Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Martin Adams Walks Out on BDO Board

• 15-05-2012 7:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭

Three-time BDO Lakeside Champion Martin Adams has stood down from his role as Players Director, but will continue as a player under the organisation, the BDO confirmed today.

Speculation had been growing over the past few days surrounding a possible 'Wolfie' resignation and the news was today confirmed by a statement on the BDO website.

The statement read: "Following the recent meeting of the BDO Board of Directors, the resignation of Martin Adams as Players Director was reluctantly accepted."

The 55-year-old held the role for less than a year following an overhaul of the board in August 2011 and will now focus solely once again on playing and retaining his place at the top.

His letter to Chairman Barry Gilbey stated: “I have tried over the last few years to put something back into the sport and the organisation that has been so good to me. I have remained loyal to the BDO and will continue to do so, but only as a player. I cannot devote any more time to the administration of the sport.”

Many felt the role was a conflict of interest for the longstanding England captain, who has remained loyal to the BDO, despite numerous invitations to join the game's elite in the PDC.

In a recent interview newly elected Chairman Barry Gilbey said: "Things were moving very slowly under the new board of directors so since then we’ve tried to drive it forward and by doing that we’re having to get more people involved.

"We’re building a platform underneath the board which wasn’t there before as the board were doing everything. We’ve got more people doing various jobs and helping to make decisions that will expand the upper level of the company.

When asked how he thought the BDO is generally perceived, Gilbey said: "In my view the BDO is perceived in two ways. The first is that we’re running second best to the PDC in regards to the top end of our game, but that’s up to us to make the top end of the game more appealing.

On the flip side at grassroots level I believe we’re perceived very well because we provide darts for everybody, from the youth system, to the pub player, right through to the top end."
    Updated BDO Board of Directors:

BARRY GILBEY, Chairman with responsibility for development.
    WAYNE WILLIAMS, Tournament Director
    VIC SEXTON, Rules & Disciplinary Director
    DEREK WESTON, Youth Director
    SUE WILLIAMS, BICC and Minutes Director

Executive Directors:
    ROD HARVEY, Company Secretary with responsibility for Finance
    ROBERT HOLMES, Communications/Liaison Director

http://www.live-darts.com/category/Darts-News/Adams-resigns-from-board-201205150001/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 563 ✭✭✭buster180

He and John Walton also refused to play In an EDO event because PDC players were playing in the event.

Advertisement