Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Foundation Samples

• 15-05-2012 5:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭

The cosmetic industry is worth quite a lot in this country. One figure which I have seen is that it nets 30 million euro per year. So, the industry is doing very nicely thank you out of Irish people. If this is the case, why are we treated so shabbily? For the last couple of months I have tried to get foundation samples from Chanel and NARS. I want them in a light shade and I wish to try them at home in order to see if I like how they apply/look. These foundations cost in the region of 35 euro so I am not willing to risk buying a product which doesn't suit and which I am then stuck with. Each time I approach counters in various stores I am told that they only have darker colours. Today I was specifically told at Chanel that they only ever stock the darker samples. Why? Would this happen in London/Paris/Rome? Equally, I find the attitudes of some of the assistants on many cosmetic counters to be quite offhand and 'superior'. (No, I don't have an inferiority complex, they absolutely do behave in that manner.) Recently I have started to buy online. Not exactly beneficial to the economy but there is a limit to the amount of off-handed service I will tolerate. Obviously, I can't get the samples on line either, but at least I can get other products easily and without hassel. It must be said that, of course, there are some MUAs who are absolutely lovely and I will continue to buy from those brands. Would be interested to hear anyone else's experience in this matter and also if anyone has any ideas on brands which consistently stock a range of samples.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Ive often taken in my own little 2ml vials (that i get from my job) and dispensed some of the tester into one of them. Ive never been asked once what im doing. As far as im concerned thats the point of a "tester". I hate testing foundation in shops as i always have some on and dont want to add more but i also prefer trying my sample out a couple of times in different lights to know if its good or not before i buy.

Makeup Forever had the worst customer service ive ever experienced and if left to the sales girl i wouldve looked like a ghost if id bought the foundation she'd suggested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

I agree, like you OP, I've tried to get sample of Chanel and have been told repeatedly in Debenhams that they don't have them, fair enough.

Around Christmas just gone, I asked at the Chanel counter in Brown Thomas if they could to a foundation fitting and was told no, that I would have to book a make over which was €40 and redeemable against products. I too found that the staff on the Chanel counter had a superior attitude.

I had a foundation fitting at the NARS counter in BTs and found the lady I dealt with to be a lovely person, very helpful and not at all pushy.

I asked her if there were any samples of the foundation and she explained that they don't have sample pots or sachets but if I got a pot and came back to her she would put some foundation into the pot for me to try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭aristocat

Excellent idea to bring your own 2ml pot. Will do that. However, the assistants have never suggested this to me. I suppose they don't want to be flattened in the rush if word got out! Seriously, why don't they? Are they on such tight margins that they cannot use too many testers? Again, I think it is unwillingness to cater to the Irish market in a professional manner.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I was given samples of two foundations from Nars in BT recently, so they definitely have them. Although, she initially said she "didn't think she had any samples", and only after I showed my... interest (only word I can think of) in purchasing from them did she actually check and said "oh yes here you go". Too bad they were both the totally wrong colour :rolleyes: It was a weekday afternoon and I was the only customer there, she didn't offer to try foundations on my skin, rather she suggested I book a future appointment for a foundation fitting. Didn't see why she couldn't do it there and then?

Definitely just bring in your own tubs, Boots and Muji do them. Some counters genuinely don't give samples. Ask a sales assistant if you can have a sample in your own pot and if they say no, let them, or their manager, know that you're taking your business elsewhere. Many people would be brand loyal, they're not just losing you on that particular purchase. It's not unreasonable to want to try foundation at home and in natural light. Alternatively, you can ask them to try out foundations on you. This may be difficult on the weekends as they're very busy, but shouldn't be a problem early in the week, or in the mornings. I think not giving samples is perfectly fine, so long as they give you some other options.

I had a good experience in Bobbi Brown at Arnotts recently. I wasn't given any samples but the assistant tried two different foundation colours on me and was fine when I said I wouldn't be purchasing that day, but would come back if the colour suited. They definitely used to stock samples, not sure if they still do, so ask if you try that brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭PandaX9

Not sure if this will be of benefit to anyone (sorry op, I know you mentioned NARS and Chanel specifically) but the Unicare Pharmacy downstairs in Blackrock Shopping Centre used to give out samples of Lancome, Clarins and Estee Lauder. I usually wear Estee Lauder Double Wear foundation and I require two colours, "Ecru" for winter and a darker shade like "Sand" for summer. However, some years I tan far darker than others so I need to get a foundation fitting to see what colour I am. More often than not, they'll just do it on the spot for me!

