Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Complaint Against a Public Institute

• 15-05-2012 6:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,178 ✭✭✭

I was reading that Sean Gallagher made a complaint about some tweet during the election campaign against RTE and when he filed a complaint it was dismissed and met with some hostility.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0515/sean-gallagher-media-future-conference.html

Has anybody else made complaints against a public institute before? I've made a couple and met a lot of hostility too. Was wondering if others experienced something similar?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Maybe if Sean Gallagher just shut the fuck up and accepted that the country saw him for what he really was, then he wouldn't be met with such hostility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I once sued Dublin Zoo for being too far away my house in Donegal.

Almost won too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 dogyworld1

nope
    next question?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

If I worked in a pub and Sean Gallagher ordered a pint he'd find he was met with a lot of hostility there too. The man's a fool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Maybe if Sean Gallagher just shut the fuck up and accepted that the country saw him for what he really was, then he wouldn't be met with such hostility.

RTE were wrong, I don't think it stopped him winning but at the same time it didn't do him any favours.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

RTÉ were wrong in what they did and I'm not entirely surprised because I think the one-sided approach and editorial policy of the Frontline always left it open to problems like this. That said, Gallagher is 99.9% spin and this is just another case of it. He's just having a well crafted public moan about the thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,178 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I was in Galway one night years ago and my friend and I found a guy un-concious on the ground. We tried for an hour to get some sense out of him but he wasn't from Galway and didn't know where he was staying, couldn't tell us who he was out with. We tried ringing numbers in his phone but the only people that answered did not know where he was meant to be staying. So for his own safety we lifted him to the Garda station. We were told to get the f*k out, it's not a party in here. So we walked out with the drunk in tow. I went back in by myself to try and explain and then got physically pushed back out through two sets of doors and was told leave or I'd be arrested. Got the guys garda number, I wasn't drinking that night so had the sense to do that. Anyway, after a couple of attempts they just didn't respond at all.

Other time was with a different institution. I filed a complaint. Didn't get a response in 2 months. Contacted again, still no response. I knew somebody who worked in this place. According to that person it turns out there was a person who worked in that company with the same name as mine. So rather than contact me back, they checked their own employee database and tried to intimidate this other poor b*stard. They eventually realized the mistake and contacted me so I asked why it had taken so long to get a reply, they said they tried to respond but the e-mail address I sent them 2 e-mails from and received 2 out of office replies back to...did not work...I left it there...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Has anybody else made complaints against a public institute before? I've made a couple and met a lot of hostility too. Was wondering if others experienced something similar?

The only way to sort this out is if you work in the private sector and happen to be serving say a public sector employee simply spit in his face as that's what they do all day in the public sector and they get paid €2,0000,0000,0000,0000,0000,0000,000 a minute as well. FACT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭General Relativity

Stiffler2 wrote: »
    The only way to sort this out is if you work in the private sector and happen to be serving say a public sector employee simply spit in his face as that's what they do all day in the public sector and they get paid €2,0000,0000,0000,0000,0000,0000,000 a minute as well. FACT.

The new Godwin. 'As an Internet discussion goes on the probability that someone will refrence the Public sector will approach 1.'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

The new Godwin. 'As an Internet discussion goes on the probability that someone will refrence the Public sector will approach 1.'
    Not really surprising when the OP is about the public sector in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,802 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I was in Galway one night years ago and my friend and I found a guy un-concious on the ground. We tried for an hour to get some sense out of him but he wasn't from Galway and didn't know where he was staying, couldn't tell us who he was out with. We tried ringing numbers in his phone but the only people that answered did not know where he was meant to be staying. So for his own safety we lifted him to the Garda station. We were told to get the f*k out, it's not a party in here. So we walked out with the drunk in tow. I went back in by myself to try and explain and then got physically pushed back out through two sets of doors and was told leave or I'd be arrested. Got the guys garda number, I wasn't drinking that night so had the sense to do that. Anyway, after a couple of attempts they just didn't respond at all.

