Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Satellite broadband

Options
  • 15-05-2012 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

Hey im new here so not sure if this thread has already been dealt with...
    however i live in an area where proper broadband is not an option and the 02 dongle is pretty average! i was wondering does anyone have any recommendations for sattelite broadband and some pros and cons plus would u recommend it?
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Shanew14 wrote: »
    Hey im new here so not sure if this thread has already been dealt with...
    however i live in an area where proper broadband is not an option and the 02 dongle is pretty average! i was wondering does anyone have any recommendations for sattelite broadband and some pros and cons plus would u recommend it?
    thanks

Satellite is not broadband, don't be fooled by the glossy brochures. The download caps are by the hour, just look at this:
    http://www.onwave.ie/fair_usage_policy for instance.

Surely there are reasonable fixed wireless providers in the area you live. Let us know where that is and maybe we can find an FWA provider for you...

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Shanew14

bealtine wrote: »
    Satellite is not broadband, don't be fooled by the glossy brochures. The download caps are by the hour, just look at this:
    http://www.onwave.ie/fair_usage_policy for instance.

Surely there are reasonable fixed wireless providers in the area you live. Let us know where that is and maybe we can find an FWA provider for you...
    t
    Thanks for the reply but our phone lines are too old apperently..

t
    Thanks for the reply but our phone lines are too old apperently..

You don't need a phone line for FWA...it's wireless

bealtine wrote: »
    You don't need a phone line for FWA...it's wireless

oh ive never heard of it? what is it :( sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

oh ive never heard of it? what is it :( sorry

What part of the country do you live in,most are covered by Fixed Wireless,for example Permanet,Ripplecom,Digiweb Metro,WestNet etc.

Basically the signal is transmitted from a mast & you get a receiver installed at your home.It works by line of sight and is generally pretty good and much better than satellite or a dongle.

• Advertisement

zerks wrote: »
    What part of the country do you live in,most are covered by Fixed Wireless,for example Permanet,Ripplecom,Digiweb Metro,WestNet etc.

Basically the signal is transmitted from a mast & you get a receiver installed at your home.It works by line of sight and is generally pretty good and much better than satellite or a dongle.

ahhhhh i live in meath in a village outside trim..

ahhhhh i live in meath in a village outside trim..

Try http://www.net1.ie and see if they offer coverage

nope kiltale isnt on that map

• Registered Users Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭-=al=-

If you cant get any cabled/line broadband, then you want fixed wireless, but if you can't get that then 3g is your best bet :S maybe some of the different networks would be better 3g in your area

satellite is pretty pants

im very intrested to hear about this type of broadband...

• Advertisement
Advertisement