Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SMS problem with Astec Fusion Alarm

Options
  • 15-05-2012 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

I have an Astec Fusion, alarm installed back in 2009. It was installed to send an SMS message on triggering or if the power is cut etc...

Lately it is failing to send the SMS messages. The line fail light is not illuminated however I have noticed previously that it was lit and then turned off after a brief period.

The service provider is Eircom and the home phone appears to send SMS without issue.

Just wondering if anybody has encountered this?

I'm thinking the failure might be due to a change to the phone line from Eircoms end as there is nothing to indicated an issue with the alarm itself, i.e. no warning on the control panel.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Have you engineer access to try a test message?
    Also try it with your broadband modem switched off.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 youngbird

KoolKid wrote: »
    Have you engineer access to try a test message?
    Also try it with your broadband modem switched off.

I've tried sending the SMS log to my mobile with the modem off - out of several attempts there was only 1 success.

Also, I've turned off the power to see if the power failure notification works - no joy there either I'm afraid.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Curious as to why it was successful once.
    Have you checked the digi connections to the panel are secure.
    Also try powering down the system completely & power back up.

I've checked the connections between the control panel and phone/dsl point. Seem to be ok. Line fault came up on the panel on removing the dsl panel, but was reset on replacement.

What's the procedure for the powering down - I presume this will involve disconnecting the backup battery?

I meant the connections from the panel to the dialler.
    To power down switch off the mains power, open the panel & disconnect the 2 battery leads. Wait a minute & power back up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Have you sufficient network coverage on your mobile. Test it to another phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

youngbird wrote: »
    I have an Astec Fusion, alarm installed back in 2009. It was installed to send an SMS message on triggering or if the power is cut etc...

Lately it is failing to send the SMS messages. The line fail light is not illuminated however I have noticed previously that it was lit and then turned off after a brief period.

The service provider is Eircom and the home phone appears to send SMS without issue.

Just wondering if anybody has encountered this?

I'm thinking the failure might be due to a change to the phone line from Eircoms end as there is nothing to indicated an issue with the alarm itself, i.e. no warning on the control panel.

Sounds like an issue with the DSL on the line. This can stop the dialer from functioning correctly. The fusion has a built in filter which may not be working correctly. If down powering and powering back up the system does not solve the issue the a new filter may, at worse the dialer may need to be replaced.

Ok guys, I've checked the following:

- Phone line connection from control panel to main board - looks fine - the connections at the control panel, phone/dsl connection and main board all seem sound.

- Mobile signal - seems ok - 4-5 bars at 3.5g. No problem with texts from landline.

- Power down - performed - but does not seem to have fixed the problem.

There are no indications of wear & tear on the dialling board and I can hear the switching on the dialler when I attempt to send an SMS (with the broadband modem off).

I had the phone/dsl connection updated after getting the alarm (~ 2009), it has an up-to-date dsl filter and a devoted connection for the alarm.

Just trying to look at all possibilities before getting an Eircom or alarm engineer out.

Thanks for the help guys!

Ok guys, I've checked the following:

- Phone line connection from control panel to main board - looks fine - the connections at the control panel, phone/dsl connection and main board all seem sound.

- Mobile signal - seems ok - 4-5 bars at 3.5g. No problem with texts from landline.

- Power down - performed - but does not seem to have fixed the problem.

There are no indications of wear & tear on the dialling board and I can hear the switching on the dialler when I attempt to send an SMS (with the broadband modem off).

I had the phone/dsl connection updated after getting the alarm (~ 2009), it has an up-to-date dsl filter and a devoted connection for the alarm.

Just trying to look at all possibilities before getting an Eircom or alarm engineer out.

Thanks for the help guys!

Can you connect a line from the main line coming into the house direct to the dialer with no Eircom filter or house phones connected and test again?

altor wrote: »
    Can you connect a line from the main line coming into the house direct to the dialer with no Eircom filter or house phones connected and test again?

I don't have the necessary tools I'm afraid - don't they used a little gadget for making the connections with the fine wires - clicks the wire into the contacts?

I could look at maybe running a length of phone line from the telephone connection at the wall directly to the dialler board and piggyback the relevant wires onto the board connections? Not sure if this is a goer?

• Advertisement

I don't have the necessary tools I'm afraid - don't they used a little gadget for making the connections with the fine wires - clicks the wire into the contacts?

I could look at maybe running a length of phone line from the telephone connection at the wall directly to the dialler board and piggyback the relevant wires onto the board connections? Not sure if this is a goer?

Depending on the socket the main line might be just connected into the L1 L2 on the back of the socket. If so and there is no other line connected you could connect the cable as you have said above. Just make sure nothing else is connected.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭El Camino

I'm having a similar SMS issue with a Powermax Complete unit. This system has a mobile SIM card installed directly within but does not appear to be sending any messages at present. Similarly, there is functionality to arm/disarm the system via SMS message but any sent messages do not appear to register at all with the system now i.e. it does not respond.

The SIM card appears to be in working order as far as the network operator are concerned. There is adequate credit etc in place.

Any ideas as to how this problem could be rectified?

El Camino wrote: »
    I'm having a similar SMS issue with a Powermax Complete unit. This system has a mobile SIM card installed directly within but does not appear to be sending any messages at present. Similarly, there is functionality to arm/disarm the system via SMS message but any sent messages do not appear to register at all with the system now i.e. it does not respond.

The SIM card appears to be in working order as far as the network operator are concerned. There is adequate credit etc in place.

Any ideas as to how this problem could be rectified?

You may need to down power the system, mains and batttery and power it back up.

Advertisement