Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pursue Maintenance?

• 15-05-2012 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I'm an unmarried and seperated mother of two children (7+3). Having been to court seeking maintenance, I have been informed by my solicitor that the new judge will not grant a maintenance order if the non-custodial parent is claiming social welfare. Is this legal? I assumed under the amended Maintenance Act 2002 that 'Parents, whether married or not, are responsible for the maintenance of their children'. My case has been adjourned, but is there any point in even pursuing this claim?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭slarkin123

My friends ex was court ordered to pay maintenance even though he's on job seekers. I can't see why he still shouldn't be held responsible for his children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

borisboo wrote: »
    I'm an unmarried and seperated mother of two children (7+3). Having been to court seeking maintenance, I have been informed by my solicitor that the new judge will not grant a maintenance order if the non-custodial parent is claiming social welfare. Is this legal? I assumed under the amended Maintenance Act 2002 that 'Parents, whether married or not, are responsible for the maintenance of their children'. My case has been adjourned, but is there any point in even pursuing this claim?

Your solicitor is a dumbass... you will be awarded something, but it may be a meagre amount like 10 euro per week per child or something, although every little helps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Yes, pursue it OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 borisboo

The judge has already made many decisions not to award maintenance to other like cases so I believe its just the solicitor warning me that no money will be forthcoming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I think it depends on the persons out goings, ie on jsa and paying a mortgage = no maintance.

• Advertisement
Advertisement