Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HP DL380 + MSA20 via SCSI

Options
  • 15-05-2012 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭

Hi all,

Need a little bit of assistance please.

We have a HP DL380 G5 Server running Windows Server 2003 R2 Enterprise X64 Edition Service Pack 1, and we have just connected an MSA20 Storage Device via a SCSI Connection.

When we power on the server, Device Manager is showing this new hardware under 'Other Devices' and then below that as 'HP U320/SATA BULK 1 SCSI Array Device'.

We have done some significant research on Google to locate a driver, but so far without any success.

Any assistance on this would be very much appreciated.

Regards,

Paul.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Ctrl Alt Del

Hi Paul,

What i'll do first here:

-install latest HP SmartCD firmware,drivers and updates.
    -install latest drivers / firmware for SCSI controller (i hope is a dedicated one)

Let me know if that does any tricks !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

Have you tried Here?

-Funk

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭paulgrogan.eu

Hi Paul,

What i'll do first here:

-install latest HP SmartCD firmware,drivers and updates.
    -install latest drivers / firmware for SCSI controller (i hope is a dedicated one)

Let me know if that does any tricks !

Hi there,

Thanks a million for your reply.

Can I ask how we check what type of SCSI controller it is? When you say dedicated, I assume you mean its a plug in card with 1 single scsi port?

Many thanks

Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭paulgrogan.eu

funk-you wrote: »
    Have you tried Here?

-Funk

Hi,

Thanks a million for that. Yes indeed we tried all the downloads under the Storage Controller heading.

Many thanks

Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

Are you sure you have a HP smart Array controller installed from memory the MSA20 will only work with these

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

Yeah don't think the MSA will work off a standard SCSI card. It requires a HP Smart array controller, see the following link http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/11942_div/11942_div.html

Never used the MSA off the built-in RAID controller !!
    Always left the internal card only for OS while installing a dedicated raid P400s 320 card for MSA .

I meant to say that the built-in / on-board SCSI cller is dedicated to OS 'hard drives.
    Also,that you have a dedicated SCSI card installed and using the external scsi cable connected to MSA directly !
    Also,if the card installed AND connected to MSA can be a standard scsi then you have it as a normal external drives...

If that's the case and you have installed Smart CD/DVD firmware then boot server,go in to controller for MSA and see what type of RAID / array/drives you have there...possible SCSI termination is not ON or AUTO !?
    Check SCSI channel ID as well...

Check if drivers are installed for x64 and not x32 (i know may sound silly !)
    Run locally installed HP online diagnostic and see what that tells you.

Is the units under warranty ? Call HP and see what they come up with !!

update ... to update !

From the MSA20 quick spec:
    "NOTE: The MSA20 had an onboard controller module. When the MSA20 is directly attached to a ProLiant server with a Smart Array controller, the MSA20 controller module functions as the array controller and the Smart Array Controller acts as the Host Adapter..."

"NOTE: The MSA20 in only supported with the Smart Array 642, 6402 and 6404 "

Also,reading specs from @mbroaders,i can't see listed Windows OSes x64 !? Just Windows Server,so i can assume they are x32...

Advertisement