Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice on 1 year part time postgrad, law graduate

• 15-05-2012 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭

Hi there

I hope I'm in the right forum. My sister graduated last year (law) and was due to start working with one of the Dublin firms this May. She sat the FE1's in March and passed 7 out of the 8. This means that the firm will not take her on until this time next year. They rang her the other day asking what her plans are for the year. She told them that she had planned to keep working her part time job that she has been working at for the past 6 years, through college. They pretty much told her that this is not good enough that she would have to do something to progress professionally, they suggested something that showed initiative and entrepreneurship, such as setting up her own business or a course. Now the problem with that is we are not in the position financially to set up a business, plus to do this in twelve months would be a bit of a stretch even if we had the finance behind us.

Her other option is a course. She was told to 'diversify' so something not law related. She will have to do this part time as she will have to work to finance herself for the year. She was thinking something in finance, it has to be part time for one year, so I was just wondering if any of you had any advice for her, I am studying in a completely unrelated discipline but I would love to be able to get some info for her to help her out.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Ashashi

Well a business diploma would always assist a law minded person. Someone could have an excellent knowledge of the law but a business degree can broaden that person's real life knowledge of how a business is actually run. If a person comes looking for a solicitor, if the solicitor can shows an apt knowledge of the intricate nitty gritty of the business world, it might instil confidence.

Just a thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭starflake

Thanks for that advice, I'd say she would be interested in doing a diploma in business, would it have to be a postgraduate diploma? I know Dublin Business School offer part time undergraduate diplomas...

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Right 2B a liar

I would second a business degree of some sort however what I would do is look at the firm that is hiring and do something which I could use as my selling point to them. I reckon if you did a course in arbitration it would make you stand out and show laterally thinking as many people will do a business degree which is indirectly relevant whereas a course in arbitration or mediation could be directly relevant to work within the firm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

The law society do some pretty good diplomas on their site! Check it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73 ✭✭Blackrockcomet

It depends on the firm. A general business degree would always be beneficial.
    If it's a smaller firm and she completed something in marketing, it would be very helpful. Obviously, less so for a big firm with a marketing department.
    If she has an interest in financial services, something like this might help:
    http://www.bankers.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=250:postgraduate-programmes&catid=5:ourcourses-general

Or maybe something in aviation finance
    http://www.learnpipe.ie/courses/aviation-finance/ireland/

Those are two decent areas off the top of my head. If she looks at the firm and who their clients are and what they sell( i know it will be different things in different areas for a big firm but as long as she gains knowledge relevant to one area, it should keep them happy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭starflake

Thanks a million for this information it's been very helpful, I'll get her to have a look at those links

Advertisement