Other time was with a different institution. I filed a complaint. Didn't get a response in 2 months. Contacted again, still no response. I knew somebody who worked in this place. According to that person it turns out there was a person who worked in that company with the same name as mine. So rather than contact me back, they checked their own employee database and tried to intimidate this other poor b*stard. They eventually realized the mistake and contacted me so I asked why it had taken so long to get a reply, they said they tried to respond but the e-mail address I sent them 2 e-mails from and received 2 out of office replies back to...did not work...I left it there...
    Ultimately the Guards have a lot to worry about and dealing with a self inflicted drunk who should probably know better was probably last thing on their list of to-do's.
    That being said they could have been more courteous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,312 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

I was reading that Sean Gallagher made a complaint about some tweet during the election campaign against RTE and when he filed a complaint it was dismissed and met with some hostility.

The guy is a confirmed liar. Why do you people believe him on this? it certainly suits his agenda to suggest he was met with hostility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭daveyeh

I made a written complaint to RTE for broadcasting that retarded, baldy, underbitten, foolish, irritating arseholes face.

I deem their silence on the matter to be hostile. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

kippy wrote: »
    Ultimately the Guards have a lot to worry about and dealing with a self inflicted drunk who should probably know better was probably last thing on their list of to-do's.

Right so the lads should have just left this guy on the footpath to get a beating, stumble out in front of a car or choke on his own vomit. They did the right thing and the Gardai were out of order. I don't care if it was self inflicted, if a person who was spiked was brought in it sounds like they might have been refused.

I read the title too quickly and I thought you had a complaint against a prostitute

Right so the lads should have just left this guy on the footpath to get a beating, stumble out in front of a car or choke on his own vomit. They did the right thing and the Gardai were out of order. I don't care if it was self inflicted, if a person who was spiked was brought in it sounds like they might have been refused.

Overly drunk individuals are a large part of the reason our A and E wards as well as the Gardai, are up to their tonsils on a weekly basis. The acceptance that being "off your head" drunk (in such a manner as this said individual) is "okay" and you have every right to make a nuisance of yourself is a very Irish thing. Being drunk is not an excuse.

As I said, they could have perhaps handled the issue better - perhaps arresting the guy for being drunk and disorderly (or something similiar), sticking him in the cell for the night etc. I am sure we would hear about it here if that happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

Overly drunk individuals are a large part of the reason our A and E wards as well as the Gardai, are up to their tonsils on a weekly basis. The acceptance that being "off your head" drunk (in such a manner as this said individual) is "okay" and you have every right to make a nuisance of yourself is a very Irish thing. Being drunk is not an excuse.

As I said, they could have perhaps handled the issue better - perhaps arresting the guy for being drunk and disorderly (or something similiar), sticking him in the cell for the night etc. I am sure we would hear about it here if that happened.

The arrest would have been the best thing in my opinion, or if you can just leave him in the cell without charge and frighten the **** out of him to reduce risk of it happening again.

The arrest would have been the best thing in my opinion, or if you can just leave him in the cell without charge and frighten the **** out of him to reduce risk of it happening again.

Why leave him in a cell without charge?

I would assume they have limited Cells in the station. If hey goes in there, he should be charged etc.......

Sorry, OP, Have brought this off topic.

It's not like they had to go out of their way. We brought him to the station. Mill Street in Galway has a drink tank they use, I've never been in it but my housemates cousin has. All they had to do was take him in there. There was 2 girls in the station making a complain with about 5 officers in there..

It's not like they had to go out of their way. We brought him to the station. Mill Street in Galway has a drink tank they use, I've never been in it but my housemates cousin has. All they had to do was take him in there. There was 2 girls in the station making a complain with about 5 officers in there..

What if the "drinktank" was full?
    Point is, the Gardai cannot be held responsible for every drunk in the city.

