Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MechWarrior Online

• 15-05-2012 6:47pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but i couldnt find it so...

The first proper trailer (well, teaser) has been released for MechWarrior Online, and its looks pretty god damn fantastic. Excellent looking graphics, and the mechs look as awesome as ever. Probably years away yet, but whatever.

Comments

WANT. Always loved MechWarrior games.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭hal9000

looks like a proper sequel to mechwarrior 2&3 :D (never was that big a fan of mech 4)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,782 ✭✭✭eddhorse

I did have the very first MechWarrior game, LONG time ago,

Graphics might be better but still looks a bit slow for me..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Mance Rayder

I am awaiting this game with great anticipation. I loved Battletech and this is right up my street. Hope to see some Boardsies there and maybe we can get a clan going after a while!(If the game turns out to be as good as it looks)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

eddhorse wrote: »
    I did have the very first MechWarrior game, LONG time ago,

Graphics might be better but still looks a bit slow for me..

Well those looked to be mostly Assault Class Mechs. Get a server or Lights and I think things will speed up considerably.

• Advertisement

The slower speed in mech games makes for a larger sense of scale, it also introduces a more strategic gameplay style where the player is forced to out-think and out-maneuver the opponent rather than just the usual FPS hyper speed mill-up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,713 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

^ God Yes.

Those things dont turn on a time. You turn around a city block and 3 mechs are staring at you with lasers and you're like "oh **** oh **** oh ****."

Ehm, it was discussed on the previous thread, but if you havent been to the MWO website to reserve your pilot name, do it now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 167 ✭✭promethius42

New MechWarrior, hell to the yes.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

It looks like this is gonna be like World of Tanks, except with Mechs. I can't imagine any universe where that's a bad thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭hal9000

I hope the laser sounds are placeholders, they sound a bit too close to....pew pew :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Shiminay wrote: »
    It looks like this is gonna be like World of Tanks, except with Mechs. I can't imagine any universe where that's a bad thing.
    So we got this, PS2 and World of Airplanes to complete for attention with my WoT time; damn it I need more time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

So we are all interested in this.....

I'm sure it would be easy enough to get 10-15 players from boards.ie as the seed for an Irish clan. Depends on what the set-yp is and how much time is needed to play 'properly'.

I love the whole BattleTech universe, had model mechs many years ago, read all the books, they are currently sitting in a dusty box in the storeroom.
    I played all 4 MechWarior games as well as MechCommander (Christ the graphics in MechWarrior 2 were random polygons if my memory serves me right) I actually reinstalled Mech 4:Mercs' a few months back just to replay in for nostalgia.

Here's hoping it is good enough to satisfy the needs of fans. A lot of MechWarrior play involved stand up fights between heavy mechs. I would like to see a more open approach to the combat. A rock-paper-scissors type thing with various armours better/worse against various weapons.
    I wouldn't like to see a match where the biggest guy auto wins, what if 2-3 laser equipped medium can effectively counter the assault class monster? On pure tonnage the assault class could individually kill the mediums.

I have read a bit of the forums (and registered for the Beta)
    Closed bata is North America only. :(:mad::(:mad:

However one of the developers did post this yesterday:
    EURO PLAYERS! Please hold tight for some clarification on the press release. It's all good news!

It seems they will release a limited set of mechs at the start and the plan is to expand as the timeline develops. The game will run in the BattleMech timeline.

Mechs:
    Jenner
    Cicada
    Raven
    HunchBack
    Centurion
    Catapult
    Dragon
    Awesome
    Atlas

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Raven is a 35t ECW light vs. a 100t Atlas? I'm curious how this will be balanaced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Which mech was the super light super fast mech that you could load up with rockets, turn off the automatic heat overload turn-off, and run suicide missions into bigger mechs, so that you go nuclear when you got to them?

Nothing says "goodbye" like a bright glowing blob on your IR moving towards you at high speed :P

Nody wrote: »
    Raven is a 35t ECW light vs. a 100t Atlas? I'm curious how this will be balanaced.

