Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Menupages a good source???

Options
  • 15-05-2012 7:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40

After leaving a review- albeit a negative one on menupages, 4 days later my review is not published.
    I received no word from them either.
    I would have trusted this site but perhaps they ignore bad reviews and just post the good ones?
    Did any1 have this experience?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭heavyballs

After leaving a review- albeit a negative one on menupages, 4 days later my review is not published.
    I received no word from them either.
    I would have trusted this site but perhaps they ignore bad reviews and just post the good ones?
    Did any1 have this experience?
    Negative reviews are posted once all adds up in terms of your previous reviews etc,e mail them,they will respond

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i heard they remove negative reviews

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

There have long been rumours that they remove negative reviews, making them utterly useless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Sure you can sure places based on ratings. You wouldn't be able to do that if they removed negative reviews.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭heavyballs

snappieT wrote: »
    There have long been rumours that they remove negative reviews, making them utterly useless.
    Not true as I've posted a fair few negs,the odd time a disgruntled ex worker or rival might go a bit ott and that won't be posted as it won't be a fair representation of what one should expect and that's up to the sites mod/owner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

There was a thread in consumer issues about menupages a good while back. The general consensus was that they're basically a digital media protection racket and that restaurants effectively pay to stay in good standing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

^ exactly right, they are a crowd of complete spoofers.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Lollymcd

AFAIK restaurants have to pay to be included on www.menupages.ie you can pay more for a bigger display, it's not really in menupages interests for their big clients to have bad reviews.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

If they remove bad reviews, why are there bad reviews on the site?

I have given bad reviews before. Once they asked me to change/reword one as the review could be libellous - I got served essentially raw chicken but they asked could I change it because they could get sued for that.

If it is your first review, it may take a while to go up as I have seen may reviews slate one place while also giving they their main competitor a hugely over the top review talking about how good it is, and what amazing value it is, etc.

Unless the reviewer has a high review listing, I generally doubt them, tbf.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 SeosamhOC

If the restaurant owners complain enough about the content of your review it will removed or not be posted at all. Happened to me. I quit posting after that. There was some talk of legal action etc. You need proof not just an opinion. So if you are having a very bad experience at a restaurant make your complaint to the manager calmly and clearly then get names of waiter & manager etc. & take pics of the food or whatever your complaint is about if possible, make sure you get a receipt and keep it. You can’t choose restaurants based on reviews posted there. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭emilyjmc

I wouldn't tend to put much trues in Menupages - I think Yelp is much better for restaurant reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

In fairness, if some reviews go too far, it's understandable they're not going to be uploaded due to liability for defamation by virtue of hosting them.

There are definitely bad reviews up there and some places ONLY have bad reviews - one or two that were the subject of GroupOn deals particularly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

I had a review not published. It wasn't emotive or over the top, I basically highlighted how chaotically a booking had been handled and how poor the interaction with the front of house staff had been. Never published, emailed to ask why and had no response. A positive review of the restaurant we had eventually ended up in was published on the same night.

Don't put any store in the reviews published on menupages at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Bluetonic wrote: »

Ha I remember that well, haven't taken any reviews on menupages seriously since! Its kind of sad in this digital age that I have to get recommendations for restaurant by word of mouth

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭ScottSF

Thanks for pointing this experience about negative reviews to us as I had no idea. I actually tend to ignore reviews on Menupages (I guess that is a good thing since I find Yelp and sometimes TripAdvisor a better source of real and honest reviews). My main goal is to quickly view a menu for a restaurant that is new to me.

So many restaurants have Flash websites which are mostly useless on mobile phones or the menu is a PDF file that is again tricky on mobile. I just want to know when they are open and see what the menu is like in general - kind of food and price range - in as few clicks as possible.

My biggest annoyance with Menupages is their lack of attention to detail. I've received several emails from them (like restaurant deals) with spelling mistakes. Glaring ones that any spell checker would catch.

Also has anyone relied on WhoseView.ie for reviews? Are they more willing to let negative reviews remain?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

I always found Yelp to be a more balanced review site. Very rarely used here though. Hope to change when its integrated into the new Apple Maps service.

Advertisement