Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tench Awake????

Options
  • 15-05-2012 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

By this time last year i had a nice few bags of tench caught....some on the float some on the feeder....but this year i have been out twice specifically targeting tench from 4am till 10am....and once at night....but to no avail....i had a few little roach and skimmers but when handling them they wer like a block of ice....is it still too cold for them and if so how long do i have to wait to get some tinkas!??still getting down to near freezing at night and i think this is playing a key role!!!anybody have any tench this year yet and if so where and what size??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

I think it's still not warm enough to get them going early in the mornings.

The way the weather is at the moment,,I'd say it's probably closer to lunchtime before they get moving at all.

I also like to do some early morning Carp fishing,from about 5.00am onwards,,but I'm not even chancing it now..There's no sign of them moving at that hour of the morning. It's 10.00am or so before I spot them.

Middle of May now,,at the temp still only get's to 10-12 degrees during the day.

Try it a bit later in the mornings,or hold off until the overall temps rise.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

glabousky wrote: »
    By this time last year i had a nice few bags of tench caught....some on the float some on the feeder....but this year i have been out twice specifically targeting tench from 4am till 10am....and once at night....but to no avail....i had a few little roach and skimmers but when handling them they wer like a block of ice....is it still too cold for them and if so how long do i have to wait to get some tinkas!??still getting down to near freezing at night and i think this is playing a key role!!!anybody have any tench this year yet and if so where and what size??

Last couple of weeks they haven't come onto the feed until 10/11am & then only for an hour or so - hopefully if it warms they will reset their watches to Irish time !

• Registered Users Posts: 21 glabousky

thanks guys. Yeah i was thinking it still a bit too cold....the temp is rising a bit during the day but at night it is still getting down near freezing!!!heading out again this saturday but will leave it till later on in the morning!!!any tips on baits or tackle would be appreciated aswel....just use the basic float and fish 4 inches over depth....with corn/maggot/pellet...but any advice on bagging up would be great!!!which do you think is better....the float or the feeder??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

Haven't caught any myself but I have seen a few being caught in the evening, 8pm til dark when the weather is mild. Last Friday I was out fishing a prepared spot and bagged a fair few bream and some roach and perch. Was hoping for a tench as they are in that area but no joy.

COYW wrote: »
    Haven't caught any myself but I have seen a few being caught in the evening, 8pm til dark when the weather is mild. Last Friday I was out fishing a prepared spot and bagged a fair few bream and some roach and perch. Was hoping for a tench as they are in that area but no joy.

Scrap the above. Went out for a bit this evening and pulled out a tench, along with a nice bream and a roach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

There have been some good bags of Tench caught around the midlands recently.

i do most of my fishing in the north west.....its a bit colder up there i guess..evening time might be better to chance at this time of the year....going out saturday but will leave it till 7 or 8 and see what happens!!!any tips on a good bait or just stick with the norm??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

I'd say stick to what you are using...Can't go far wrong with it.

You could add some Hemp into it also,,it's a great attractor. Plus you could give bread flake a go also.

I'd only worry about the baits if you knew the Tench were there,,but you weren't getting bites.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

SexyGuy wrote: »
    I'd say stick to what you are using...Can't go far wrong with it.

You could add some Hemp into it also,,it's a great attractor. Plus you could give bread flake a go also.

I'd only worry about the baits if you knew the Tench were there,,but you weren't getting bites.

I tried maggot & corn for starters & didn't get much joy, switched to worm & once I'd got through the perch managed to get the Tench feeding

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭jodie85

Anybody know where i would pike up a pair of second hand fox warrior rods?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭jodie85

Apologies that was not meant for here.

Andip wrote: »
    I tried maggot & corn for starters & didn't get much joy

I was feeding corn & maggot last night and caught it on maggot.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭jay tipperary

Super-Rush wrote: »
    There have been some good bags of Tench caught around the midlands recently.

Hooked my first tench tuesday morning around 11am and lost him :'(

ahhh disaster jay....i know how it feels!!!!caught the tench bug a coupla years ago and losing one still gets to me!!!ha!!!cant get over how cold it is this year though!!!going to attack it hard 2moro now!!!hope to get my first tinkas of the year!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭jay tipperary

glabousky wrote: »
    ahhh disaster jay....i know how it feels!!!!caught the tench bug a coupla years ago and losing one still gets to me!!!ha!!!cant get over how cold it is this year though!!!going to attack it hard 2moro now!!!hope to get my first tinkas of the year!!!

Im gonna wait till wed thurs to go again temp is to pick up whent this morning just to get out got two roach hope ya catch few tomrrow bud :-)

out for a few hours this morning.....still no tench!!!!not a bad day though....lots of small roach/bream/rudd....had 1 lovely rudd of about a pound and a half.....and 3 nice enough bream over 4lb....but still the hunt continues for the olive green tinka!!!ha!!!was mad to catch a few 2day as i cant get out for another month!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Macspower

had a good bag 6 weeks ago on the local canal with 2 of us bagging 24 tench between us. We havn't seen a stir on the swim since. It's been producing clonker roach though.. until last night.. I was fishing for roach on a no 5 elastic when a tench took me for a walk.. I failed to land her when I hadn't the tackle to keep her out of the weed. I stepped up the gear but didn't see another one..

But the good news is they seem to be on the move again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭cdublin

Hey guys, don't mean to hijack the thread but was wondering what is the season for tench? I came across a cheap holiday home for rent on Ballyeighter Lake in Clare that comes with free use of a boat on the lake itself. The guy said that the lake has produced record tench.
    Anyway doesn't suit for June bank holiday weekend but I'd book the place in September if there was still a chance of decent Tench fishing?

Im not an expert at it but i was always told that tench are on the feed between say april/may.....until august/september....i think it really has to do with the weather....as it has been cold there hasnt been all that much tench caught....although there have been some....and the other thing is that by the time september comes around they can be harder caught in my experience....as they have been feeding for a long time already and if the lake is relatively well known they may have seen alot of bait and seen alot of action.in saying that last year i caught my first tench on the 11th of April and the last time i went for tench last year it was the beginning of october and caught 4.dont know if this helps you at all!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭mitchaul

Nice one, gonna book it, at a minimum I get to doss around in the boat for a few days for feck all!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement