Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MechWarrior Online

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,746 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Just in case any newbies are wondering; Pro strat is Alpha Strike, Alpha Strike, Alpha Strike, coolant, Alpha Strike, Alpha Strike, eject!

havent even heard that phrase in years lol

omg an elemental, ALPHA STRIKE!
    nevermind madcats and thors and atlas's, elementals are the most dangerous things on any MW battlefield

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Man i loved the Timber Wolf. Was always the mech i chose back in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

So it's pretty cool im enjoying it albeit im a bit lost with how the weapon modules work and such.

I just wish there wasn't a stupid NDA off this game grrr Have a good few stories to tell already from the matches iv played! Would love to see this game get some form of E-Sport casting when it finally releases. Anyway if anyone got in add me as a friend StevoIRL

was gonna ask ye if there was an NDA, it's next tuesday that the early access begins and the NDA is lifted right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Stev_o wrote: »
    I just wish there wasn't a stupid NDA off this game grrr Have a good few stories to tell already from the matches iv played! Would love to see this game get some form of E-Sport casting when it finally releases. Anyway if anyone got in add me as a friend StevoIRL

Can you say how fun it is?
    Are the mech classes balanced?

Can you say how fun it is?
    Are the mech classes balanced?

I like it. To me it's more fun then I had in WoT. That said I am completely new to MechWarrior universe I only played the originals very briefly when i was like 9 or 10. Balance wise I something last night which encouraged me that it wouldn't be like WoT problems.

I like it. To me it's more fun then I had in WoT. That said I am completely new to MechWarrior universe I only played the originals very briefly when i was like 9 or 10. Balance wise I something last night which encouraged me that it wouldn't be like WoT problems.

As someone who never played WoT, does WoT suffer from Biggest Gun Always Wins syndrome?

As someone who never played WoT, does WoT suffer from Biggest Gun Always Wins syndrome?

Pretty much and WoT would pair light tanks and other sub par tanks vs ridiculous medium and heavy tanks. People said "oh you can scout" but from experience it just amounted to being 1 shotted too easily. Didn't find the same problem last night.

The founders program, all three price tiers now offer immediate access to the closed beta as well as early access on the 7th aug. Just got the cheapest one, and surprisingly they still have an NDA to agree to before you can start playing.

looking forward to this :)

• Advertisement

Gah!
    I said I wasn't gonna!
    But now I wanna!

Gah!
    I said I wasn't gonna!
    But now I wanna!

Do it and buy 4 Atlases =p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Do it and buy 4 Atlases =p
    I was sort of not planning to and then I decided for the $60 package until it wanted me to pick which one to go with and I caved in for the founder's package (as I can't decide which mech I want!).

I'm not too sure about MWO now tbh, i'll give it another shot later or over the weekend, i know it's beta and everything but it doesnt feel like it's anywhere near completed yet.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I'm not too sure about MWO now tbh, i'll give it another shot later or over the weekend, i know it's beta and everything but it doesnt feel like it's anywhere near completed yet.
    As a Mech fan I think this is as good as it will get to be honest and small quick mechs really do have a role (inc. running circles around bigger mechs killing them slowly with out the big once being able to respond properly).

just tried again twice there, changed my mech to a catapult and now when my mech gets hit with anything the entire game client crashes lol

i've no problems (apart from the above) with the games combat mechanics Nody, i just dont think it's as near to completion as it's supposed to be. Could be that age is a factor here, i was a fan of mw3 back in the days of mszone. Is the crytek engine supposed to be slightly blurry/grainy or do i need glasses?

just tried again twice there, changed my mech to a catapult and now when my mech gets hit with anything the entire game client crashes lol

i've no problems (apart from the above) with the games combat mechanics Nody, i just dont think it's as near to completion as it's supposed to be. Could be that age is a factor here, i was a fan of mw3 back in the days of mszone. Is the crytek engine supposed to be slightly blurry/grainy or do i need glasses?
    I think that's the weather effects (only got two maps so far, one snowing and one with steam) but I think once it's fully available and you can properly build your mechs (as that's an area I've not tried yet) and once there's more game modes then 10 vs. 10 assault I think it can flesh out nicely :)

there's a forest one too, the enviroment effects i can understand, but that blurry effect is a constant on all the maps, am using an ati radeon hd 5670 on this machine, never had any issues with video showing up blurred like that before. Drivers are up to date, and like i said i've played around with the video settings to see if it's something there. But yeah, same blurry grainy type video. Infact it's like that on youtube videos too.

I know it's an almost totally different game, but the level of crisp details in WoT is far superior to Mwo. Unless that can be changed or my video card needs replacing then i dont see myself playing this very much beyond the month i've already paid for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,713 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I was honestly going to go for the founders pack just for the early access. Still no word on release date yet though.

My only problem with Beta's though (I've tried Tribes and Stargate Worlds in the past) is theyre always buggy as **** and make you lose your sense of enthusiasm for the release.

.........having said that...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Can anyone tell me if I will need a joystick to play this properly.....last time I used a joystick with a PC was for MW4!!

• Advertisement

i ment to say, shortly after (less than 24 hours) i bought a founders pack, i got a refund.

you can easily use a mouse to play this. But it wasnt the game i thought it would be, not a patch on any of the previous mechwarrior games. Save your cash imo, and just play it when it's released as an f2p model.

i ment to say, shortly after (less than 24 hours) i bought a founders pack, i got a refund......

