Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Monitored Alarm System

Options
  • 15-05-2012 3:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭

So, we have a wireless monitored alarm fitted by Eircom Phonewatch in 1995. We're currently looking at upgrading our system. Basically, we want to move completely away from eircom, both phonewatch and broadband.

Can anybody recommend a system for me, and a good monitoring company.

We have 12 window sensors, two door sensors, three motion sensors, and I want to connect two rooflights to the alarm. Also what are peoples opinions on GSM diallers, personally I'd like to avoid them and hook up the system to UPC.

BTW we're based in Dublin, if that makes any difference. Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Any licenced company can provide you with monitoring.
    There is a link to the PSA register of licenced installers here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056242435

My advice is get yourself 3 quotes & compare like with like.
    After been with Eircom you know the pit falls to look out for.
    Is there a live external bell included.?
    Are all accessible windows & doors covered by sensors & contacts?
    Is there at least 2 PiRs?
    What's covered by Service/Maintenance & Monitoring Package.
    Some companies give you cheaper but will charge you for additional call outs or callouts that last over a set time.
    Annual maintenance should be just that, a flat annual service fee with parts the only extra.
    Insist on a physical survey of your property. That way they can't surprise you with extras on missed windows etc....
    Make sure you get all this information in writing as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Thanks for your help KoolKid I'll look at my options.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Your welcome. Let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

mmcn90 wrote: »
    So, we have a wireless monitored alarm fitted by Eircom Phonewatch in 1995. We're currently looking at upgrading our system. Basically, we want to move completely away from eircom, both phonewatch and broadband.

Can anybody recommend a system for me, and a good monitoring company.

We have 12 window sensors, two door sensors, three motion sensors, and I want to connect two rooflights to the alarm. Also what are peoples opinions on GSM diallers, personally I'd like to avoid them and hook up the system to UPC.

BTW we're based in Dublin, if that makes any difference. Thanks

Depending on the system you have installed it may just be possible to move the monitoring to another monitoring station and add the extra sensors to the alarm system you have.

Do you know what system you have installed?

We could definitely add the two sensors, recently added a few sensors when we built an extension, I dont know the name of the system we have installed. I'd like to look into the cost of replacing the system though, because as I said, its ancient.

• Advertisement

We could definitely add the two sensors, recently added a few sensors when we built an extension, I dont know the name of the system we have installed. I'd like to look into the cost of replacing the system though, because as I said, its ancient.

If you post a picture more than happy to tell you the system.
    If it is a concord then you could update the system to a NX10 system and use the sensors you have installed already, this would cut the cost of buying all new sensors. If it is a classic then you would need to replace the whole system.

Hi Altor,

This is the box, I found a picture of it on another thread

131398.jpg

I'm guessing it's the classic system, would this need a complete upgrade?

Bin :D

Your right, it is an old system.
    I would recommend a new system also.
    Plenty of good deals around so shop around and get everything in writing.

Thats what I thought, thanks for your help.

Thats what I thought, thanks for your help.

Your welcome, there is an option to upgrade using a concord and receiver to pick up the old sensors but that too is an old system so replacing the whole system will save you in the long run.

• Advertisement
Advertisement