Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Takeaways and Restaurants in Monaghan Town

Options
  • 15-05-2012 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭

So most of the other regions have their definitive list of takeaways/restaurants, and I do believe Monaghan has some of the best places to eat in Ireland!!
    Feel free to add to the below list..and argue!

Pizza D'or-Best pizza in Ireland-FACT. (delivers to Town only)
    Located at entrance to most popular nightclub, it does a tidy trade weekend nights, and is always full on a Sunday evening! Pizza Hot undoubtedly the best, although I have a weak spot for the Hawaiin and Pepperoni. The only thing they lack is a seating area for eating in.

Master Deery's-Restauarant and Bar Food
    Steak is good, they really took advantage of the squealing pig shutting down. The steak is excellent, and menu choice wide and varied. They will also usually make up any special requests. Place is always heaving on weekends, with good service and a good vibe. Place to go!!

Eastern Balti-Indian Restaurant/Takeaway
    There was some discussion on Trip Advisor that this could be the best Indian food in Ireland..I don't like spicy food, or strange food in general, but I LOVE this Indian. The interior is gorgeous, attention to detail second to none. The bathrooms are a must-see. Now there have been problems, as it is so busy, they have a bad habit of rushing peple and asking them to move when their meal is finished. Related to this is that you are most likely going to be waiting a long time before you are seated, and longer before you will actually be eating. The portions are ok, enough to fill you, but never be stuffed! I have to admit,,I have been sick twice after this restaurant, but I still go back. Is it that I can't be sure it's the food? Is it the free drink at the end of your meal? Or is it that my sister won't eat anywhere else? I'll leave it up to you to decide.

Andy's Bar and Restaurant
    This place is adorned with prizes for best restaurant, best food blah blah. I used to work here, and as a consequence to that, havn't stepped foot in it since! I hear the food is nice though.

Mr K's Chinese-Restaurant and Take-Away
    This is my Chinese of choice, it is well maintained, looks good with nioce decor. Food is good-not as good as it used to be, but still ok. Chinese tastes the same everywhere??

Other Chineses- I don't eat in so will rely on others for their opinions.

The Plaza-Restaurant
    Newly open Italian, I wasn't terribly impressed to be honest. Menu very small, and comes in a document holder that you wouldn't hand up a project in. The tables are all crammed together, and service was very slow when we were there, but to be fair, someone had called in sick. The food when it arrived did taste fabulous, but this may be due to the deep frying and layers of sauce more so than any cooking expertise. Desserts nice, I probably won't be back, as other places are just better.

Monte Carlo-Take-Away
    Best chips in Ireland-FACT. Although very pricey!! If you are going to treat yourself to a big bag of chips, look no further. Absolutely jammed every day of the year, they don't even bother opening for the nightclub/bar trade because they do so well. Chicken burgers are my favourite, as well as all the usual suspects.

Tommy's Take Away and Diner/Restaurant
    Wouldn't really call it a restaurant, more so a diner for a good hearty feed.
    Tommy's has an advantage over it's Monte neighbours in that you can sit down and eat a good feed, including lasagnes, goujons etc etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭writhen

Catxscotch wrote: »
    Monte Carlo-Take-Away
    Best chips in Ireland-FACT. Although very pricey!! If you are going to treat yourself to a big bag of chips, look no further. Absolutely jammed every day of the year, they don't even bother opening for the nightclub/bar trade because they do so well. Chicken burgers are my favourite, as well as all the usual suspects.

I find their chips to be not very nice at all. The Europa has way superior chips. Also for pizza I like Little Neroni on Glaslough Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

Big fan of Eastern Balti, as is herself. Wouldn't have a bad word to say about it, food is great, always decent portions and dinner usually ends with complimentary drink. Never been rushed from my table either, great spot.

Deery's is also top notch, very nice steaks and very extensive menu. Nice vibe about the pub and restaurant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭hattoncracker

I don't get home to Monaghan very often, but I went to Little Neroni's for pizza the last time I was home.. It was beautiful! Had the seafood one..

Also love the Monte, there's nothing in the rest of the country that can beat a chicken fillet burger and chips and a can of club lemon from there! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1 LLB89

Definitely agree that the Eastern Balti is a brilliant place. Great atmosphere, great food and just all around good place to eat.

However, have to strongly disagree with you with regards to The Plaza restaurant. Firstly, it's not an Italian. Menu may be small but it seems to change regularly. The food does taste fabulous so why blame it on being fried? I thoroughly enjoy it. Think the atmosphere is great and it's wonderful to see a new business opening up in Monaghan!

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Catxscotch

LLB89 wrote: »
    Definitely agree that the Eastern Balti is a brilliant place. Great atmosphere, great food and just all around good place to eat.

However, have to strongly disagree with you with regards to The Plaza restaurant. Firstly, it's not an Italian. Menu may be small but it seems to change regularly. The food does taste fabulous so why blame it on being fried? I thoroughly enjoy it. Think the atmosphere is great and it's wonderful to see a new business opening up in Monaghan!

I do like how you signed up to boards especially just to post this comment..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Have to agree with others on Eastern Balti house....an amazing dining experience all round. My aunt and uncle who live in France and spend most of their time in Michelen starred and top class restaurants love this place and say it is one of the best places they have ever eaten. The service is delightful and they can't be more helpful. My favourite place on the planet for a yummy dinner.