I've never had a problem with getting a sample, I'm sure they understand that I'd rather not spend €35 on a foundation the wrong colour. One time, the sales assistant was so bored that she offered to apply several shades of foundation on me to test them out in store, before giving me a 15ml sample as "all the smaller pots were gone". Now that's what I call customer service :D

However, I've known my summer/winter colour for some time now so I'm not sure if they still do the free samples

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Pomplamousse

anniehoo wrote: »
    Ive often taken in my own little 2ml vials (that i get from my job) and dispensed some of the tester into one of them. Ive never been asked once what im doing. As far as im concerned thats the point of a "tester". I hate testing foundation in shops as i always have some on and dont want to add more but i also prefer trying my sample out a couple of times in different lights to know if its good or not before i buy.

Is this in the likes of boots that you take samples from the testers? Because I've been wondering lately if you're allowed to do that in places where there's no assistants for each brand. Wouldn't wanna walk out with my little pots of samples feeling like I was gonna be stopped for shoplifting:o

Is this in the likes of boots that you take samples from the testers? Because I've been wondering lately if you're allowed to do that in places where there's no assistants for each brand. Wouldn't wanna walk out with my little pots of samples feeling like I was gonna be stopped for shoplifting:o
    Ive no shame. I do it in Boots, random chemists and Debenhams :p Ive never been stopped and tbh wouldnt care less if i was. Its a free tester and nowhere does it say i have to use that tester in the shop. Its only a couple of mls its not as if im pinching a whole bottle. If im ever stopped id just politely explain that im thinking of buying their product but rather do it in better light with a clean face.

Ive also done it with moisturisers, primers and face illuminators that are testers. As i said...no shame, but those few mls have actually made me go back and buy the full sized product after ive given them a few goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Pomplamousse

anniehoo wrote: »
    Ive no shame. I do it in Boots, random chemists and Debenhams :p Ive never been stopped and tbh wouldnt care less if i was. Its a free tester and nowhere does it say i have to use that tester in the shop. Its only a couple of mls its not as if im pinching a whole bottle. If im ever stopped id just politely explain that im thinking of buying their product but rather do it in better light with a clean face.

Ive also done it with moisturisers, primers and face illuminators that are testers. As i said...no shame, but those few mls have actually made me go back and buy the full sized product after ive given them a few goes.

Grand so, off to Boots tomorrow I go:D

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭CarMe

Are you really able to take testers?
    This is VERY exciting news!! :)

Grand so, off to Boots tomorrow I go:D
    CarMe wrote: »
    Are you really able to take testers?
    This is VERY exciting news!! :)

Oh jesus im sounding like a total clepto here now :D

I use these

eppendorf203401.jpg

They literally only hold a couple of mls, and its no more than you'd fit on the back of your hand, the exact same if you were trying out the tester in a shop. I tried Dior Sculpt a few weeks ago (no assistant available)....awful awful foundation and after trying it twice i know i wouldnt buy it. Much better than swatching it on my hand or face in the shop, paying €35-40 on a bottle and regretting it.

"Test" within reason girlies :D

• Advertisement

I actually just bought an empty pack of bottles in pennies today for shampoo, conditioner and body wash today. There's three tiny tubs that came with the pack, i was wondering what id use them for :D now i know! THANK YOU!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Birdster

Trying to get samples in Ireland, particularly Brown Thomas, is like asking the MUA's for blood. I agree with the OP on their attitude, I got it in bucket loads from the girl on the Armani counter, she looked at me liked I was a scumbag for requesting a sample of foundation but I finally got one after much sighing and banging around :rolleyes:

There is no comparison to the beauty stores I went to in NYC & Toronto. I walked out of there with a bag full of samples which were all served with a helpful and friendly attitude...........and a smile not a pout. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Birdster wrote: »
    Trying to get samples in Ireland, particularly Brown Thomas, is like asking the MUA's for blood. I agree with the OP on their attitude, I got it in bucket loads from the girl on the Armani counter, she looked at me liked I was a scumbag for requesting a sample of foundation but I finally got one after much sighing and banging around :rolleyes:

There is no comparison to the beauty stores I went to in NYC & Toronto. I walked out of there with a bag full of samples which were all served with a helpful and friendly attitude...........and a smile not a pout. :D

I use Arnotts whenever I can in preference to BTs. I have found most of the MUAs in BTs uninterested and sometimes downright rude. One time I was in MAC in BTs, I was interested in buying a foundation along with a powder and mabye a concealer. I asked one MUA (who wasn't busy) for some recommendations and she picked up a bottle of foundation and said that that might suit me and walked off. Never asked what type of skin I have, what type of coverage I wanted etc. I just walked out and I haven't bought anything in MAC in BTs since.

In America they simply cannot do enough for you. I love Sephora over there, they are so helpful with product recommendations etc.

