as he'd probably be the one who'd have to clean it up.

Wait and see till the morning to see if this is true or not I'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

Every year, the 6 yrs do something.Id say that happens in everyschool.In my sons school, that I wont name ...someone left a present , a big brown smelly one on the windowcil of the gents:eek:

Kids will be kids.:D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

Not today's kids. many of them have far less respect for boundaries and whats acceptable than previous generations. Feel sorry for the kids who weren't involved if its cancelled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 spaldie

I live near the school and saw gangs of yobs chanting, carrying on and generally behaving well on the wrong side of 'high spirits'. More like the high spirits associated with soccer crowds looking for a ruck. I wouldn't fancy getting in the way of eggs thrown by 17 and 18-year old males. Lots of younger kids potentially caught in the way and risk of serious injury would be my guess at the 'health & safety issues' comment. The guards had to be called. One of my kids is affected by the cancelled graduation and it is very upsetting. I agree it is hard on those that did nothing, but the yobs need to know that there are consequences to such behaviour. I hope someone filmed it and can identify individuals so the sanctions can be applied selectively rather than punishing the whole graduating class.
    As for the person who works at the school and says it is much ado about nothing, I can only hope they didn't see the true extent of it. If they did and that is still their opinion, I'm not sure they are in the right job.

I was on the blowere to home last night & my kid brother (who is in 6th year) is royally pee'd off about this. Himself & his mates have been working hard on organisation of the graduation ceremony over the past months.

Now that effort has all gone to waste & also the entire year has to suffer the consequences of the few gobsh1tes who went too far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 spaldie

Agreed. I hope they get something sorted out before the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭NorthDub

totally unfair that the actions of a few mindless idiots affect the hardworking kids who were looking forward to their graduation

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

spaldie wrote: »
    I live near the school and saw gangs of yobs chanting, carrying on and generally behaving well on the wrong side of 'high spirits'. More like the high spirits associated with soccer crowds looking for a ruck. I wouldn't fancy getting in the way of eggs thrown by 17 and 18-year old males. Lots of younger kids potentially caught in the way and risk of serious injury would be my guess at the 'health & safety issues' comment. The guards had to be called. One of my kids is affected by the cancelled graduation and it is very upsetting. I agree it is hard on those that did nothing, but the yobs need to know that there are consequences to such behaviour. I hope someone filmed it and can identify individuals so the sanctions can be applied selectively rather than punishing the whole graduating class.
    As for the person who works at the school and says it is much ado about nothing, I can only hope they didn't see the true extent of it. If they did and that is still their opinion, I'm not sure they are in the right job.

I was chatting to a Skerries man tonight and this is more or less his view also. He said it was plain yobbish behaviour and a total lack of respect. I have never heard of this happening before only 6th years going on a right bender and getting tanked up on cans.

As mentioned there was always antics from 6th years but this has got out of hand and the people who done this need to pay a heavy price. Agree with Northdub It will be tough on the kids who were not involved but if the principle backs down what will or could next year bring? A teachers car damaged? window broken? There will be more gob****es to fill the shoes.

My guess is the principle will back down for the good kids sake but id imagine a game of chess will take place until the kids involved are in the principles office.

As for the staff member saying much ado about nothing.......
    From Hearald.ie
    http://www.herald.ie/news/gardai-are-called-in-as-pupils-run-amok-3110175.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 ThatGuy93

They're talking about it on the FM104 phoneshow at the moment for anyone interested: http://www.fm104.ie/boxtube/

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭NoHarm1994

ThatGuy93 wrote: »
    They're talking about it on the FM104 phoneshow at the moment for anyone interested: http://www.fm104.ie/boxtube/

Great shout ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭AllyMcFearless

I'm a sixth year student in the school, and would like to say how ridiculously out of proportion this has gotten!

There was maybe 70 eggs thrown, none at houses or causing the 'large-scale damage' that apparently occurred. I,along with the majority of my peers, had NOTHING to do with this childish carry on and see it as very unfair that our graduation is completely cancelled.

I've spent six years in the school, and to end it on such a negative note is horrible when I've never put a toe out of line and was looking forward to saying proper goodbyes to my teachers on Sunday.

Was also on the FM104 complaining about this and the horrible reputation my year have now gotten!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭UL_heart_throb

who or what were you throwing the eggs at?

Morphéus wrote: »
    Not today's kids. many of them have far less respect for boundaries and whats acceptable than previous generations. Feel sorry for the kids who weren't involved if its cancelled.

Bull ****. This youth of the day thing is absolute nonsense.

who or what were you throwing the eggs at?

I didn't throw any eggs, only a minority of students did. Mainly just around the school grounds, there was a few thrown at students but there was nothing malicious, and certainly not this 'mob culture' that is being talked about!

Like was it like a egg throwing fight between a few lad or where there lads pegging it around in cars flinging them at randomers?