I doubt people expect a scout mech to take on an Atlas. But lets team the Raven with 1-2 LRM boat mechs, the Atlas can't lock onto the raven due to the ECM suite while the raven paints the Atlas for the inbound missile salvo's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,746 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

the_syco wrote: »
    Which mech was the super light super fast mech that you could load up with rockets, turn off the automatic heat overload turn-off, and run suicide missions into bigger mechs, so that you go nuclear when you got to them?

Nothing says "goodbye" like a bright glowing blob on your IR moving towards you at high speed :P

An owens or shadowcat? I've done it in both :) The owens is/was very fast though

Tenger wrote: »
    So we are all interested in this.....

I'm sure it would be easy enough to get 10-15 players from boards.ie as the seed for an Irish clan. Depends on what the set-yp is and how much time is needed to play 'properly'.

I love the whole BattleTech universe, had model mechs many years ago, read all the books, they are currently sitting in a dusty box in the storeroom.
    I played all 4 MechWarior games as well as MechCommander (Christ the graphics in MechWarrior 2 were random polygons if my memory serves me right) I actually reinstalled Mech 4:Mercs' a few months back just to replay in for nostalgia.

Here's hoping it is good enough to satisfy the needs of fans. A lot of MechWarrior play involved stand up fights between heavy mechs. I would like to see a more open approach to the combat. A rock-paper-scissors type thing with various armours better/worse against various weapons.
    I wouldn't like to see a match where the biggest guy auto wins, what if 2-3 laser equipped medium can effectively counter the assault class monster? On pure tonnage the assault class could individually kill the mediums.

Well from watching the videos on the different classes, apparently its well balanced.All weapons do the same damage regardless of the mech they are mounted on. Of course assault mechs can carry more weapons but the mech will melt from the heat if the player tries to start firing them all off at once. So a couple of light mechs should be able to harass an assault mech and destroy it. Heat management and speed of movement considerations should really add to the tactical side of things and balance out the game play.

Apparently you need a diverse team to win, a team of all assaults will be over run by a diverse team in no time. Of course I am just going on what the developers have said so it remains to be seen. It is looking promising though. ;)

Tenger wrote: »
    I have read a bit of the forums (and registered for the Beta)
    Closed bata is North America only. :(:mad::(:mad:

We can play beta but it will be on North American servers so the quality of our play experience is not guaranteed.

They will begin inviting soon.

My pilot name is

Odysseus

Hope to see you there (And that the game is as good as the hype!).

• Advertisement

We can play beta but it will be on North American servers so the quality of our play experience is not guaranteed......
    I'm in the US quite a bit for work, so may try it out when over there (with kids at home thats where I play my games as it is!)

I'm always in the US, so watch out for me - I might try to harm you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

Got into the beta, downloading now. Check your emails :)

There is an NDA involved so can't say much more ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Sarn

Just realised I'd only reserved my pilot name and had never signed up for the beta. After all these years it'd be great to pilot a mech again.

Sarn wrote: »
    Just realised I'd only reserved my pilot name and had never signed up for the beta. After all these years it'd be great to pilot a mech again.

just a tip, the more info you add to your profile the greater chance you have of getting into the beta :)

That includes system information.

It wont let me click Submit on the beta profile questionnaire, so im screwed out of that..

Overheal wrote: »
    It wont let me click Submit on the beta profile questionnaire, so im screwed out of that..

Hmm, try a different browser?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 167 ✭✭promethius42

They wouldn't have it there if you couldn't click it, id say there was a problem with your browser or you haven't filled in all the fields properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,464 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Im 100% on the questionnaire and still pending :(

I wonder are they full up now or what is the story?

• Advertisement

Overheal wrote: »

It wouldn't let me click submit as I said I had <50mbps. When I changed it to <25 it worked. Maybe it knew I was lying about my speed :P

Advertisement