I also have to say that I love Little Neroni's and find it really reasonable and tasty.

Its hard to beat the Westenra Arms Hotel's carvery for a midweek lunch though as the food is just great and you be stuffed for the day!

My favourite chinese is golden dragon for a quick take out or late nite sit in but if you want a good cheap nite out in a chinese it is hard to beat Full House for their all you can eat type deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭discobeaker

Witchie wrote: »
    My favourite chinese is golden dragon for a quick take out or late nite sit in but if you want a good cheap nite out in a chinese it is hard to beat Full House for their all you can eat type deal.

Got the worst case of food poisoning from the Golden Dragon about 10 years ago and i have not ventured back and wont. For me.... Hang Fung is the best chinese (sauce can be a tad salty though)

Oh,and the Kebab shop across from the cinema is pretty darn nice.

And i believe our world famous Mon Dogs deserve a mention.... What do ya think Witchie???? RIP the Mon Dogs :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭robo

I was in Monaghan town last Sunday for the first time & walked by Monte Carlo...wasn't that hungry, but I was a few feet after walking by the shop door. Had to pop in for a bag of chips with loads of salt n'vinegar! YUM! They would rank as the best chippers in Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Froggy123

Catxscotch wrote: »
    So most of the other regions have their definitive list of takeaways/restaurants, and I do believe Monaghan has some of the best places to eat in Ireland!!
    Feel free to add to the below list..and argue!

Pizza D'or-Best pizza in Ireland-FACT. (delivers to Town only)
    Located at entrance to most popular nightclub, it does a tidy trade weekend nights, and is always full on a Sunday evening! Pizza Hot undoubtedly the best, although I have a weak spot for the Hawaiin and Pepperoni. The only thing they lack is a seating area for eating in.

Master Deery's-Restauarant and Bar Food
    Steak is good, they really took advantage of the squealing pig shutting down. The steak is excellent, and menu choice wide and varied. They will also usually make up any special requests. Place is always heaving on weekends, with good service and a good vibe. Place to go!!

Eastern Balti-Indian Restaurant/Takeaway
    There was some discussion on Trip Advisor that this could be the best Indian food in Ireland..I don't like spicy food, or strange food in general, but I LOVE this Indian. The interior is gorgeous, attention to detail second to none. The bathrooms are a must-see. Now there have been problems, as it is so busy, they have a bad habit of rushing peple and asking them to move when their meal is finished. Related to this is that you are most likely going to be waiting a long time before you are seated, and longer before you will actually be eating. The portions are ok, enough to fill you, but never be stuffed! I have to admit,,I have been sick twice after this restaurant, but I still go back. Is it that I can't be sure it's the food? Is it the free drink at the end of your meal? Or is it that my sister won't eat anywhere else? I'll leave it up to you to decide.

Andy's Bar and Restaurant
    This place is adorned with prizes for best restaurant, best food blah blah. I used to work here, and as a consequence to that, havn't stepped foot in it since! I hear the food is nice though.

Mr K's Chinese-Restaurant and Take-Away
    This is my Chinese of choice, it is well maintained, looks good with nioce decor. Food is good-not as good as it used to be, but still ok. Chinese tastes the same everywhere??

Other Chineses- I don't eat in so will rely on others for their opinions.

The Plaza-Restaurant
    Newly open Italian, I wasn't terribly impressed to be honest. Menu very small, and comes in a document holder that you wouldn't hand up a project in. The tables are all crammed together, and service was very slow when we were there, but to be fair, someone had called in sick. The food when it arrived did taste fabulous, but this may be due to the deep frying and layers of sauce more so than any cooking expertise. Desserts nice, I probably won't be back, as other places are just better.

Monte Carlo-Take-Away

Tommy's Take Away and Diner/Restaurant
    Wouldn't really call it a restaurant, more so a diner for a good hearty feed.
    Tommy's has an advantage over it's Monte neighbours in that you can sit down and eat a good feed, including lasagnes, goujons etc etc.

I have to say I love this post!! Completely agree with all of the above apart from not coming out of the eastern balti stuffed! I'm always filled to bursting with all of the delicious food!!

Would have to add that the full house chinese down dublin st. is really good:) They have a really good menu, food is delicious and it is incredibly reasonably priced. Always packed when i go in there on a saturday! They also have a really good deal for during the week where you can get an assortment of starters and a main meal for 10 euros...Can't beat that really:cool:

As for Andy's the food is delicious!

As you can probably tell, I think Monaghan has some of the best restaurants in Ireland! Hidden treasures if you ask me:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5 EvilMonkley

I reckon the Europa does the best chips in town. You can't beat one of there fillet boxes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Catxscotch

I had another trip into the Eastern Balti House on Saturday night..I have to say I was really delighted with my meal. The place was jammed, I mean they were queueing 4 abreast at the door. There were only 2 of us, and we had no booking, but they managed to squeeze us in straight away! They made up a couple of makeshift tables in any available space they had. Some people may not have been impressed with this, but as far as Im concerned, if you want to eat there, and enjoy the atmosphere, who cares where you are seated??!!

The food came out looking and tasting gorgeous, we were given a free naan bread to apologise that it was only a makeshift table, as well as a complimentary drink at the end!
    Bravo to the guy who runs this place, he really looks after his customers, good business sense, that's what I call it!

Advertisement