Any reason?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

WOO-HOO; got a beta code. Will be playing this during the week sometime.

If all else fails, I'll just download Crysis Wars (the Crysis2 multiplayer section) which I got in the Steam sale, and install Living Legends when I make space for it on the SSD.

i ment to say, shortly after (less than 24 hours) i bought a founders pack, i got a refund.

you can easily use a mouse to play this. But it wasnt the game i thought it would be, not a patch on any of the previous mechwarrior games. Save your cash imo, and just play it when it's released as an f2p model.
    Not sure what you mean, gameplay-wise I'm hooked. Beta doesn't have a lot of the inter-match appeal that a MW game has because it's Beta: plenty of mechs to pick from for practically peanuts, so you get to play around with builds and see what works and see what needs tweaking.

Ran behind an Atlas today in a Jenner and blew him sky high :D Blew people up from a mile away in a catapault. Alpha-striked the crap out of everyone in a PPC-Awesome. And got base-raped more than a few times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

Overheal wrote: »
    Not sure what you mean, gameplay-wise I'm hooked. Beta doesn't have a lot of the inter-match appeal that a MW game has because it's Beta: plenty of mechs to pick from for practically peanuts, so you get to play around with builds and see what works and see what needs tweaking.

Ran behind an Atlas today in a Jenner and blew him sky high :D Blew people up from a mile away in a catapault. Alpha-striked the crap out of everyone in a PPC-Awesome. And got base-raped more than a few times.

I really, really hope the game is going to be good. Normally I avoid free to play games like the plague.... but I'd murder my entire family for a good mechwarrior game...

... all of them...

Tenger wrote: »
    Any reason?
    for the refund? i just didnt enjoy it and asked for a refund. Didnt feel like a mechwarrior game at all to me.
    Overheal wrote: »

see, thats the kind of memory i have of mw3 and 4 back in the day, but for whatever reason, age probably having a rose tinted effect or something i just couldnt get into it the way i could with previous mw titles. I know it's in beta, that didnt bother me at all. not a fan of the engine it runs on either, it looked awful on this machine.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,430 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I had had a crack at this game back in E3, but didn't have time. I spent a bit more time at the MW desk at PAX this weekend, and honestly am not convinced. Three or four computers to the left were running Mechwarrior Tactics, which somehow seems to have completely slipped my notice until now: It seems to be a direct port of the board game. Now that I know it exists, I may well choose to spend my time on that instead of MWO.

I think the big problem with MWO as it stands is the lack of feedback given to the player. I never really got to see any legs get blown off or shoulder hardpoints have their missile launchers explode, it seemed that I just kept hammering away at the opposition until they blew up. Controls seemed a bit dodgy, but I'll write that off to just my not being familiar with them and the guy standing over my shoulder giving instructions not having much time to do one-on-one tutorial. Situational awareness also seemed horrible, but again, maybe there are just some keys I was not aware of.

I should have a beta key now (They had QR codes to scan in the restrooms) so may give it more time, but so far, I don't see myself spending money on this, which I think is a bit surprising: I was expecting it to eat into my World of Tanks time a little bit.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I got access to the beta yesterday. Didn't buy it yet, so must have just gotten lucky. Will give it a go over the next few days to see what it's like.

I had had a crack at this game back in E3, but didn't have time........Three or four computers to the left were running Mechwarrior Tactics, which somehow seems to have completely slipped my notice until now: It seems to be a direct port of the board game. Now that I know it exists, I may well choose to spend my time on that instead of MWO.

These seems a lot more my speed.......tried MWO and found it a bit frantic....never been a good FPS player, felt the same way with MWO....must learn the coolant flush hotkey

• Advertisement

Coolant Flush hasn't been implemented yet :P

I'd call the game early Beta. NTM is right a lot of feedback isn't implemented. Even when you target a mech (press R) theres a delay in the way the game feeds you enemy data (which is a mechanic) but yes the damage isn't fully implemented by the looks of it, if you lose a leg you don't "lose a leg", your movement stops a helluvalot though. There aren't any internal ammo explosions (but CASE expansions are to be implemented, those upgrades that compartmentalize your ammo) and most importantly to me anyway, your cockpit is far too damn quiet because they havent yet implemented any of the voice feedback. (And LRMs suck for damage and damage-feedback)

Not that, you know, the classic cockpit wasn't loud as hell:

DEEETDEETDEEETDEETDEET CRITICAL HIT: ARM. CRITICAL HIT: WEAPON DETROYED. CRITICAL HIT: HEAT SINK. Reactor Heat at 700 Kelvin.. CRITICAL H- BWEOOOOOOOOOOPP REACTOR CRITICAL: SHUTDOWN IMMINE- BLEDDYDIBOOP Emergency Heat Shutdown Overriden. Shutting Down. Reactor: Online. Sensors: Online. Weapons: Online. All systems nominal. DEEETDEETDEET CRITICAL HIT - Ejecting....CRITICAL HIT...

Ohhh just wait till they implement voice chat...

Definitely early beta though, they haven't even announced a launch date yet. The right features will get added though for sure.

Advertisement