Thanks for all the posts. It seems I am not imagining things then. We ARE shabbily treated by the cosmetics industry in this country. It is an extremely lucrative business and we the customers need to react to bad customer service. As Lizt says, in the US the customer is treated with a degree of respect. I also know, that in the US samples are freely given and are available in a wide colour selection. In cheaper drugstores where there are no samples, one can return a foundation if it is not the right colour. Can you imagine that happening here? I think that, collectively, we the customers need to change the treatment. If a MUA is being rude we need to politely point out the fact. If samples are not available, we need to ask why, when they will be available and inform them that in future we will be changing to a brand that treats it's customers well. I do not believe that any one product is SO special that we cannot find a suitable replacement elsewhere. Nothing is indispensable. If we do not demand respect, we will not get it. To all the brands and MUAs out there who are customer friendly I would say, well done and thank you. To the others, I would quote Marilyn Suttle - “Your customers are responsible for your company’s reason for existing.” Posters, we have the ability to change this poor treatment of Irish customers by the multi billion pound cosmetics industry. Have some pride!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 bananabuster

Hi everyone,

I have an extremely opposing opinion to all of the above responses actually! As a MUA myself, first of all I would just like to say that the "offhand" and "superior" attitudes of sales assistants are unfortunately seen all over the sector and not just in the cosmetics industry in general so I think it is unfair to say that people are particularly shabbily treated by MUA's..

Secondly, I work for a very well-known and prestigious brand and the reason we do not give out samples is because of firstly the simple fact that we are not supplied with them! (By the way this is 90% of times responded by rude customers who seem to be absolutely certain that you are lieing for some reason and think that threatening to take their business elsewhere is suddenly going to make some samples magically appear for them!)

Anyway, the principle reasons we are not supplied with them is because realistically alot of people do take advantage of getting "free stuff" and have no intention of coming back to buy the product at all which is obviously not beneficial to our business. Another reason is that it is impossible to know by looking at people what colour they are going to be-so what is the point in throwing them afew random samples in all kinds of shades? Instead, as is our job, the most beneficial option for both the customer and for us is to sit them down/make an appointment if it is busy and match up the correct foundation type/colour..if they want to see it in different lights, we always say to walk around with it for awhile or go home with it on and see then..

As for taking vials into a shop and pouring a tester into them, I am completely shocked by the shameless attitude of that!! First of all, would you not rather get expert advice on what one to choose and actually try it on first and secondly, again we are only supplied with limited testers which are designed for us to try on our customers so I think that it is unfair of people to come in and expect to just have their fill! Testers are there to try on in the shop!! Would you go to the fragrance section and pour in as much perfume as you wanted instead of merely spraying it to try it which is the normal thing to do???

Anyway, I cannot speak for all brands but that is my experience of my own brand and many of the others that work around me. In saying that, there are still many counters that do give out samples but the majority of them I think prefer to sit their customer down, advise them and hopefully make a more personal connection with them as opposed to just throwing sachets into their bag...

Sorry for the long reply, I was just trying to answer everyones opinions from a sales assistants point of view!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 133 ✭✭glitterbug86

The comparison you made with perfume isn't fair. When you spray perfume in the shop you can smell it there and then so you have a fair idea of the product. If you want to let it settle a while you can see how you feel about the scent but there's really not much more to it that that. With makeup trying it on the back of your hand is pretty useless. You don't get much of an idea of colour, coverage, texture etc. Even having the MUA apply it doesn't allow you to see and feel for yourself how it applies with your own tools. The lighting in a lot of these stores is very deceiving and your colour can look perfect in store but once you walk outside you're orange. And even if you're not, most of us aren't going to run outside and take a mirror out in the street to look properly at the foundation in natural lighting which is what you'd really need to do. If you go to a bathroom somewhere then you're back in unnatural lighting which is no good either. Chances are it'll be a while before you get home to have a right look at it. By then it may have faded, creased or oxidised. Those are the things you'd want to have looked out for graduallly happening after applying your own foundation.

I personally have not had much of a problem getting samples when I've asked for them (which is not that often and I only get them for products I'm genuinely interested in and have gone back to buy at least half the time). I've gotten foundation samples from estee lauder, mac and chanel. Estee lauder and mac usually have little plastic containers which they dispense the samples into for this purpose. Mac in general are good for samples. Chanel only had a darker shade than the one I wanted in a packaged sample but she told me to take it anyways to get a feel for the foundation. I've heard that they do run out of the plastic jars but if you bring your own they will fill it into that for you. I do not think this is too much to ask for an expensive foundation. Surely people trying the testers in store go through plenty of product that it wouldn't be that big a deal to dispense a little (one sample not "a few random samples") so the customer can try it at home for themselves. I wouldn't have the guts to take my own sample without asking but hey I don't see what the big deal is if someone else does it.

