Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car accident but never told insurance company

Options
  • 15-05-2012 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

I had a car accident back in February on the M1. A car ran into the back of me and I in turn hit the car in front. There was no damage done to the car I hit and he said he was fine. The guards were called as there was about 9/10 cars involved.
    As there was no damage done to his car he told the guards that he was fine and happy to go. We didn't exchange insurance details, the guards did ask him if he wanted the details.
    Got a call from the guards today to say that he is now going to claim for personal injury. The guards said what will happen now is that everyone will now claim of the person that hit them and the last car will pay the claim.
    As there was no damage done and I taught that there would be no claim I never reported the accident to my insurance company. Will the insurance company make an issue out of the fact that I never reported this.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,434 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

helen1 wrote: »
    As there was no damage done and I taught that there would be no claim I never reported the accident to my insurance company. Will the insurance company make an issue out of the fact that I never reported this.
    Thanks

Probably but I'm sure they're used to people who were 'fine' after an accident developing whiplash afterwards thanks to the advice they get down in the pub so your situation probably isn't that unusual. The fact that he was offerred and refused your insurance details means that it was reasonable (if slightly naive) of you to assume that you wouldn't hear any more about it.

As long as the delay in reporting it doesn't predjudice the situation it shouldn't be a problem and from what you've said I don't think it will if the other side is only coming forward with a claim now.

Report it to your insurance company now and if you get any correspondence from the other side or his solicitor, forward it to your insurance company without replying. Do not enter into direct correspondence with anyone, let the insurance company do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

car behind you is responsible, unless he in turn was rearended and then whoever hit him is responsible, UNLESS any of those in front had hit before being hit from behind.

These claims can be either very simple, is chappie at the back puts the hand up and accepts he caused the whole thing. Otherwise, they can be messy.

As CoyleMJ says, report immediately to your insurers and pass any documentation you receive to them on reciept. If you have received anything and have done NOTHING, then you MAY have difficulties with your insurer.

Advertisement