Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

the Greeks invented being a Hero...

• 15-05-2012 4:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭

Very funny, and subtly reminding Europe where Europe came from, and who invented being a hero... Go on the lads.

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/international/greeks-apologise-with-huge-horse-2012051527146
    Greeks apologise with huge horse
    15-05-12
    THE nation of Greece said sorry to the European Union with a present of an enormous wooden horse.

In theory these would still fit
    Left outside the European Central Bank in the dead of night, the horse has now been moved into the ECB’s central lobby where it is proudly on display.

A gift tag attached to the horse, which is surprisingly light for its size and has small holes along the length of its body, suggested that it should be placed in the bank’s vaults overnight to avoid it being targeted by thieves.

Mario Draghi, President of the ECB, said: “How nice of the Greeks to acknowledge the trouble we’ve been put to on their behalf with this wonderful horse, handmade and so large it could hold a dozen double-decker buses.

“The card with it, which had a teddy bear dressed as a hobo on the front, explained that Greece made us this because they don’t have enough money for a present, which brought a tear to my eye.

“Nonetheless, unless they can somehow find €200 billion overnight then austerity measures must continue.”

Oddly, Greek representatives in Brussels have hinted that they may soon be in a position to settle their debts and have puzzled the French and German banks that hold their loans by asking if there is any discount for cash.

The government of Spain has reacted angrily to the gift, accusing the Greeks of trying to bribe the ECB and redoubling their own efforts to weave a gigantic sombrero-wearing straw donkey.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

Man, if that is for real, it is very, very funny. Good stuff. I think it makes the having to go cap in hand to the EU etc a lot more dignified.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

The bible invented being a hero... I mean, he can walk on water and come back to life ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

smash wrote: »
    The bible invented being a hero... I mean, he can walk on water and come back to life ffs.

You don't need superpowers to be a hero.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Greek heroes were fictional.

Just like their books when applying for EU membership. Trojan Horse indeed.

Pfft, Jesus? The Illiad predates that chap by 800 years, and may describe events 400 years before that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

and gayness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

OSI wrote: »
    Not sure if OP serious.

Why aren't you sure ? Anyone can seem that this is a 100% legit story :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Being a Hero and Gayness. Is there anything the Greeks cant do

.. except run a country.

and anyway, I was more making a "look at these ****ing heroes" joke.

I do genuinely think its nice they can make a funny gesture that says: hey we are in serious trouble and need help, but we don't have to do it with our tail between our legs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭General Relativity

Pfft, Jesus? The Illiad predates that chap by 800 years, and may describe events 400 years before that.

Prehaps you should READ the Illiad. The horse isn't in there. It's The Odyssey you're looking for.

• Advertisement

Prehaps you should READ the Illiad. The horse isn't in there. It's The Odyssey you're looking for.

nice try. I did a year of Classics in Trinity and got an A2 in it in the Leaving. I have studied both in fairly major detail.

Myself and the poster were talking about inventing heroes, and there are simply more of them in the Illiad. the Illiad is hero-fest and therefor was a better example for the point I was trying to make.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

chin_grin wrote: »

we need not fear the glottal stop here on the internet.

Advertisement