Sure, I'd describe some of the MUA's at these counters as "experts" but there are plenty out there who will get your shade wrong, to say the least. I would much rather to try a product at home for myself and get a feel for it than trust the luck of the draw in who I get at a makeup counter. Even so, I'd rather take a little sample home and try it for myself than be sat down at a counter for someone else to do it for me. I know my own skin better. I was once in a shop looking for makeup forever hd foundation and they had stopped stocking it. She proceeded to show me some other foundations in a limited shade range. I held up the lightest bottle and said "oh but these would be way too dark for me, I'm very pale (stating the obvious, I'm about NW5-10!)" and she said "oh, do you wear fake tan much?". She would have gladly sold me foundation at least 5 shades too dark just to make a sale which I don't appreciate.

I realise that there's plenty of snotty/rude customers out there as well as snotty sale assistants which isn't limited to those in the makeup industry. I've heard a lot of people say the girls at mac are really snotty and unhelpful but I have to say 99% of the time the girls in mac in Galway at least are always really lovely and really helpful. I also understand that if you don't have samples to give then you don't have them to give so that's not your fault. Plenty of places do give them though.

The comparison you made with perfume isn't fair. When you spray perfume in the shop you can smell it there and then so you have a fair idea of the product. If you want to let it settle a while you can see how you feel about the scent but there's really not much more to it that that.
    Fair point it's not the best example but it's the same idea in that you can try the foundation there and then and then if you want to let it settle a while and see how you feel about it then...
    With makeup trying it on the back of your hand is pretty useless. You don't get much of an idea of colour, coverage, texture etc.
    I never mentioned about applying it on the back of your hand and I wouldn't dream of expecting anyone to do that! Like you said, it is impossible to get the right colour/texture if not applied to your face...
    The lighting in a lot of these stores is very deceiving and your colour can look perfect in store but once you walk outside you're orange. And even if you're not, most of us aren't going to run outside and take a mirror out in the street to look properly at the foundation in natural lighting which is what you'd really need to do. If you go to a bathroom somewhere then you're back in unnatural lighting which is no good either. Chances are it'll be a while before you get home to have a right look at it. By then it may have faded, creased or oxidised.
    Yep again I agree with you! But that's why I said most MUA's would not expect anyone to buy their foundation there and then if they weren't fully sure as like you said they are indeed expensive and it is so important to get the right one as it is many people's daily necessity. As I said, would always recommend to see it in different lights outside/at home etc..
    I've heard that they do run out of the plastic jars but if you bring your own they will fill it into that for you. I do not think this is too much to ask for an expensive foundation.
    Thats true again-when we do have jars in stock and have matched up the correct foundation, there should not be any problem giving the customer some to bring home as that way this helpful customer service is quite likely going to make them come back to you.

I suppose the biggest pet hate for me and many of my colleagues is the people who just come in and ask "have you got any samples" and couldn't care less what they are/what colour/brand or anything and are just interested in a few freebies. Like I pointed out, if the personal connection can be made between both the customer and ourselves and if we do actually have any in stock, there would never be a problem in giving them out as they are obviously a way of driving forward business!

Unfortunately yes you will see poorly trained MUA's who haven't a clue of what they are doing but I think that is the case in every sector so I just think that it is unfair to try to just pinpoint this one without having both sides of the story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Hi everyone,

I have an extremely opposing opinion to all of the above responses actually! As a MUA myself, first of all I would just like to say that the "offhand" and "superior" attitudes of sales assistants are unfortunately seen all over the sector and not just in the cosmetics industry in general so I think it is unfair to say that people are particularly shabbily treated by MUA's..

Secondly, I work for a very well-known and prestigious brand and the reason we do not give out samples is because of firstly the simple fact that we are not supplied with them! (By the way this is 90% of times responded by rude customers who seem to be absolutely certain that you are lieing for some reason and think that threatening to take their business elsewhere is suddenly going to make some samples magically appear for them!)

Anyway, the principle reasons we are not supplied with them is because realistically alot of people do take advantage of getting "free stuff" and have no intention of coming back to buy the product at all which is obviously not beneficial to our business. Another reason is that it is impossible to know by looking at people what colour they are going to be-so what is the point in throwing them afew random samples in all kinds of shades? Instead, as is our job, the most beneficial option for both the customer and for us is to sit them down/make an appointment if it is busy and match up the correct foundation type/colour..if they want to see it in different lights, we always say to walk around with it for awhile or go home with it on and see then..

As for taking vials into a shop and pouring a tester into them, I am completely shocked by the shameless attitude of that!! First of all, would you not rather get expert advice on what one to choose and actually try it on first and secondly, again we are only supplied with limited testers which are designed for us to try on our customers so I think that it is unfair of people to come in and expect to just have their fill! Testers are there to try on in the shop!! Would you go to the fragrance section and pour in as much perfume as you wanted instead of merely spraying it to try it which is the normal thing to do???

