Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Digital Rights Forum... Online Privacy.... a chance to throw sticky buns.

• 15-05-2012 4:03pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

So, since you all got such a giggle from the last one... they've invited the performing chimp (me!) back to shout and point and rave this time about Digital Privacy.

Also speaking, probably more coherently and with fewer gun metaphors, will be the Irish Data Commissioner himself (!) and Paul C Dwyer from Security GRC & Cyber Threat Advisor.

http://www.sciencegallery.com/events/2012/05/digital-rights-forum-online-privacy

Tickets are free but need to be applied for.
    Friday at 5.45 to about 7.45... then pub. Well, for me, you can do whatever you feel like...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I take it sherlock is giving this one a miss?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

DrumSteve wrote: »
    I take it sherlock is giving this one a miss?
    So it would seem. Enda has Vincent Browne, Sherlock has me :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

DeVore wrote: »
    So it would seem. Enda has Vincent Browne, Sherlock has me :p

You did bear a slight resembelence to Vino alright.

The last one was a great debate (by great, I mean most is not all of his arguments were demolished).

I just get the feeling this will make no difference to him, but at least it's being discussed.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

This one is on digital privacy and I'm actually very keen to hear from the Commissioner about things like the ESB register being used to chase down the household charge (which is, imho, scandalous abuse of private data).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

best of luck Devore.... i hope your getting fake nails for this one to scratch out their eyes ;)

remember if they can't see it happen it didnt happen ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Speaker: Could you please provide your stance on Privacy?
    Debatee: If I did it'd go agianst my ideals on Privacy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

This one should be very interesting actually. I hate some of the practices that facebook and google implement.

Me too... Its one of the things I'm most proud of in Boards is that we never sold the email address list or any personal data. Its f*ckin' creepy what FB do imho, but people buy into it... *shrug*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,270 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Another one you might be interested in chasing up would be the data of citizens utilizing Dublin City Council's waste collection services which were sold/given to Greyhound.

Me too... Its one of the things I'm most proud of in Boards is that we never sold the email address list or any personal data. Its f*ckin' creepy what FB do imho, but people buy into it... *shrug*

The data they collect through cookies and IP lookups sends shivers down my spine, even though it's not that much of a big deal. But I know I get recommended friend options for people I work with even though I never stated where I work. And also while one of the lads was setting up a work fb page, it automatically recommended him a list of friends, some based on his own friends list even though he was logged out from his own account.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

Don't waste the sticky buns..nom, nom:D

Best of luck with it and play a blinder like the last time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

I'd be curious about ISP data retention in Ireland: Under what conditions can ISP's share retained data with authorities, and on what occasions has this happened in the past?

This is a very old article, but noteworthy:
    http://www.digitalrights.ie/2006/04/11/data-protection-commissioners-annual-report-dris-response/

A more recent article:
    http://www.independent.ie/business/technology/in-a-state-of-surveillance-1301589.html

There appears to be an extremely low barrier to access for some very private information there.

I read up a lot on this general topic in the case of the US mainly, as the extent of surveillance is absolutely crazy over there (and is a template for what will happen in the UK and here), but don't know a lot about the state of things in Ireland; should be an interesting talk!

An example of the state of things in the US:
    http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2012/03/ff_nsadatacenter/

Where are my sticky buns, I'm hungry

good luck with it dev you did well at the last one

I'd be curious about ISP data retention in Ireland: Under what conditions can ISP's share retained data with authorities, and on what occasions has this happened in the past?
    by law, anyone business who hosts an open wifi spot must collect and retain the mac addresses off all devices that connect, for a min 12 months. That's just for mobile phones, for laptops and tablets it's longer.

This info is collected so it can be readily obtained by authorities.

I dont have so much of a problem about having to hold records in case someone uses your systems to break the law (Boards keeps records of IPs etc). I have a problem with laws are passed allowing free interception of communications and data gathering with very little oversight... or when data is passed on for uses it was never collected for (EG: the ESB connection data being used to collect household charge taxes... thats blatant breach of the DPA but the DPC was run-over by the government effectively).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭SolarNexus

Tickets are free but need to be applied for.
    Friday at 5.45 to about 7.45... then pub. Well, for me, you can do whatever you feel like...

Just to clarify: doors open at 6:15 to start letting people in and we'll start at 6:30 (ish), we have to stop by around 7:50 as The Science Gallery has to close doors at 8:00pm

Sean

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Places booked, looking forward to it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

Sure who needs to sell your email list when hackers can just hack into boards like before and get the info..

meh

Anyone who's on the internet long enough gets attacked and as time extends the probability of being hacked approachs 1.

Getting in isnt a problem, getting away with it is the trick... so keep watching because that incident isnt over yet.

Besides, I don't see what that has to be with digital privacy? Do you?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I brought ACTA to the attention of Boards over 2 1/2 years ago when it was unheard of, it was taken lightly as you can see from posts.

There is a far more worrying bill on the horizon which will no doubt end up on this side of the Atlantic. (Possibly through a cyber blamed false flag ie CIA "underwear bomber" style.)

CISPA is basically a spying tool for the authorities to enable private companies help weed out and report those that speak their mind "terrorists" in society at the press of a button.

An update for those following the event:

The live stream will be available here: http://digitalrightsforum.com/live.html

and we'll have a TweetWall tracking the discussion on Twitter here: http://drf2012.zoomero.com/

Tickets are still available here: http://www.sciencegallery.com/events/2012/05/digital-rights-forum-online-privacy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

smash wrote: »
    by law, anyone business who hosts an open wifi spot must collect and retain the mac addresses off all devices that connect, for a min 12 months. That's just for mobile phones, for laptops and tablets it's longer.

This info is collected so it can be readily obtained by authorities.

Where is this law?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

Good luck today :) Looking forward to checking this out when uploaded afterwards (probably won't be around to see the livestream).

I've decided that this is a bit of a dry topic and intend to give you all a few giggles around it. Expect 5-10 minutes of goofy nerdy stand up as best I can. :)

(no angry shouty bits this time....)

I've decided that this is a bit of a dry topic and intend to give you all a few giggles around it. Expect 5-10 minutes of goofy nerdy stand up as best I can. :)

(no angry shouty bits this time....)

But the angry shouty bits were entertaining too!

Advertisement