• Advertisement

Dodge wrote: »
    The guy is a confirmed liar. Why do you people believe him on this? it certainly suits his agenda to suggest he was met with hostility.

RTE are also confirmed liars...I don't know many people that aren't to be honest. If Bill Clinton made a complaint I'd believe him over a company like RTE to be honest and that guy's a liar too..

It was more him talking about hostility got me thinking thus posted..

What if the "drinktank" was full?
    Point is, the Gardai cannot be held responsible for every drunk in the city.

They aren't. This one was brought right to them, no huge inconvenience, not being taken from helping anybody else. The station was pretty empty and it was before the clubs let out...Anyway, if that was the problem why not say that rather than physically push me out two sets of doors. I'm not somebody that has a problem with the Gardai either that was the first bad experience I had with them.

They aren't. This one was brought right to them, no huge inconvenience, not being taken from helping anybody else. The station was pretty empty and it was before the clubs let out...Anyway, if that was the problem why not say that rather than physically push me out two sets of doors. I'm not somebody that has a problem with the Gardai either that was the first bad experience I had with them.

So what happened after that?

Stiffler2 wrote: »

In the context of a complaint it's relevant about Public sector because in many cases there's no private alternative in Ireland. Was there a different policing authority I could bring the guy to?

I've made complaints against private sector places to. Most at least allow me to speak to management. One or two have not responded but seeing as though they don't provide any essential services which I can't get anywhere else I can vote with my money and just go somewhere else.

I just had serious problems with BOI. I will be closing my account, they have not been responsive on the problems I've been raising. Lots of alternatives, so no issue fixing it in my eyes

So what happened after that?

We went on outside the gates of the place holding the guy up for a while, eventually an older guy there offered to go into the station and talk to them. A Garda came out and took the guy into the station. So we walked home.

I'm assuming the issue was my housemate and I were in 24 years old at the time thus we can be treated like crap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

In the context of a complaint it's relevant about Public sector because in many cases there's no private alternative in Ireland. Was there a different policing authority I could bring the guy to?

https://www.gardaombudsman.ie/

I've made complaints against private sector places to. Most at least allow me to speak to management. One or two have not responded but seeing as though they don't provide any essential services which I can't get anywhere else I can vote with my money and just go somewhere else.
    So you want to multiple police forces in every town in Ireland, just in case someone gets the hump with one of them???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0515/sean-gallagher-media-future-conference.html

I seem to recall seeing something about a priest making a complaint about RTE over some current affairs programme. Not sure of the eventual outcome though.

https://www.gardaombudsman.ie/

So you want to multiple police forces in every town in Ireland, just in case someone gets the hump with one of them???

That was the second port of call. The Ombudsman. I'm not saying there has to be an alternative to the Garda..are you high!?

Sorry I should elaborate. I contacted the Ombudsman after contacting the station itself the next day and getting fobbed off. I got a generic mail back from the Ombudsman. I then contacted the local newspaper who also just fobbed me off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

RTÉ done us all a favour, It would have been sickening to have him as our President.

He smells the money now, RTÉ's money...Waste of space of a man..

• Advertisement

I'm not saying there has to be an alternative to the Garda..are you high!?
    So why did you bring up the point about the lack of choice?
    That was the second port of call. The Ombudsman

Sorry I should elaborate. I contacted the Ombudsman after contacting the station itself the next day and getting fobbed off. I got a generic mail back from the Ombudsman.
    Seems strange that you asked "Was there a different policing authority I could bring the guy to?" when you knew about the Ombudsman all along and had referred your complaint to them in the first place.

But really, what do you expect - do you reckon that the Ombudsman should have SWAT teams on standby to respond to every email complaint about how drunks get handled?

There is a formal process on the Ombudsman website for making a complaint. All you have to do is follow the process. How hard is that?

So why did you bring up the point about the lack of choice?

Seems strange that you asked "Was there a different policing authority I could bring the guy to?" when you knew about the Ombudsman all along and had referred your complaint to them in the first place.