Anyway, I cannot speak for all brands but that is my experience of my own brand and many of the others that work around me. In saying that, there are still many counters that do give out samples but the majority of them I think prefer to sit their customer down, advise them and hopefully make a more personal connection with them as opposed to just throwing sachets into their bag...

Sorry for the long reply, I was just trying to answer everyones opinions from a sales assistants point of view!

For me personally, trying on a product in a store is all well and good for colour matching. But I want more from a foundation - I want to know how long it lasts for, does it dry out my skin, is it easy to apply etc. I've never actually taken vials into a shop to get testers, I usually try foundations based on personal recommendations.

But there's a big difference between have a MUA apply a foundation to you instore in a few minutes and trying the foundation yourself, seeing how it feels and reacts with your skin etc. I wouldn't think it's shameless at all, I don't think too many people would be pouring a tester into a vial, rather they'd be taking just enough to try it out at home.

BANANABUSTER - Many thanks for your comprehensive reply from 'the other side'! Let me reiterate from the start what I said in my previous postings, that not all brands and MUAs are in the realm of the worst offenders.

1. With regard to offhand and superior attitudes, I have to say that, based on my own experiences, MUAs ARE the worst offenders. Of course everybody can have a bad day and indeed other general sales assistants can be guilty of this. The point is that I have consistently experienced this type of treatment from MUAs, but specifically from certain brands. I do not think it would be fair to single out these brands here as I do not see this discussion as based on specific incidents, more a general comment.

2. You state that certain brands are not supplied with samples. Why not? The reason that customers are disbelieving is that samples are available in most of the major cities which people visit on holiday or for work. The world is an even smaller place when the internet comes into the picture. Customers can communicate with beauty bloggers in many other countries and the differences in customer service can quickly become obvious. If high end brands wish to sell expensive cosmetics then they should supply samples. The cost of these samples is miniscule and if they are available in one country, they should be available across the board.

3. People looking for free stuff. Firstly, one has to speculate to accumulate. Yes, some of the customers are just cruising looking for hand outs. On the other hand how does a MUA decide who is a genuine customer and who is a time waster? They can't. And that is why each customer should be treated equally. With civility and respect. Handing out samples may seem expensive to you, but it generates business. Huge business. As an example, the Estee Lauder group of companies (20 brands) made profits in 2010 of $478.3M. Approx 40% of their business comes from Europe. 38.1% of those sales are from cosmetics. Based on these figures, it is clear to see that Europe is an important market for all brands, and inclusive in that is Ireland. Why are we not accorded the same customer service as the US?

4. In an ideal world, it would be nice to make an appointment with a MUA to have foundation applied in a leisurely manner. It would be equally nice to benefit from the expertise of the MUA and be 'fitted' to a shade of foundation in the shop. This is the real world. Neither every customer nor the MUAs have the time to do this. It is completely irrational to think that everyone who wants to be fitted to a foundation will get a suitable appointment at a cosmetic counter. There are not enough hours in the day.

5. Again, I applaud the brands and MUAs who treat customers well. I have worked for a while in the service industry and I am well aware of how fickle and rude the public can be. What I am proposing is that the customer starts to take back some power and demands to be treated with respect. It is absolutely a trend in the beauty industry here to treat the customer as a nuisance. Not exclusively, but definitely a growing trend.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Ivenus

I got a few samples from Estée lauder & Lancôme recently as I wanted to change my foundation. Got them from counters in Debenhams & arnotts. I ended up buying from estee lauder after trying the sample. Foundation is too expensive to buy without being allowed to try it out first. I have and I'm sure everyone has bought foundation before which ended up being awful & u are then down €35 as you can't use it.
    I got a sample before from Armani in BT for their new moisturiser when I was buying a foundation off them. I think they probably gave it to me cause I was buying something else. Kiehls are also very good at giving sample especially if you buy something off them.
    I can't see why all the makeup brands will give free sample of their foundation/ moisturisers in magazines yet not all these brands seems to give out samples to interested customers at their own makeup counters

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

I find that it depends on who you get.

I once got a lovely girl in MAC, they didn't have any pots but she told me to pop over to Boots and get some travel pots. When I returned she filled them with foundation, exfoliator, moisturiser, concealer... It was amazing, I had only popped in to see about buying a new foundation :)

Having said that, I have gone into MAC and other places numerous times, bought quite a few products (with hefty price tags in some cases), and not been offered or given samples when I asked to try something. If I'm spending up to 50+ euro, I would like a sample of something I'm thinking of buying next... I'm more likely to buy something if I know what it's like on me, not on someone else.