Or did they just throw it at buildings?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,829 ✭✭✭✭briany

cathy01 wrote: »
    Every year, the 6 yrs do something.Id say that happens in everyschool.In my sons school, that I wont name ...someone left a present , a big brown smelly one on the windowcil of the gents:eek:

Kids will be kids.:D

It's kind of a tradition for the sixth years to pull a prank but there's no need for scatological vandalism or general yobbery. Ideally the big prank would be something a bit creative and interesting. I remember the big prank in my year was that somebody smashed in the windows of the prefabs the night before and the principal lecturing us that whoever was responsible would sit their LC under watch of a garda ( somehow I doubt the guilty parties would be sitting the thing at all). Probably where it all started going downhill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

spaldie wrote: »

Oh for goodness sake, it was eggs not bricks.. and yes those involved, if it got out of hand, should be punished. This heavy-hand reaction from school management sounds like something out of the 1950s :rolleyes:

Cancelling the graduation for all the students is beyond unfair and smacks of poor classroom/school management: punish everyone in the class when 3 or 4 kids misbehave. School and education should be about fairness and treating kids with the respect they deserve. Ban those involved from the graduation, sure, but not those kids who have worked hard for 6 years and have every right to celebrate the end of secondary school.

If I was a parent of a well-behaved, responsible student, I would be kicking up an enormous fuss. I hope for all the decent kids' sake they reverse this decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Kumsheen

Mr.Wemmick wrote: »
    Oh for goodness sake, it was eggs not bricks.. .

Do you not remember this. A nurse was hit in the eye with an egg.
    "The lens of her left eye was almost completely destroyed. She lost all sight in the eye, had to get a prosthetic cover fitted and was told there was a chance the eye might have to be removed in the future."

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/courts/youth-blinded-nurse-in-egging-attack-from-car-1935802.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

I am sure an egg or any object thrown with deliberate intent can harm.. but these kids didn't do that, did they?

So with regard to SCC students - the egg throwing few need to be dealt with separately and the kids who deserve their Graduation party should be having it as planned on Sunday.

A poor advertisement for the school IMO - not the egg throwing but the decision to punish all. Hopefully, common sense and respect for the good kids of the school will prevail here, and they will be allowed their day of well-earned celebration.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 KingKongMofo

Typical of the school, punish hundreds of students because of a few acting out, when to be honest most of the teachers would know who was in involved anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

eggs were thrown at teachers and the newspapers gave the impression that randomers were attacked. the best way to thank teachers is to throw eggs at them, possibly wrecking their clothes and causing possible eye damage. great craic. who sold or gave the kids the eggs? mummy and daddy have their part to play here.

If someone (even a teenager) buys a lot of eggs - it would be fair to assume that they may be baking a lot of meringues or having a pancake party. :)

Fuinseog wrote: »
    eggs were thrown at teachers and the newspapers gave the impression that randomers were attacked. the best way to thank teachers is to throw eggs at them, possibly wrecking their clothes and causing possible eye damage. great craic. who sold or gave the kids the eggs? mummy and daddy have their part to play here.

Both newspapers completely exaggerated it. As I said, I'm a sixth year student from SCC.

There was no eye damage or any other lasting damage, other than a few dirty uniforms.

I completely agree though - pranks are meant to be funny; eggs aren't. But eggs are a popular choice as they're so readily available and require no real effort, other than purchasing and throwing.

Most of the culprits were ratted out today, but the graduation is still off and won't be put back on. I understand the school's point of view though to be fair, it was an unprovoked attack.

Just annoyed that after six years, this is how my second-level education ends :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

If someone (even a teenager) buys a lot of eggs - it would be fair to assume that they may be baking a lot of meringues or having a pancake party. :)

But they would also need to be buying a bag of flour or cakemix:D
    Both newspapers completely exaggerated it. As I said, I'm a sixth year student from SCC.

There was no eye damage or any other lasting damage, other than a few dirty uniforms.

I completely agree though - pranks are meant to be funny; eggs aren't. But eggs are a popular choice as they're so readily available and require no real effort, other than purchasing and throwing.

Most of the culprits were ratted out today, but the graduation is still off and won't be put back on. I understand the school's point of view though to be fair, it was an unprovoked attack.

Just annoyed that after six years, this is how my second-level education ends :(

As I stated earlier I hope for the sake of good students the graduation goes ahead. I think the primciple will back down.

However on a serious note, eggs can do serious damage to property. On liveline or some programme a week or 2 ago it was stated houses are getting destroyed with eggs. They soak right into masonary work and are hard to remove.

With all the education the egg throwers have recieved could they not have used flour bombs. I was reminded today of an incidentwhere 6th year kids removed loads of chairs from an assembly hall and blocked the teachers cars from getting out of a school carpark the hub caps were also removed. That was a laugh, no harm done

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

That, to be fair, is taking a sixth-year prank a bit too far. I've hear all the favourites - the best being to release four animals numbered 1,2 4 and 5 ;)

I habd no hand act or part in my year's pranks, which included building a small wall (without mortar) and filling the Guidance Counsellor's entire office to chest-height with baloons.

• Advertisement

I'm actually viewing the situation in a different light now. We were told to go home at 11:30 after a guy dressed up as Scream and ran round the corridors. Teachers laughed at that, no harm done.

I think the main issue is that at lunch time (1:10) students returned and attacked the school, completely unprovoked. And when it's in a public estate and a resident rings the Gardaí, I guess it has to be taken more seriously.

We've organized an alternate graduation ceremony on Sunday though, so not all is lost!

Advertisement