But really, what do you expect - do you reckon that the Ombudsman should have SWAT teams on standby to respond to every email complaint about how drunks get handled?

There is a formal process on the Ombudsman website for making a complaint. All you have to do is follow the process. How hard is that?

What are you on about!? On the night, when I was pushed out the door, could I call up the Ombudsman right then and there and say hey, get out of bed and come take this drunk off my hands?????

My main complaint was being physically pushed out two sets of doors rather than them not wanting to take the drunk guy.

I brought up the point about a lack of choice because some of the public services we have such as revenue, social services, Garda, fire services, VEC don't have anybody to really answer to. It's not a case you can say, I'm really unhappy with the way I was treated and they didn't respond to my complaint so I'll take my business elsewhere....it's not an option.

I brought up the point about a lack of choice because some of the public services we have such as revenue, social services, Garda, fire services, VEC don't have anybody to really answer to. It's not a case you can say, I'm really unhappy with the way I was treated and they didn't respond to my complaint so I'll take my business elsewhere....it's not an option.
    This is nonsense. They do have somebody to really answer to - the Ombudsman. Did you bother making a formal complaint?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

charlemont wrote: »
    He smells the money now, RTÉ's money...Waste of space of a man..

RET will spend it so much more wisely.

This is nonsense. They do have somebody to really answer to - the Ombudsman. Did you bother making a formal complaint?

I filed a complaint and got a generic e-mail back. I tried to contact again and got no response. What next?

This was years ago by the way. I've still got some e-mail in my sent box so if you've got some way to get through to somebody else that can help, let me know. If you are going to say local TD, I've tried that before and am told the complaint has to go through Ombudsman...

I filed a complaint and got a generic e-mail back. I tried to contact again and got no response. What next?

This was years ago by the way. I've still got some e-mail in my sent box so if you've got some way to get through to somebody else that can help, let me know. If you are going to say local TD, I've tried that before and am told the complaint has to go through Ombudsman...

If you spent 2 minutes on their website, you would have seen that they don't take complaints by email. They have an online complaint submission form, an MS Word submission form, and the options to submit your complaint by phone or in person. But it seems that you didn't bother to submit a complaint, and then you wonder why you didn't get a response.

• Advertisement

If you spent 2 minutes on their website, you would have seen that they don't take complaints by email. They have an online complaint submission form, an MS Word submission form, and the options to submit your complaint by phone or in person. But it seems that you didn't bother to submit a complaint, and then you wonder why you didn't get a response.

I sent the form, I made the phone calls. Where are you coming from on this?...why are you assuming I didn't do the right things?

I filled in some document and jumped through the hoops, I also called. Because I also tried to follow up by e-mail you assume I didn't do things properly?

I sent the form, I made the phone calls. Where are you coming from on this?...why are you assuming I didn't do the right things?

I filled in some document and jumped through the hoops, I also called. Because I also tried to follow up by e-mail you assume I didn't do things properly?

What happened after the guards "kicked" you out of the station?

What happened after the guards "kicked" you out of the station?

Another guy came to help out with the drunk guy. We explained what happened to him, he went into the station. A Garda came out and took the drunk guy off us. That's all that happened.

I wasn't "kicked" out of the station. I was pushed ;)

The procedure for dealing with complaints is set out clearly on the website;
    Procedure when dealing with a complaint;
     When completed, Complaint Forms are received by Corporate Services and the
    date of receipt will be logged by Corporate Services in the Complaints Database.
     Corporate Services will acknowledge receipt of the Complaint.
     The Complaints Form will be forwarded to the Manager in the relevant area /
    unit to be dealt with, usually within 10 working days.
     Corporate Services will record when the Complaint Form has been forwarded to
    the relevant area / unit Manager.
     Corporate Services will retain a copy of the Complaint Form.
     The Manager in the relevant area / unit will deal with the Complaint and
    correspond with the Complainant within the designated timeframe.
     The Manager in the relevant area / unit will inform Corporate Services when the
    Complaint has been dealt with and closed.
     Corporate Services will record the date the Complaint has been closed on the
    Complaints Database.
    If they haven't complied with this procedure, it is a fairly simple matter to call them on it. It might take a few calls or a bit of hassling and chasing, but they'll only ignore you if you let them. The Senior Managers are named on the website. It's usually fairly easy to find any one individual email address for the organisation, and then you can work out the format of the other email addresses.