Plus with foundation, the MUA will rarely give you a perfect match. I have never been perfectly matched (they always try to sell me NC30/Medium, when NC15 is too dark). They don't know how your skin acts a few hours after application, if you wear fake tan (or not), if you have time to reapply during the day, if you use brushes/primer/powder... It's also impossible to tell the MUA all of this information because your skin tends to act differently each day and with new products, so the only solution is to get a sample to try yourself over the course of a few days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I have no doubt that most MUAs, especially those who work in the high-end brand concessions in large department stores, are experts. I'm sure they know what to recommend, how to match, do a full make-up, etc. But I'm an expert on my own skin. I've been wearing foundation for a while now and I know it'll take a few days to see what the foundation is like on my own skin and for my lifestyle.

I've never actually asked for a sample, except at a Chanel counter, where I was told they are not allowed give out samples if you BYO container because they can't know what was in the container before-hand or how the plastic will react to the foundation! At several other counters - Clinique, Mac, Estee Lauder, I have been offered a sample. And not just the ready-made samples....I have been given a couple of squirts from a bottle into a little plastic container.

I've never had a foundation matching, although I'm tempted! But I wear make-up every day, so even getting a little swatch of foundation on my face (usually the jawline, where you can't see it :confused:) does not really tell me anything useful. As other posters have pointed out, I like to see how the foundation reacts with my other beauty products - moisturiser, powder, etc - and how it lasts on my whole face, not just a part of my jawline.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

As for taking vials into a shop and pouring a tester into them, I am completely shocked by the shameless attitude of that!! First of all, would you not rather get expert advice on what one to choose and actually try it on first and secondly, again we are only supplied with limited testers which are designed for us to try on our customers so I think that it is unfair of people to come in and expect to just have their fill! Testers are there to try on in the shop!!
    If I want to try a Max Factor or Maybelline make up, I don't have a choice of getting expert advice in store.. and those make ups are still around the €20 mark- enough that I don't want to buy one, bring it home and have to bin it upon realising that it is totally the wrong colour.
    I can hardly put the make up on my face in the shop- for a start I would already have make-up on!

If I try on a dress in a shop, then get it home away from the fitting room mirrors and realise it's awful, I can bring it back after seeing it in the cold light of day, so to speak. You can't do that with foundation so I don't see anything wrong with squirting some on the back of your hand/into a vial to bring home and try there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 160 ✭✭cocokay

i wanted to try the estee lauder bb cream & wasn't forking out 40 quid for it cause i was v disappointed by the laura mercier tinted foundation & was afraid they would be similar. so i went into clerys and there was no one at the estee lauder counter but i had one of those little clear pots from buying the travel bottles in pennys, i tested the light one on my hand then squeezed it into the pot & got enough to last 4 days! didn't realise u only needed a little. so i would definitely be doing this again. if they aren't on the counter or don't have individual sachets then whats wrong with it, how are you supposed to know if it suits you!
    having said that Tara in estee lauder in debenhams is amazing, shes so nice and not pushy at all and really listens to what u want. i bought a dior lipgloss in bts before and the girl was also lovely, i was a bit shy going up to her but she was a chatty northsider and totally put me at ease :)
    mac sales assistants really put me off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 160 ✭✭cocokay

ps meant to say when i was in Macys & Sephora in New York i got so many great samples when buying full size products - actual tubes of product that lasted at least a month as opposed to a tiny sachet. so is the lack of samples just a European thing?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

Ok these are samples you have to buy but just to let you know Cloud 10 offer sample pots of FACE Atelier's foundation for €1 each, ok I know you have to pay but the full size is 38 quid and the sample size is generous enough to give you a good idea of the product!

I agree you should be allowed take a small sample with you, especially of higher end products but it's not the MUA's fault if you can't, they're told what to do so are just doing their job!

I think brands need to be clever and start offering more samples like the ones they stick in mags from time to time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

SmokeyEyes wrote: »
    I agree you should be allowed take a small sample with you, especially of higher end products but it's not the MUA's fault if you can't, they're told what to do so are just doing their job!

I know that the MUAs are just doing what they are instructed regarding samples, but I was just refuting Bananabuster's points that samples to take home are not necessary.
    I think brands need to be clever and start offering more samples like the ones they stick in mags from time to time!

That's a good point. I've bought products based on magazine samples from time to time. All you need is enough to try out one day. It's plenty for me to decide whether the foundation suits or not.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I got a sachet of moisturiser from BB when I got my foundation and now I wish to buy it :D Probably wouldn't have tested it otherwise as moisturiser is something you need a clean face for, ie in the morning or before bed, not on a shopping trip in a city!

