Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing W995 Housing; Problems?

Options
  • 15-05-2012 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭

Hi everybody. I am interested in changing my W995's housing to a different colour. I found some different colours in eBay which has the same names on the housing so I thought why not. I would just like to ask, what could be the problems that I could run into? What are the ways to avoid these problems?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Not really that many, once your careful. Its only 8 little screws. Dont over tighten.

The biggest thing will be the quality of the new housing. A lot are rubbish, and may not fit exact and may allow dust in etc. If your only changing the covers its handy, because you dont need to take the board off, or touch the sliding mechanism. Get a T6 with the housing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭LeakingLava

Davy wrote: »
    Not really that many, once your careful. Its only 8 little screws. Dont over tighten.

The biggest thing will be the quality of the new housing. A lot are rubbish, and may not fit exact and may allow dust in etc. If your only changing the covers its handy, because you dont need to take the board off, or touch the sliding mechanism. Get a T6 with the housing

Cool Thanks. It's great to hear that. Although I've recently gone into a shop of mobile phone repairs,etc. and I've asked that if I bought the housing, would they change it, they've said that they don't because they usually give network problems or something like that. And I've searched about it earlier and I've seen another forum which had an OP saying that he/she had problems with and somebody replied that if the case was metal, there would usually be a problem about network or something like that. Would you be able to certify that there absolutely won't be any problem to it like that person?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Cool Thanks. It's great to hear that. Although I've recently gone into a shop of mobile phone repairs,etc. and I've asked that if I bought the housing, would they change it, they've said that they don't because they usually give network problems or something like that. And I've searched about it earlier and I've seen another forum which had an OP saying that he/she had problems with and somebody replied that if the case was metal, there would usually be a problem about network or something like that. Would you be able to certify that there absolutely won't be any problem to it like that person?

Couldn't 100% rule anything out, but i cant see the problem with this model. If your worried you can get the original covers in black, white and red iirc. If you dont like these and want another colour, purchase from someone who will take returns to cover yourself.

Davy wrote: »
    Couldn't 100% rule anything out, but i cant see the problem with this model. If your worried you can get the original covers in black, white and red iirc. If you dont like these and want another colour, purchase from someone who will take returns to cover yourself.

Yeah I think I like it to be blue. What do you think about this item? Looks alright. They also accept returns so I think it would be my best bet.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/230590597429?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2648#ht_6215wt_796

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Few times I changed covers made by third party manufacturers, made the phone useless. K800i and iPhone 4

For the K800i the reception got so bad I couldn't get any coverage down the countryside. iPhone 4 wasn't as bad, but WiFi reception got horrible, mobile network signal didn't go down that much, not that it was high to start with anyway.

Just keep that in mind when getting it :) They all work as covers, but may not work with the phone very well, depends how their designed.

• Advertisement

Few times I changed covers made by third party manufacturers, made the phone useless. K800i and iPhone 4

For the K800i the reception got so bad I couldn't get any coverage down the countryside. iPhone 4 wasn't as bad, but WiFi reception got horrible, mobile network signal didn't go down that much, not that it was high to start with anyway.

Just keep that in mind when getting it :) They all work as covers, but may not work with the phone very well, depends how their designed.

Ahh..I did not want to hear that :( Did you change back? Did it work after if you did?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Use genuine Sony Parts or don't bother, you don't sound confident enough to do it so don't. Some sonys are sealed using glue and need to be heated and re-sealed not sure if the 995 is, if the casing isn't broke you could just get a new skin for it for about €15 other eise expect to pay about €50 to get a new case in somewhere like fonemenders.

Use genuine Sony Parts or don't bother, you don't sound confident enough to do it so don't. Some sonys are sealed using glue and need to be heated and re-sealed not sure if the 995 is, if the casing isn't broke you could just get a new skin for it for about €15 other eise expect to pay about €50 to get a new case in somewhere like fonemenders.

I'm actually feeling positive about changing it because of seeing this: http://www.formymobile.co.uk/w995disassembly.php

After seeing that, I thought, it couldn't be hard could it? I couldn't really find 'skins' for it. All I see around are these rubber silicone things and they aren't good at all because they stick to your pockets and if you're trying to rush to get to a call you can never take it out of your pocket..really annoying..lol.

Thanks for the input! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Ahh..I did not want to hear that :( Did you change back? Did it work after if you did?

I just stopped using the K800i, I got two brand new ones for 120 euro back then, so messing around with covers and replacing them wasnt worth it. Especially after spending 25 quid already on the crappy cover that screwed it up later.

iPhone one still has it. Not really bothered about spending around 180 to get the whole genuine decent casing for it :) the cheap one will have to do, I don't use the iPhone as a daily driver anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I'm actually feeling positive about changing it because of seeing this: http://www.formymobile.co.uk/w995disassembly.php

After seeing that, I thought, it couldn't be hard could it? I couldn't really find 'skins' for it. All I see around are these rubber silicone things and they aren't good at all because they stick to your pockets and if you're trying to rush to get to a call you can never take it out of your pocket..really annoying..lol.

Thanks for the input! :)

That's now way an easy job if your not used to it, odds are you'll damage a ribbon or something else, the pictures make it look a sinch, it's not. Your going to find it very hard to find a genuine cover, you may pick up a grade A one for about €30/€35. An official repair company will charge about €50 for the sake of €15 i'd let them do it.
    You can get a skin here for €12.99 http://www.wrappz.ie/createyourown/devices/phones/sony-ericsson/4,13

• Advertisement
Advertisement