The procedure for dealing with complaints is set out clearly on the website;

If they haven't complied with this procedure, it is a fairly simple matter to call them on it. It might take a few calls or a bit of hassling and chasing, but they'll only ignore you if you let them.

...you don't see problem with them being able to ignore me?? That's kind of the whole point of the thread. It's as though you are saying, sure the system sucks but you just need to keep trying and eventually they'll cave in and do their job

• Advertisement

Another guy came to help out with the drunk guy. We explained what happened to him, he went into the station. A Garda came out and took the drunk guy off us. That's all that happened.

I wasn't "kicked" out of the station. I was pushed ;)

Thats's a bit strange.
    What did this "other guy" do differently to you I wonder.

Thats's a bit strange.
    What did this "other guy" do differently to you I wonder.

He was older would be my guess. We got told to get out of the station while waiting in line behind the two girls that were in there. Told it wasn't a party...when we tried to explain that we didn't know this guy and were trying to help a Garda that was to the side of the counter there came over and grabbed me by the shoulder and pushed me out through the doors and said to leave or I'd be f'in arrested.

I didn't curse, I was respectful and I wasn't drinking that night so I wasn't visibl drunk or anything. You a Garda or something? If you want I can throw ya the guys Garda number and you can give it to somebody that gives a sh!t for me

He was older would be my guess. We got told to get out of the station while waiting in line behind the two girls that were in there. Told it wasn't a party...when we tried to explain that we didn't know this guy and were trying to help a Garda that was to the side of the counter there came over and grabbed me by the shoulder and pushed me out through the doors and said to leave or I'd be f'in arrested.

I didn't curse, I was respectful and I wasn't drinking that night so I wasn't visibl drunk or anything. You a Garda or something? If you want I can throw ya the guys Garda number and you can give it to somebody that gives a sh!t for me

Not at all, I just wonder was there something else going on - not insinuating you were at fault. I just find the incident strange.
    My views are more down to the thinking that the Gardai have a responsibility to assist in a situation such as this - perhaps a and e would have been a better place seeing as the guy was unconscious.

Not at all, I just wonder was there something else going on - not insinuating you were at fault. I just find the incident strange.
    My views are more down to the thinking that the Gardai have a responsibility to assist in a situation such as this - perhaps a and e would have been a better place seeing as the guy was unconscious.

We found him down where the back of Easons is. The Garda station was much closer, he wasn't a small guy, took a lot of effort to lift him

...you don't see problem with them being able to ignore me?? That's kind of the whole point of the thread. It's as though you are saying, sure the system sucks but you just need to keep trying and eventually they'll cave in and do their job

They only ignore you if you let them ignore you.

They only ignore you if you let them ignore you.

So I should have made threats or something to get my way?

So I should have made threats or something to get my way?

If that's your only way of negotiating, I'm starting to understand why the Gardai threw you out of the station.

If that's your only way of negotiating, I'm starting to understand why the Gardai threw you out of the station.

Keep on trollin'

If you aren't trolling, I think you don't seem to grasp English too well.

Keep on trollin'

If you aren't trolling, I think you don't seem to grasp English too well.

No trolling, man. You don't seem to grasp the difference between being assertive and being aggressive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

No trolling, man. You don't seem to grasp the difference between being assertive and being aggressive.

Only assertive people deserve help? This is rubbish. You're making excuses for poor behavior.

• Advertisement
Advertisement