It did strike me at Nars when the samples they gave me were in little glass vials with plastic lids and an applicator on the lid, surely they are extremely costly to produce? I understand they are a luxury cosmetics brand, but I doubt customers would be picky about the packaging on their free product! They should cut that cost and be less stingy :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭vibrantblue

I am a bit late but I have to agree with the notion of rude MUAs. Customers are treated very badly in counters. And, surprise surprise, BT is the worst.

I usually have my back pack on when I go to BT MAC on Grafton St (I'm a postgrad). And they always treat me very poorly, like I'm wasting away their testers (by swatching, not samples!) as I obviously can't afford their products as a poor student with a back pack! Then, I get really irritated when I decide to buy something and they try to make me give their name to the counter. For what? Demeaning me?

Another time, I asked to get matched for foundation colour (MAC F&B, the only foundation I like from MAC to be honest). And the "artist" applied the foundation very harshly while she wasn't even looking at me because she was talking to another "artist" at that moment!! Ugh!

And it's not only MAC. Every counter in BT has treated me very poorly one way or another. Well, maybe not Clinique, they are kinda nice.

But I have one praise. Estee Lauder counter at Boots Dundrum. The nicest girl ever! She told me she only works on Sundays there. They give samples with no problems and no pressure.

• Advertisement

I actually have to add praise here for a lovely MUA in Estee Lauder in Clereys!
    I went in for double wear and knew exactly what i wanted, she offered to apply it to make sure etc. I slipped in that i only had enough for the foundation but that was no bother to her, she cleansed my whole face and applied a full face of make up i was delighted with and was chatting away giving me the history behind Estee Lauder and gave me a lovely free gift of a make up bag with eye cream, cleanser, face cream, mascarra, eye shadows, lipstick and a mini night repair serum!
    Went away very happy and very loyal to Estee Lauder!

Great to see all the replies!! Just feel that I should argue my response again from a MUA perspective as I seem to be alone on my side here!
    aristocat wrote: »
    Let me reiterate from the start what I said in my previous postings, that not all brands and MUAs are in the realm of the worst offenders.

1. With regard to offhand and superior attitudes, I have to say that, based on my own experiences, MUAs ARE the worst offenders. I do not think it would be fair to single out these brands here as I do not see this discussion as based on specific incidents, more a general comment.
    As regards to this offhand attitude, I actually believe that our customers ARE the worst offenders-people typically expect us all to be snobby and act superior so come in with a bad "ready-for-a-fight" attitude straight away and feel entitled to treat us like complete dirt (I could write a book on the appalling thing that have been said and done to me on counter!)..I am not saying this is customers fault per se but unfortunately it seems due to the bad stigma created by other MUA's from certain other brands (one in particular that is creating a bad name for us all!) I agree that this discussion should not be based on singling out brands and specific incidents as it creates a bad name for everyone as a result. This thread was merely started to discuss the lack of foundation samples available AFAIK....
    2. You state that certain brands are not supplied with samples. Why not? The reason that customers are disbelieving is that samples are available in most of the major cities which people visit on holiday or for work. Customers can communicate with beauty bloggers in many other countries and the differences in customer service can quickly become obvious. The cost of these samples is miniscule and if they are available in one country, they should be available across the board.
    I agree with this point-I really do not know why we are supplied with little/no samples compared to US markets in particular..but I do think it is unfair to say as a result our customer service is worse-as I said before in spite of the lack of samples, many of us make a huge effort to sit our customers down or book them in for an appointment in order to try our products on first with no pressure to buy straight away as we are just as aware that people cannot be expected to part with so much money for a product they have not even tried..
    3. People looking for free stuff. On the other hand how does a MUA decide who is a genuine customer and who is a time waster? They can't. And that is why each customer should be treated equally. With civility and respect.
    Believe me it is very easy to know who is a time-waster and who isn't after just a few incidents! Either way, in my opinion the customer is treated equally and with respect..why would you say they are treated any differently?? If we do not have samples, everyone is told that in the same way regardless of their status! Again, if we were treated with more respect when asking as opposed to "have you got any samples" and then kicking up a fuss when we don't then maybe those people would experience a nicer response!Treat others how you would expect to be treated..
    4. In an ideal world, it would be nice to make an appointment with a MUA to have foundation applied in a leisurely manner. It would be equally nice to benefit from the expertise of the MUA and be 'fitted' to a shade of foundation in the shop. This is the real world. Neither every customer nor the MUAs have the time to do this. It is completely irrational to think that everyone who wants to be fitted to a foundation will get a suitable appointment at a cosmetic counter. There are not enough hours in the day.
    No its not?? This is why we have the ability to make appointments that suit both ourselves and the customer to come back then..and apart from the weekends, most MUA's would be more than happy to sit a customer down to pass the time if anything..If a customer comes in on a saturday and expects to be sat down and made up then they seriously need to open up their eyes to the crowds of customers around them! If you genuinely want to find your perfect makeup in a leisurely manner I think it is just common sense not to come in on a busy weekend day particularly in a big department store...

