Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Faulty lock/bolt on window

• 15-05-2012 6:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭

Hey folks, I'm having a bit of trouble fixing a window which isn't working properly.
    It's one of those double-glazed door like windows which is locked when the handle is down (bolt all the way up), swings open when the handle is turned horizontally (bolt in the middle), and opens inward if the handle is turned facing the ceiling (bolt at the bottom).
    The issue is the final part. It simply won't turn past the horizontal position. The handle just stops abruptly.

Here's an image of it: http://i.imgur.com/sPQyY.jpg

Ignoring the little broken latch on the bottom part (as far as I can tell it just holds the bottom strip flush with the rest of it), the handle is now in the horizontal position which means the bolt should be in the middle of its area. As you can see it's actually at the very bottom, which means when I try to move the handle upward it doesn't have anywhere to go, and so refuses to budge.

Is there any way to move the bolt so that it's where it should be?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

You're describing a tilt and turn window, and they are notoriously difficult to do anything with them unless you're very experienced with then. I'd recommend getting the manufacturer back out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Ambersky

Hope the OP doesnt mind my asking but I am interested in how you go about getting window latches fixed too.
    I have teak windows with a little handle right and left and then a latch on the bottom they are 20 years old and need to be made more secure and fitted to seal the windows better. These window just open out from the bottom.
    Dont want to go back to origional manufacturer as they are Munster Joinery. :eek:

Advertisement