Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pension payments while on career break

• 15-05-2012 7:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

I'm heading on a career break but want to continue to pay my pension while I'm gone. Just not sure how much that will cost me. Tried getting onto the Dept. of Ed. but o course trying to get a reply from them is, well, impossible!

There are a few things in the deductions section of my payslip that refer to pensions:
    1.5% SP. & CH.- PEN
    Pension Related Ded
    Pension - Grouped

Does anyone know if I would have to pay all three of those while on career break or if only some of them would apply?
    Or could it even be the case that I might be paying more than these three while on career break? - cos I might not be getting tax breaks on some of it etc?

Any info at all would be appreciated. Basically just wondering how much my pension is gonna cost me while away. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 442 ✭✭trihead

hi,

I'm nearly sure you are not allowed do this. I did some research a while back as was thinking about doing the same [ didn't take break in the end] - it might have changed since? Was told you are allowed buy back the years when you come back either in a lump sum for each year [ which can work out crazy money for some] or monthly deduction for the rest of your service - it will depend on your age and service history.

trihead

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭kalamityjim

ooooh not good news! People have been advising me to keep up pension payments but then again, I don't think any of them were ever in really in this situation so they're probably not aware that it mightn't even be possible!

How would it be that the lump sum would be crazy money? You saying that it just all adds up over time or do you mean that there would be extra charges/taxes on it that would drive up the amount? I suppose if keeping up the pension payments isn't possible, I could just put the money away on a monthly basis and buy it back when I return to Ireland...

thanks for the reply btw!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I took a career break a good few years ago now. I was out for 2 years and I paid pension payments for one of them. It was a good old whack of money at the time as I recall - about IR£12000 IIRC.

Ah lads, I hardly pay that much in pension?!
    Did you pay that per month/fortnight while you were away or did you wait and pay it in one lump sum when you got back?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I paid it in a lump sum.
    It was part of the few bob left to me by my granny that allowed me take the career break in the first place. I couldn't afford to pay for the second year.

You don't just pay your pension contribution, you pay the employer's too.
    I know it's not cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,596 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

and don;'t forget that its tax deductable but if your not earning and hence not paying tax, it seems very expensive. Remember you would normally pay 42% of that in tax anyways......

Advertisement