Ivenus wrote: »
    Foundation is too expensive to buy without being allowed to try it out first. I have and I'm sure everyone has bought foundation before which ended up being awful & u are then down €35 as you can't use it.

I can't see why all the makeup brands will give free sample of their foundation/ moisturisers in magazines yet not all these brands seems to give out samples to interested customers at their own makeup counters
    Completely agree with your first point-that is completely just and understandable! I am just guessing because I don't know the official reason but I am assuming they give out samples in mags to draw customers into their counters which is then where they expect their MUA's to sit them down to develop a loyal relationship with them and try on whatever they would like as opposed to just handing them out more samples..
    bscm wrote: »
    I find that it depends on who you get.

No, this is my point! It is not WHO you get-it depends on the brand and their supply of samples..it is not a case of if the MUA is nice and in a good mood she will give you samples but if not then she wont bother!
    bscm wrote: »
    Plus with foundation, the MUA will rarely give you a perfect match. I have never been perfectly matched (they always try to sell me NC30/Medium, when NC15 is too dark).
    Again, I would appreciate if you did not paint us all with the same brush just because you are "rarely" perfectly matched by this particular brand..Not trying to be rude but go to a different brand then if you find that they never give you the perfect match!You wouldn't keep going back to the same restaurant if they consistently served you bad food!
    cocokay wrote: »
    i tested the light one on my hand then squeezed it into the pot & got enough to last 4 days! didn't realise u only needed a little. so i would definitely be doing this again.
    Exactly! How are businesses supposed to make any money if certain customers have the attitude that they can just come in every couple of days and get free produce!?
    cocokay wrote: »
    so is the lack of samples just a European thing?!
    Yep I think so..we genuinely only get sent a very small amount for possibly customers who spend over a certain amount or for events etc..

Thank you SmokeyEyes! It is not our fault!! I agree we should have more sachets of samples in stock especially for skincare which you would need to try over a number of days but we cannot provide what we do not have and it is not fair to say that we provide bad customer service as a result of this!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Actually the only counter that has ever been helpful to me in regards to samples (or..anything really) is Clinique. When they stopped making the foundation that I used to use the lady gave me pots of 4 different samples to try out, and they were pretty big samples in pots she filled herself! They are also the only counter that get my skin-tone right.

Was in MAC in BT the other day to get some gel eyeliner and I had to ask 3 different girls the serve me. The first 2 were "busy" (wiping down counters) and eventually the third one made me wait a few minutes until she finished cleaning her brushes :rolleyes: And there were only like 2 customers in there! Definitely buying MAC products online from now on...it's cheaper anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I know someone who has worked on several makeup counters in large chain chemists and dept stores.She never buys any make up or cosmetics herself, she takes all the samples of everything when they get in. She gets lovely pale foundation samples so they are out there. She has ziplock bags full of samples in her bathroom that she makes her way through.She considers it a perk of the job. To be honest I always presumed this is what happened to samples everywhere. Ive never received a sample even when Ive bought other things and asked for a sample of something to try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭IsaMtq

I was using prescriptive’s foundation for years, it was just absolutely gorgeous on my skin and then of course, it was discontinued! (Still sick about this!) So have been on the hunt for something similar ever since & now have a mostly useless collection of foundations I will never use!

I hate asking for samples but for foundation it’s a complete necessary – I think taking a pot to take away a sample is a great idea – I completely understand what banana girl is saying that you’ll get the freeloaders taking the piss, but maybe there should be a system where you need a store card and there’s a bit of a record kept to see whose genuine, or even charge 1 or 2 euro for a sample. I’ve found with even getting a foundation fitting – they will always use a million other products as well as their tools – their moisturiser, primer, foundation, blush, powder, highlighter, bronzer – and you think yea, I like this – buy it – but its actually nothing like the result you had when they did it – so in future when getting makeup done, will only let them put the foundation on – with my own moisturiser & primer and just that. I’m still on the hunt for the right foundation, and I know I’ll find it, its just so expensive to get there. I spent 170euros in MAC recently (for about 5 products! I get sucked in!) and for the foundation I bought I asked for a sample of the same shade in a different foundation that was a higher coverage but same shade – the MUA completely fobbed me off, but I asked about four times & she eventually gave me a sample – it was unreal! Why so mean if the samples are there?

And I love love love this guy – he’s in the UK & obviously it’s a very different story getting samples there.

Advertisement