Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning Permission Restrictions in rural Ireland

Options
  • 15-05-2012 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi,
    I have located a nice site in a country location on which i would like to build a house, and agreed a price (subject to planning) with the landowner. Normal site and location- nothing special. All good so far.

However, you need to be from the area (within 10k) before you can get planning to build a house on the site i was looking at - i have discovered. Also, if your from the nearby town ( which i am, less than 10k away from the site) it doesn’t count - as you are from a town

my query is :

1) Is this not discriminative towards town people, who want to move out to the country? County people have no trouble moving into the town??!

2) Does this not encourage Inbreeding amongst the country folk??!! - the fact that everyone building in a certain country location will be originally from 10k down the road? So , if a family of 6 children, grew up and wanted to build a house (which inevitably will happen) they would all have to build within 10k from where they were raised??!!

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Pkd

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,583 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

thats a rant, not a valid query

we will see how it develops but its already threading thin ground and is very close to being locked.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

The problem is we'd all love a big rambling house in the country on a large site - there has to be some sort of planning policy/development control - just because you can do it or can afford to do it does not mean you shoudl be allowed do it.....such is life!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

op, lets quantify your reasons for living in the sticks - this house you plan to build, will you be:
    1. working in the immediate area or driving to work?
    2. able to walk to the shops?
    3. can you walk home from the pub?
    4. can your children walk to school?
    5. can your parents or any of your family visit without driving?
    6. is there a regular bus service near your house?
    7. is there services - mains water & sewerage
    I would speculate you'll answer 'no' to most of these. this not 'discrimination' as you suggest, its common sense - you don't need a green field site in the back of beyonds. imo stay in town where you belongwink.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 22 PKD

BryanF wrote: »
    op, lets quantify your reasons for living in the sticks - this house you plan to build, will you be:

ok, so living in the town has its advantages to some, and living in the country has its advantages to others. i prefer to live in the country, others will prefer to live in the town - so why not let us choose where we like. how come pople from the country are allowed live in the town?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 PKD

sydthebeat wrote: »
    thats a rant, not a valid query

QUOTE]

yes, it is a rant, but it also has a valid query - how is it going to work that a family with a few kids, all the kids who want to build a house, must build it within 10k of there home. what will the place be like within a few generations?? everyone in one location all related!!! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

PKD wrote: »
    ok, so living in the town has its advantages to some, and living in the country has its advantages to others. i prefer to live in the country, others will prefer to live in the town - so why not let us choose where we like. how come pople from the country are allowed live in the town?
    :confused: so is that a big NO to my questions above? good luck with it:D

have considered looking for a site within a village boundary, where gaining permission might be easier?

or what about buying a country cottage/ house to do up and/or extend?

Advertisement